A list of Lewis & Clarks Loadout - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 03:21 PM

A list of Lewis & Clarks Loadout

I thought some folks might find this an interesting list. Considering the L&C expedition went pretty off grid and into the unknown it might serve as a bit of insight for thinking about how people who were already familiar with a non-grid lifestyle would plan for being out and beyond stored resupply where they had to rely on themselves and what they brought.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/le...resources.html

Under medicines the 50 Dozen Dr. Rush's patented "Rush's Thunderclapper" pills were mercury based laxatives to help things move along as the diet was very meat based. I understand later historical forensics was able to use this to track the journey so to speak.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Brother and I canoe down wild and scenic portion of Missouri river.
L&C history. Clay so deep and thick it would easily pull of a laced up tennis shoe! Thorny bushes. Bears and Wolves.
I'm not sure I've ever met anyone tough enough to revisit their journey.
Going downstream was ... great w/ brother.
Going upstream.. would be near impossible.
Their supplies, primitive, inadequate.
In modern times.. maybe Shackleton
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM

I live in their country and wonder if they would have appreciated a Skrama?!
I have tracked their venture and continually amazed at how tough they were. When I am guiding in this country I try to picture how it was back then and what they did. We have turned into a nation of sissies

Last edited by dsk; 08-19-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Great find Im using this one in my next class!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Im reading Undaunted Courage right now, and the whole expedition really is amazing.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrock View Post
I live in their country and wonder if they would have appreciated a Skrama?!
I have tracked their venture and continually amazed at how fking tough they were. When I am guiding in this country I try to picture how it was back then and what they did. We have turned into a nation of sissies
I know people that will not last 24 hours If the grid goes down. And I am not talking about old people that need special medication or dialysis. I am talking about ambulatory people in their thirties and forties that you might encounter on a regular basis. There are so many people around that have just no clue whatsoever, it amazes me.

This actually is a subject that I give quite a bit of thought to. Increasingly as time goes by. My wife and I are more and more skeptical about the viability of what most people refer to as "the grid". With this in mind we have been, by the fortunes of God and much hard work of our own. Been able to make ourselves largely self sufficient. This is of course an ongoing endeavor. And we try to be realistic about it. We both understand that if "the grid goes down" and one of us needs a heart transplant or some such thing, then this is not going to happen. We understand this and accept this. But we will die on our own terms.

We also understand that if things really get bad. then we will need to keep a twenty four hour watch. I could go into more. However I do not really think that I need to do so for this thread.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
...But we will die on our own terms...
The difference between old school Americans and the rest. Pretty much at the core of the original American Spirit.

My wife is supposed to be related on her momma's side somewhere back there to Meriwether Lewis.

Yup. Like Roger's Rangers. I'm sure there was grousing and more than a few ungentle words spoken at certain situations, but then they set the shoulders, leaned in, and just kept putting one foot in front of the other.

I wonder how many stopped after the initial jubilation of reaching the Pacific and suddenly thought, "Oh Bollocks! We still have to go back."

It is interesting to see what they carried versus what a lot of people think they need to carry to survive past the mailbox today. The basics haven't changed much though. It's interesting that they took along only 24 hatchets, but seems every man probably had a basic knife. As Flyinrock mentioned, I imagine they would have really appreciated a Skrama.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 AM

In my readings, I recall each man having a wool blanket. And they waded through a swamp that was waist deep in icy water. I've taken a mountain bath in running water with snow on the banks and didn't last :60 seconds! (even my angels in the snow didn't last but a minute or so and back into a warm house/tent)
And, if you actually saw this country, how steep it is, how rugged it is, and just try to imagine finding your way to ???? which is what they were doing. The Indians were already familiar with it but they also stayed in a relatively close area following game and seasons. L&C wintered about 20 miles north of me in Lolo. I wonder if they knew of the hot springs about 20 miles west of their camp? Probably. Food was the problem in winter and still is and getting worse with the wolf problem today.
L&C mentioned many times of the plentiful game encountered and would be stunned at the relative paucity in 2014. Example, by the official game counts in the Yellowstone Park, in 1995 there were 19,000 elk. In the more recent count it was down to 4,000 after introduction of the Canadian wolves to this area. Some of them go 200#. Hope I don't have to go head to head with any of them. Idaho has the same problem just west of me. I wonder what L&C would say about encountering 200# dogs?
What an amazing expedition. For the adventurous, you can also read about following the Nile from the Med to its headwaters in Uganda. Just realized I've done just that and put my feet in both. Was a whole lot easier via helicopter.