A dog can do a difference - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2015, 04:48 AM

A dog can do a difference

I've always been a dogperson but even if I wasn't I would have to say that a dog can do a difference when it comes to prepareness. I've worked with army K9 for almost 30 years and I have seen how much more safe and ready one can be, if a dog (or 3 ) is around.

My homeprotection is a German Shepeard (trained as a army K9). No one can get near my house with out my dog telling me. He is backed up by my two hunting labradors (black = the mother. Yellow = son).

My dogs are like a constance burgleralarm. No matter if they are in the house, outside the house, in the car or if I'm camping.

Even a small "PET-dog" can do a difference. All you need is a warning in order to get the upperhand and "get ready"

Last edited by 1911MK IV; 01-31-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 AM

Those are good looking dogs.

My lazy friend would only show an intruder where his cookies are kept.
(actually he scared the crap out of the Comcast guy)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:57 AM
Banned

wonderful group of k9s !!!

is that the same Shepard in both pics?.....somehow the markings look different.

we have 4 large and 1 tiny ......and a moth can't fly through the neighborhood w/o us knowing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Nice shepherd. I bleached mine.
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1422711430725.jpeg  
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 AM

Life ain't right without dogs!

You have a ready and willing friend...an extra set of eyes to see for you...an extra brain to do some of the thinking...the best security system known
Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 AM

Attack Lab!
Actually Not much in the bite dept but he's a great early warning system
Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 AM

I agree...my crew are my early warning system, and they alert me when anyone places a foot on my property. They are certified therapy dogs, but, especially the Great Pyrenees, do a great job of alerting us to anyone on the property.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 AM

First line of defense, 170lb Great Pyrenees has free rome of farm and house than a few small yapper inside alarm dogs.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM

After seeing the pics, I really miss having a German Shepard, mine died a few years ago, but I have my bird buddy, my English Pointer and a Jack Russell. I can't imagine going through life without dogs, I think after retirement it's a great way to keep in shape. Anyone who's spent a few hours following a good energetic grouse dog knows what a workout it can be.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 AM

Nice looking dogs. It is probably difficult to guess, but I am, at least in my own mind, part Great Pyrenees I have had several GPs. I'm down to one Great Pyr and one Malinois. Both seem to agree that there is nothing better than a good belly rub and operate as team to protect their family and property.

Last edited by Pyrenean; 01-31-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
wonderful group of k9s !!!

is that the same Shepard in both pics?.....somehow the markings look different.
Thank you. Yes they are a nice bunch. And yes he is the same. He is number 6 of my army K9 (cry like a baby evertime I have to let them go).

He is my best friend

He looks meaner the older he gets (and he is actually too mean)

After the terror attack in France I made this picture because my dog is named o'Charlie (we just call him Charlie):

My dogs like to have friends over:

Pluto is a real Labrador. Loves water almost as much as his mother does.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:03 PM

Very handsome group there, not just the op, all of you!
Colt Rail Gun .22, DW Guardian, V-Bob
Glock 17 ( Dave Sevigny Tuned )
Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM

In the physical security paradigm of Deter, Detect Assess Delay and Respond, a good dog can contribute to all of these phases of a plan. Many dogs, while not trained to bite, are often times great judges of character. We have a miniature weiner dog in the house that knows the neighbors truck and trailer and distinguish between the UPS truck and the fedex van. (Fedex gives him treats, the UPS man killed one of our Aussies).

I had a chocolate lab that was an excellent judge of character. If he didn't like you, you were asked to leave.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin63 View Post
I agree...my crew are my early warning system, and they alert me when anyone places a foot on my property. They are certified therapy dogs, but, especially the Great Pyrenees, do a great job of alerting us to anyone on the property.
They look so great.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM

I echo them compliments on the dogs shown. I'd pet any one of them and give em a jerky treat given permission by their owners.

I miss having a good dog and one of these days, it'll be time to get another.

Used to raise K-9 Pups for the Air Force in the PI.

I've had German Shepherds and always thought they were great dogs and friends.

Sarge, Tuffy and Pepper were my best friends growing up.

