A dog can do a difference - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2015, 10:47 PM

Our boy protects us from the mail man, UPS, Fedex, trash trucks, etc.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Sometime in the spring.
I dont know why but I think those little dogs are just the cutest. I have debated getting one but not sure if I could stand the yappy terrier thing.

Sistema we have a rescued dog that looks a LOT like yours. Call mine Colt

Last edited by Markbo; 12-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:39 PM

4 Dutch shepherds, 2 German Shepherds and 1 Malinois.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Peanut is not that yappie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
I dont know why but I think those little dogs are just the cutest. I have debated getting one but not sure if I could stand the yappy terrier thing.

Sistema we have a rescued dog that looks a LOT like yours. Call mine Colt
But we live 1/2 mile from the nearest public road and are surrounded by forest. It is pretty quiet out here. I am not so sure how he would be in a busier environment. Of all of the dogs that I have ever had, he is by far the smartest. It took me about two hours to house train him. And he has a lot of character and is a lot of fun. He is also full of hell. To give you an idea of his size. These are the pajamas that we made for him out of a stocking cap.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01755.JPG  
Old 12-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Scary Weim !

This is our 65lb of pure terror.............not. Smart and a good watch dog, not much of a guard dog, but in terms of early warning of folks on the property, matchless
Attached Thumbnails
Gunnar attending concalls.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
If I can help it, a dog will always be part of my family life. Grew up with large dogs, but my wife's family was the opposite when it came to pets. When we finally got one, my daughter picked out one that she fell in love with. Wasn't sure a small dog would be right for us (18lbs soaking wet), but as it turned out, she's quite a darling.

She's also the meanest, most alert, little ball of fur I've come across. She's great at letting me know if anyone comes near the property. Not just arbitrarily barking, but discerning friend, family, and foe.

I've come to learn when she goes off, so will I.

Just an update to my post. We've since gotten a companion for my little ball of hate.

Here he is with her big sister as she teaches him what's the best way to ambush the postman.

Can't wait to see how big he gets. We think he's a poodle/schnauzer mix.

Sleeping at his post.

Last edited by Brian48; 12-28-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:31 PM

I can be sitting around the house with the tv on volume up loud enough to hear all over the house, the dogs will be laying in the floor half asleep the all of a sudden jump up and go crazy barking and growling. I'll look out the window and it will be a cat or squirrel in the front yard across the street. How the h** do they hear that? Yes a dog can do a difference.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:12 PM

My new beast

This is the new beast Milo. He is 1/2 lab and 1/4 German Shepard, Doberman. He was 11 weeks old in this picture. He seems to be taking to training fairly well, the key for him is to burn off his energy before trying to work with him. At 13 weeks he is 35 pounds.

Here he is with the old guard dog Ruben. Ru is a 14 year old Lab/Boxer mix. He's getting tired and is probably on his last year.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MK IV View Post
I can see you, like some of my colleagues, are a "Malle" person. Nice looking dogs, especially your present "colleague".
Sorry, I haven't checked back in a while and I missed your post. Thanks for the kind words.

You're right, GSD's are great dogs, but I've been totally spoiled by Mals...there will be no other dog for me from here on out. I like my dogs like I like my women...fast, agile, and with just a touch of a loose screw.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM

Another ACD

Since Tactical Rico posted up a picture of a beautiful Australian Cattle Dog, I have to add one of mine. My wife found him at the local animal shelter. I didn't know anything about ACD's before this one, but they're fairly awesome. He knows a bunch of tricks, not because we work with him that much, but because he's so eager to please. He learns everything really fast. The only two problems we have with him are trying to keep a working dog from getting bored in a suburban home, and he tends to be aggressive towards other dogs. Visiting the local dog park is out of the question. He LOVES humans, though. I could turn him loose in an elementary school or a senior living center, and feel safe that no one would get hurt (except maybe due to clumsiness?). Since he's SO friendly, we wondered how he would treat a burglar. Until one night my parents came to visit and arrived very late, after everyone was in bed. They tried to let themselves in quietly, but Loki woke up and gave them the full "I'm going to tear you up" barking/growling treatment, until he recognized my dad's voice. I guess there's an important difference between being let into the house by a family member, versus arriving in the middle of the night unannounced.
Attached Thumbnails
Image0076.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 11:38 PM

Just picked up this boy beuaty this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by RubenZ; 01-13-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:48 AM

Congratulations, Ruben!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 01-14-2016, 07:49 AM

Here are my two girls. They are extremely protective of the wife and myself. Also they will let you know if someones on the property. They both go with me every morning for a 2 mile walk. And they love rough housing with each other outside.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Love your dogs! I dont want to be the downer here but life is life. I am in shock. I am still sick. No tears yet but they will be here soon. My small boy dog, 15 year old Einstein is dead. The pit bull mix we inherited from Lynda's Mom killed him last night. Broke his neck. They were all outside after dinner. I heard Maggie barking like crazy and went to see what was up. I saw Khloe standing over Einstein and I came running. So I didnt witness it until it was over but held him as he took his last gasping breaths telling him how much I loved him and how sorry I am. I buried him in the dark. He has been my faithful loving companion since he was a 6 week old pup. I will see him one day over the Rainbow Bridge.

I will never set eyes on Khloe again. My step son Michael was kind enough to take her before I had 2 dogs to bury. I wont beat her but I could easily kill her. What makes this just a little harder is that Khloe attached to me. She became Daddy's girl. So Ive really lost 2 loved dogs. But I couldnt keep her. Im afraid how I might treat her and of course she couldnt ever be trusted again. I had a fist balled up and her by the scruff of the neck and decided rather than throw that punch and probably many more I just screamed.

Keep me in your prayers. I am sure I will be ... I dont know what Ill be. Probably just sad. Really really sad.

See you at the Rainbow Bridge little buddy
Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Well, I came to the site for the gun talk.. Had to join because of the dog talk.

6 year old male Drahthaar. Hell on wheels and stubborn as a mule. But I sleep soundly knowing he always has 1 ear tuned in for the unwelcome.

Him giving me the finger right from the get go.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you want to run with the big boys you better be willing to play in the snow.

[IMG][/IMG]

King of the mountain.

[IMG][/IMG]

Keeping the old man in shape on the off season.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss Markbo, I know it can be a hard thing to deal with. Here is my first line of defense. Went out in the living room and found this guy hard at work guarding the house. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	159670

Last edited by philk; 01-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Love your dogs! I dont want to be the downer here but life is life. I am in shock. I am still sick. No tears yet but they will be here soon. My small boy dog, 15 year old Einstein is dead. The pit bull mix we inherited from Lynda's Mom killed him last night. Broke his neck. They were all outside after dinner. I heard Maggie barking like crazy and went to see what was up. I saw Khloe standing over Einstein and I came running. So I didnt witness it until it was over but held him as he took his last gasping breaths telling him how much I loved him and how sorry I am. I buried him in the dark. He has been my faithful loving companion since he was a 6 week old pup. I will see him one day over the Rainbow Bridge.

I will never set eyes on Khloe again. My step son Michael was kind enough to take her before I had 2 dogs to bury. I wont beat her but I could easily kill her. What makes this just a little harder is that Khloe attached to me. She became Daddy's girl. So Ive really lost 2 loved dogs. But I couldnt keep her. Im afraid how I might treat her and of course she couldnt ever be trusted again. I had a fist balled up and her by the scruff of the neck and decided rather than throw that punch and probably many more I just screamed.

Keep me in your prayers. I am sure I will be ... I dont know what Ill be. Probably just sad. Really really sad.

See you at the Rainbow Bridge little buddy
You did the right thing having her taken away without exacting revenge. Putting her down if she's a danger is understandable, but beating her is another. Especially if she doesn't understand why. God bless.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 PM

We have two. Our heeler runs our lives and our kelpie runs everything else. Nothing would run smoothly without him. No ranch, no business. He is as fine a working animal as I have ever come across. Atrocious pet for the first couple of years, but he is pretty nice now and we would be lost without him. The heeler works tennis balls and tugs, but he is a love.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:48 AM

I love dogs and dog threads. Every dog you ever loved is the "best" dog ever.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM

My beast, Max
Old 02-11-2016, 03:59 PM

All beautiful dogs. We had a St. Bernard we sorta inherited, couldn't get her to wear the cask thing....She would let us know anytime someone came on the property, and was large enough to back it up. Some fool came on the property and shot her, said he thought it was a deer. We had an interesting talk while waiting. Deputy and Game Warden neighbor showed up, BOTH dog lovers...It's amazing how quickly and completely dogs can work their way into your heart.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Here is Kimber, she is a DDR long hair German Shepherd.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 02-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Another
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM

GTX - good looking dog. My friend had a long hair GSD that they just had to put down. It was young but had a lot of health issues.

My shepherd is a baby but is good at letting me know when someone is here. And even though shes a baby she has the look and bark to keep the bad people away (although she is determined that one of my neighbors is a bad person and attacks the fence anytime theyre out. I'm usually pretty quick to get her in so she isnt so annoying but still makes me wonder about them since she is a good judge of character).

Here she is in her favorite spot on the couch and begging for some hand outs.
Attached Thumbnails
20140214_201652.jpg   20140527_195234.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 11:10 AM

All Good looking dags.

Truly, these fuzzy family members are a gift.
Great pics, I'll dig mine out and get them posted.