Ammo storage in bug out bag. - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 AM
bradsvette bradsvette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South
Posts: 2,985
I have a couple of bug-out bags. The one in the car is there to enable me to get home in the event that my car fails and the S has HTF. In that small kit I have one spare loaded magazine for my carry handgun. I plan on "E and E"ing quickly and quietly to home base where resupply is abundant. Worst case is the car failing in the parking lot at work and me having to travel 40 miles to home on foot. It will take a full day at least depending on the situation.

The bug-out bag at home is filled with survival gear, including a small gun cleaning and repair kit, in the event that I'm forced outside for a length of time. The ammo I have available for a prolonged bug-out is loaded in spare magazines that reside in my armored vest. I plan to carry my fighting rifle, a 556 AR, and one lightweight carry handgun. Staying warm, dry, and having water, a little food, and some semblance of shelter are my priorities in an extended bug-out which unfortunately limits how much spare ammo I can carry.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 PM
archangel2003 archangel2003 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I have a couple of bug-out bags. The one in the car is there to enable me to get home in the event that my car fails and the S has HTF. In that small kit I have one spare loaded magazine for my carry handgun. I plan on "E and E"ing quickly and quietly to home base where resupply is abundant.
Only one spare?
Is your carry gun the PMC 30 that holds 30 rounds per mag?
If not, I'd carry more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
The bug-out bag at home is filled with survival gear, including a small gun cleaning and repair kit, in the event that I'm forced outside for a length of time. The ammo I have available for a prolonged bug-out is loaded in spare magazines that reside in my armored vest. I plan to carry my fighting rifle, a 556 AR, and one lightweight carry handgun. Staying warm, dry, and having water, a little food, and some semblance of shelter are my priorities in an extended bug-out which unfortunately limits how much spare ammo I can carry.
And how far can you travel quickly on foot with that loaded B-O-B?
I used to think of the whole Bug Out thing as if it were something I could do easily, but age is my main enimy these days and if I ever "bug Out" it had better be in a vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 PM
bradsvette bradsvette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel2003 View Post
Only one spare?
Is your carry gun the PMC 30 that holds 30 rounds per mag?
If not, I'd carry more.




And how far can you travel quickly on foot with that loaded B-O-B?
I used to think of the whole Bug Out thing as if it were something I could do easily, but age is my main enimy these days and if I ever "bug Out" it had better be in a vehicle.
Yeah, I should probably carry another spare magazine, but my initial bug-out philosophy is to get home as quickly as possible. I have another larger bug-out bag at home with all of the survival gear in it, but it's a little too big to store in my Corvette, which is why my car B-O-Bag is small and light weight.

As far as moving on foot, I'm pretty capable. I work out regularly, to include running 3 miles on a treadmill in less than 24 minutes, and then I lift weights for a half hour. I do that basic work-out 3 times a week, every week of my life for the last 45 years. I'll be 60 in 3 months but I don't act like a typical 60 year old.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #54  
Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 AM
fast eddie's Avatar
fast eddie fast eddie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,267
However much I carry, it all goes in magazines.
__________________
Welcome to the Kimber forum. We do pictures here.....
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-22-2016, 04:26 PM
arkansasdon arkansasdon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: somewhere in the Ozarks in Arkansas
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
However much I carry, it all goes in magazines.
most realistic answer.
__________________
"Unethical politicians aren’t the problem; they’re the symptom. They’re the result of all of us giving up our power." by Tyler Tervooren
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 PM
archangel2003 archangel2003 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Yeah, I should probably carry another spare magazine, but my initial bug-out philosophy is to get home as quickly as possible. I have another larger bug-out bag at home with all of the survival gear in it, but it's a little too big to store in my Corvette, which is why my car B-O-Bag is small and light weight.
You can break down an AR-15 into (16" barrel, 5.56) upper @ 25" and with a collapsible stock lower @ 15".
A stack of 6 magazines (30 rounds each for 180 rounds total) is as big as a medium sized book, so it will fit easily in a corvette.
Even my 18" barrel AR-308 with a full length fixed stock is 29" for the upper and 20" for the lower so still manageable even with (4 of the 25 and one 20 round so 120 total) magazines.
My AK-63D is just under 26" folded and for magazines I have 6 X 30 with 2 X 73 for 325 loaded and ready to go rounds that will be in my car as soon as I parkerize it.
Any three could fit in your corvette and be easily carried discretely in a back pack for a true SHTF situation, or even like Reginald Denney caught in the LA riots.
I never leave home without my EDC, the backup, and a battle rifle with more ammo than I think I will need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
As far as moving on foot, I'm pretty capable. I work out regularly, to include running 3 miles on a treadmill in less than 24 minutes, and then I lift weights for a half hour. I do that basic work-out 3 times a week, every week of my life for the last 45 years. I'll be 60 in 3 months but I don't act like a typical 60 year old.
Yeah, you are in much better shape than I am.
But I am much better armed than you are.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved