Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM

My killers.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShot! View Post
My killers.

They must have needed a nap after all the heavy patrol duty they did!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 AM

My Old English Mastiff at about 18 months of age. Not overly aggressive, but a great early warning system. One "WOOF" from her will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MK IV View Post
Labs are the best dogs. We use them in the army as "minedogs", "bombdogs" and "drugdogs". A lab is also a 100 % familydog and so easy to train and be with.
Lol...that's no lab.

That's what I meant by "lap" dog. 100# German Shepherd
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1422811370401.jpeg   uploadfromtaptalk1422811382488.jpeg   uploadfromtaptalk1422811505807.JPG  
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
I live next door to a German Shepherd...a really dumb one.
I've lived here for three years now and the dog doesn't realize yet that I'm no threat to her or her house...I just want to be in my back yard to do yard work, or cook on the grill, ...or practice my chip shots.
All she wants to do is charge the fence with growls and flashing teeth and bark like the world is coming to an end...relentlessly, for the whole time I'm out there.
Very annoying.....I look to her owner and he just gives me an "oh well" shrug of the shoulders.
Good watch dog for sure....but dumb.
My neighbor's dog is the same way. A large, black hound who charges the fence barking at anyone who approaches. Used to do that to me as well when I walk by or out doing the lawn. The owner is an old woman who has trouble controlling her so she's kept mostly behind a chain fence.

One day I got fed up with it and just got a small bag of dog biscuits to keep it occupied. After tossing it a biscuit a couple of times, she continued to come charging up to me, but with her tag wagging and begging/whining for a treat. Now she loves me and the kids. Gets along real well with my little dog as well. Happy to say, that really made our relationship with our neighbor.

Dogs are just better than people.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
I live next door to a German Shepherd...a really dumb one.
I've lived here for three years now and the dog doesn't realize yet that I'm no threat to her or her house...I just want to be in my back yard to do yard work, or cook on the grill, ...or practice my chip shots.
All she wants to do is charge the fence with growls and flashing teeth and bark like the world is coming to an end...relentlessly, for the whole time I'm out there.
Very annoying.....I look to her owner and he just gives me an "oh well" shrug of the shoulders.
Good watch dog for sure....but dumb.
The last batch of next door neighbors moved into town from the country. (Small town)
They had a lab that was a great farm dog. His problem was he thought I was an intruder when I'd go out in my back yard.

So I first asked the owner if it'd be ok to give the dog a treat once a day.

The owner thought it'd be ok.

So every time I came out into the yard and the dog barked, I'd say "Bad Dog! No Biscuit." If he didn't bark, I'd say "Good Boy" every time and give him a milk bone once a day saying "Good Boy".

Didn't take him long to figure it out.

Got to the point that when I'd come home, that dog would be in the shade on the east side of the house and come tripping over to the west side where we bordered, sit patiently and wait for his milk bone. And quit barking at me every time I was out.

Heard him barking like mad one day. Stepped out and there were two utility guys from the city checking gas lines. He wouldn't let them into the fenced yard. Being a small town, I knew them and offered to hold the dog while they did their check. They were a little dubious until I let myself into the yard, told the dog "Sit" and when he sat, handed him a milk bone and clipped a leash on his collar. (I sometimes looked after him when owner was away). The utility guys did their thing and left the yard. I unhooked the dog and joined them outside. They both commented that they were glad I was there as he acted like he wanted a piece of them. I told them it wasn't an act.

He'd learned wife and I were part of his people and no longer barked at us. Utility guys on the other hand are considered intruders.

Maybe if you do the "Bad Dog, No Biscuit" routine with your neighbors dog, it'll learn to hush.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:42 PM

My wife and I feel really well protected by this guy.

I thought that we were going to have to put him down when all of the neighborhood kids started to disappear. But we started feeding him more and he calmed down. Eight lb. of sheer terror!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Photo Viewer Wallpaper.jpg  

Last edited by USMM guy; 02-01-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Hey USMM, they're great at keeping premises rodent free.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM

1911MKIV,

I like the pictures of Charlie. His expression makes him look like he is considering which part of you would taste the best.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 02-01-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:49 PM

We have a GSD named Rudi who is momma's boy and protector since my wife has cancer and now disabled and home alone when I'm at work. He loves kids and is a great pet but puts up with no funny business. There have been a couple of salesman that came to the door that wouldn't take "no" for an answer until my wife asked if they really wanted her to open the door with the snarling dog looking at them through window next to the door. They quickly decided to move on.

Dogs are great to have around and I know Rudi would lay down his life to protect the family. When we're at our place in northern Michigan in the boonies, he follows the grand kids and keeps a close eye on them.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 PM

You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Hey USMM, they're great at keeping premises rodent free.
So far he is the only rodent that I have encountered in my house to date.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:31 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QpmJHu7bQ

Couldn't resist.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:20 AM

Thanks Brian and NHA...I may give the treat thing a try.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride! View Post
Lol...that's no lab.

That's what I meant by "lap" dog. 100# German Shepherd
Ha, ha I could tell it looks VERY much NOT like a Lab, but I didn't dare write something like:

"I'm 53 and have owned dogs since I was 16. Many times more then one at a time, and that is NOT a lab on the picture!!!"

Just don't mess with a mans best friend so if you say its a lab its a lab

Last edited by 1911MK IV; 02-02-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM

i have a airdale luv that dog!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
1911MKIV,

I like the pictures of Charlie. His expression makes him look like he is considering which part of you would taste the best.
Well he is going for the leg (always) when he decides him self. When ordered to attack he goes for the gun hand (if no gun just the hand he likes best).
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Beautiful. The pictures made my morning.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM

What are the army dogs trained to do?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:05 AM

Old 02-28-2015, 12:10 PM

I agree and support the OP post. I have 3 yappers who alert my family any time a person approaches our house. Although annoying to my wife, I feel much better knowing that our loyal dogs have that instinct to alert us when non-fmaily members are nearby.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Here's mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4735.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	139914

And here she is when I tell her we're going to buy another gun.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4736.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	139915
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MK IV View Post
I've always been a dogperson but even if I wasn't I would have to say that a dog can do a difference when it comes to prepareness. I've worked with army K9 for almost 30 years and I have seen how much more safe and ready one can be, if a dog (or 3 ) is around.

My homeprotection is a German Shepeard (trained as a army K9). No one can get near my house with out my dog telling me. He is backed up by my two hunting labradors (black = the mother. Yellow = son).

My dogs are like a constance burgleralarm. No matter if they are in the house, outside the house, in the car or if I'm camping.

Even a small "PET-dog" can do a difference. All you need is a warning in order to get the upperhand and "get ready"

those are wonderful looking dogs
Old 03-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Great looking dogs everyone! I'm also a german shepherd owner.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM

Here's my security alarm.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM

As a tactical move. I trained my dog.

To pretend to be dead at the first sound of gunfire.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut&22-250 006.JPG