Our last one was a "Golden" Golden Retriever named Aspen. She was like most Goldens and more of goof than a guard dog. But....a standard poodle once started to try and take a bite out of our adopted special needs daughter and Aspen showed it the error of its ways.

And we always knew if things weren't "Right" with our daughter. If the dog wouldn't go into her room or steered clear of her, we learned to pay attention.

As for smart, that dog could lay in the middle of a bunch of beanie babies and never even drool on one. But give her one of her own "Fluff" toys, a tennis ball or anything else she knew was hers and she'd chew it to fluff.

And yeah, she was a great "EWS" (Early Warning System). She didn't bark much, but even the neighbors figured out that if she did bark, it paid to find out why.

I think if I found a mixed breed Golden/German Shepherd, I'd have a new dog.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Will Rodgers

‘If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... ― Will Rogers. I share Will's thought on this one.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 PM

If I can help it, a dog will always be part of my family life. Grew up with large dogs, but my wife's family was the opposite when it came to pets. When we finally got one, my daughter picked out one that she fell in love with. Wasn't sure a small dog would be right for us (18lbs soaking wet), but as it turned out, she's quite a darling.

She's also the meanest, most alert, little ball of fur I've come across. She's great at letting me know if anyone comes near the property. Not just arbitrarily barking, but discerning friend, family, and foe.

I've come to learn when she goes off, so will I.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM

Great post and great looking dogs. Like kids, I'd have a house full of them if the wife would allow it.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:51 PM

Anybody like my lap dog?
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1422762689811.jpeg  
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPride! View Post
Anybody like my lap dog?
Labs are the best dogs. We use them in the army as "minedogs", "bombdogs" and "drugdogs". A lab is also a 100 % familydog and so easy to train and be with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
She's also the meanest, most alert, little ball of fur I've come across. She's great at letting me know if anyone comes near the property. Not just arbitrarily barking, but discerning friend, family, and foe.
She looks great.

I can see we both took a "vacation" in Iraq (-;
Old 02-01-2015, 08:39 AM

I live next door to a German Shepherd...a really dumb one.
I've lived here for three years now and the dog doesn't realize yet that I'm no threat to her or her house...I just want to be in my back yard to do yard work, or cook on the grill, ...or practice my chip shots.
All she wants to do is charge the fence with growls and flashing teeth and bark like the world is coming to an end...relentlessly, for the whole time I'm out there.
Very annoying.....I look to her owner and he just gives me an "oh well" shrug of the shoulders.
Good watch dog for sure....but dumb.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 AM

This is our male Malinois. He's an effective alarm & an even more effective deterrent.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteboy View Post
This is our male Malinois. He's an effective alarm & an even more effective deterrent.
My 5. army K9 was a "Malle" (the nickname for a Malinois here in Denmark). By majority our military uses the German Shepard but through out the past 15 years the "Malle" has before more and more popular. It is a great dog and except from size it is VERY simular to the German Shepard and it does the job just as well or maybe in some senses better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
Very annoying.....I look to her owner and he just gives me an "oh well" shrug of the shoulders.
Good watch dog for sure....but dumb.
Yes that is "bad dogownership".
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=1911MK IV;5410526]My 5. army K9 was a "Malle" (the nickname for a Malinois here in Denmark). By majority our military uses the German Shepard but through out the past 15 years the "Malle" has before more and more popular. It is a great dog and except from size it is VERY simular to the German Shepard and it does the job just as well or maybe in some senses better.

I agree completely! The Malinois is not a breed for inexperienced owners/handlers. Also they do not make a good "pet dog" as they require constant physical & mental stimulation & challenges. They need to do the "work" they were bred for.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteboy View Post
I agree completely! The Malinois is not a breed for inexperienced owners/handlers. Also they do not make a good "pet dog" as they require constant physical & mental stimulation & challenges. They need to do the "work" they were bred for.
Excatly. We have had great experience with the "Malle" in Afghanistan. It is 100 % a working dog.

This was my Malinois "Nickie" when he was redy to retire. The two labs to the right are the ones I have now. The two to the left are also pups from the black mother to the right. So her 3 pups.

[/[QUOTE=rayban;5410442]

Last edited by 1911MK IV; 02-01-2015 at 11:19 AM.