Ammo storage in bug out bag. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 08:37 PM

Ammo storage in bug out bag.

I am wondering how everyone stores there spare ammo in their bug out bag. I guess on a side question, does everyone carry spare ammo in their bug out bag? Sense my bug out bag is always with me, it is exposed to more of the elements, therefore I thought it prudent to be more diligent in properly storing my spare ammunition. In my home, it sits in sealed ammo cans with desiccant packs in the can. However, in my bug out bag, and ammo can is not practical. So I have separated by ammunition into groups of 10 and pack them in the food saver freezer packs. I lay them flat and throw a desiccant pack in with each of them. I have found that I can easily store in upwards of 200 rounds in my pack without sacrificing much space. It also allows me to take a few packs and slip them into my pocket so I have some extra ammo on my person with out having to carry extra mags or loose rounds in my pocket.

What does everyone else do in their packs? I'm just looking for other ideas that I can put into practice to see if they work. I have considered storing the actual loaded full magazine in the same type of set up, however I decided against it at the end. I figure if I was in the situation that warranted me digging out spare ammunition, I would probably have time to load it.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM

It's probably dumb, but I keep a small ammo can in my truck topper with one box of 28, 20 and 12 gauge shells with a few .410's. I'm a grouse hunter and don't want to drive back home or to town if someone forgets ammo or runs out, and even bird shot is better than nothing in a emergency. There are also 6 rounds of each cal. handgun ammo that I or my friends might carry and some assorted rifle ammo. Not really a bug out bag, but there if I need them.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM

At the moment, my bag probably has a little too much ammo in it. Over 1,000 rds total spread out between 3 different calibers. However, my theory behind this is:

1. Until SHTF, it's all in a common storage area.
2. When SHTF, I will take the entire thing as-is if possible.
3. If SHTF and it is warranted that I lighten my load, I can remove what I have to quickly since my ammo is fairly well organized in my bag. I think it is more practical to already have it and take some out than the other way around, but again this may just be my preference.

I too keep my ammo sealed in packs and zip-lock bags of no more than 50 rds each. I don't have a desiccant pack in all of them. I imagine a real cheap way would be to add a little white rice into the bags. One benefit that I have though is that all of my ammunition are corrosion/element-resistant at the moment, in one form or another (sealed primers, coated casings, etc).

I have three spare mags for all three of the calibers as well, with at least one fully loaded mag for each firearm. The rest are unloaded.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 PM

I keep mine in freezer bags which are in the bug out bag, still in their factory boxes of 20,50, or whatever.But I also have shot a box of .38 caliber Smith and Wesson loaded in 1890, that shot perfectly well, that had never seen any type of protective storage other than a dresser drawer, so I don't know how critical the plastic bag is.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Keeping a few loaded magazines in sandwich sized baggies works well for me.

Your requirements will vary according to any number of factors.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:47 AM

I keep lots of .22LR and .17HMR in zip-loc bags. You can carry a lot of rounds, and they will be great for a survival situation. There are also 10 loaded p-mags for the SD long gun, and a few boxes of .45ACP for the sidearm. I try to make everything in the bag quiet and rattle free, so I like the baggies better than ammo boxes.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 AM

I have 2 weapons. Pistol & rifle. Ammo in mags. is carried on my chest rig. Pistol carried concealed on body. rifle in a sneaky bag type of bag.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 AM

I only have pistol ammo in my pack as my rifle ammo is loaded into 20 mags on my gear. I've found with experience that 600 rounds in WAY WAY more then enough in a firefight. I figure if I am in a SHTF scenario that requires more then 600 rounds there will be some laying around by that time. I just have 5 preloaded mags for my pistol. One in the gun, two on the holster rig and two on either side of my vest. So the ammo is really more for that.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Everything in your bag 'should' be vacuum sealed. Keeps everything dry, fresh and rattle free. Use small to medium quantities in each 'packet' put a date on something in the packet.
If you do not own one of those gadgets *get one* you will not regret it.
The 8" x 10" bags work great for most things: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1428...FYI7aQod86AAPg
Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM

those who are vacuum packing...... here's some tidbit info

vacuum packing means you are sucking air out of the casing, or at least it will try and force the bullet out. vacuum packing may not last a long time, depends on a few factors.

what you may want to try is, suck out air and then fill back with argon so that you zero the pressure inside.

argon filled is probably the best way to preserve the stuff, but probably dependent on the environment you store at.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:37 PM

shoot/rotate it.. no reason for long term storage in the bug. jmo
Old 10-17-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
those who are vacuum packing...... here's some tidbit info

vacuum packing means you are sucking air out of the casing, or at least it will try and force the bullet out. vacuum packing may not last a long time, depends on a few factors.

what you may want to try is, suck out air and then fill back with argon so that you zero the pressure inside.

argon filled is probably the best way to preserve the stuff, but probably dependent on the environment you store at.
I understand the idea that you are trying to get across and from a technical standpoint I am going to have to agree but with a serious caveat. The PSI of a total vacuum is only 14.7psi. For example, the 45acp has a maximum pressure rating of 21,000psi. I understand that this is the amount of pressure that it takes to push the round through the barrel and project it, however just the primer alone has a whopping 3,000psi. To put that into perspective, your average air mattress pump is only pushing 15psi. So while technically yes I conceded that you are correct, that amount of pressure over time could unseat the round, however I dont think that anyone on this website will be alive by the time that actually happens. There is actually a better chance that the plastic will disintegrate before the round becomes loose.
The plastic that is used for the actual packaging is very robust and is rather difficult to puncture unintentionally if stored properly. I have found that the vacuum seal lasts approximately two years of extreme hot and extreme cold with moderate moving and bumping around before it needs to be replaced.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-17-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
Everything in your bag 'should' be vacuum sealed. Keeps everything dry, fresh and rattle free. Use small to medium quantities in each 'packet' put a date on something in the packet.
If you do not own one of those gadgets *get one* you will not regret it.
The 8" x 10" bags work great for most things: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1428...FYI7aQod86AAPg
Agreed! And darn near everything in my pack is. Really is a space saver as well.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-17-2014, 03:06 PM

@post #12
the explosive produces that force, and its just not a force to get out the barrel.

the case is crimped to the bullet, and if crimped air tight then when you vacuum the air inside wants to push outward. anyways, apparently has never been an issue, but then again, how many people have broken into a vac bag that was 10+ yrs old and then did some testing to see how things end up.

then again, probably just a many people who dont vac who had ammo for a millennia and all is fine.....
Old 10-17-2014, 04:03 PM

I don't think vacuum is a problem for ammunition. I imagine that it will hold 14 psi internal, or the air will leak out.

The Soviets had firearms on board their capsules, and I never heard of anything special done to the ammo. NASA won't say if they had firearms.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Always

50 rd box...vaccum sealed All of my 15000 plus on hand rounds are vaccum packed
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cauldron View Post
I don't think vacuum is a problem for ammunition. I imagine that it will hold 14 psi internal, or the air will leak out.

The Soviets had firearms on board their capsules, and I never heard of anything special done to the ammo. NASA won't say if they had firearms.
14psi is no joke. its 14psi pushing the bullet out, etc.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXuk2RdULY
Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 AM

My actual bag has all of the ammo in mags. The bag is stored in a humidity-controlled area. I carry a gun but leave the bag at home unless I'm going on a trip, so the ammo isn't exposed to the elements very often at all.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:35 AM

Something you guys are forgetting when vacuuming ammo. Yes you do remove the air. But you are forgetting that the plastic cinches down on the bullet. So the atmosphere is still pushing the bullet in. This of course depends on how you seal your bullets. In boxes or loose.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:14 AM

Really

Vaccum packing ammo in boxes (as I stated) impossible to PUSH the bullet in Hell I can't even push the bullet in with my thumb and I ain't no weakling !!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Diamond if your post is referring to mine I think I wasn't clear enough. I am not saying that the bullet will be pushed in. I am saying that there is still atmospheric pressure pushing on the outside of the bullet which counteracts the atmospheric pressure pushing the bullet out from the inside of the case.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond LawDawg View Post
Vaccum packing ammo in boxes (as I stated) impossible to PUSH the bullet in Hell I can't even push the bullet in with my thumb and I ain't no weakling !!
well, try this, place bullet vertical on a 100lb scale, now push down the bullet with your thumb until scale read approx 56lb. and hold there for 30sec. how does your thumb feel? heck, maybe safer with just a crimped bullet in empty case.....
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 AM

Air pressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post
I understand the idea that you are trying to get across and from a technical standpoint I am going to have to agree but with a serious caveat. The PSI of a total vacuum is only 14.7psi. For example, the 45acp has a maximum pressure rating of 21,000psi. I understand that this is the amount of pressure that it takes to push the round through the barrel and project it, however just the primer alone has a whopping 3,000psi. To put that into perspective, your average air mattress pump is only pushing 15psi. So while technically yes I conceded that you are correct, that amount of pressure over time could unseat the round, however I dont think that anyone on this website will be alive by the time that actually happens. There is actually a better chance that the plastic will disintegrate before the round becomes loose.
The plastic that is used for the actual packaging is very robust and is rather difficult to puncture unintentionally if stored properly. I have found that the vacuum seal lasts approximately two years of extreme hot and extreme cold with moderate moving and bumping around before it needs to be replaced.
I used to teach Aerospace Physiology. 14.7 is not a vacuum. It the average air pressure at sea level
“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21
Major, USAF RET
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 AM

Otherwise known as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leicajh View Post
I used to teach Aerospace Physiology. 14.7 is not a vacuum. It the average air pressure at sea level
One Bar.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
One Bar.
one ATM

but technically ~+14psi can be a "vacuum" if there is a boundary that has say +50psi on other side