1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Toledo Toxic Water Situation

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ater/13505697/

A good window as to how people will deal with water problems. Should be interesting to see how it plays before it's over. This is also one of those cases where the old, "Boil water for 5 minutes." will make it worse.

Quote:
Residents were warned not to boil the water because it will only increase the toxin's concentration.
Something to consider perhaps when planning water treatment at home for disruptions.

What works on microcystins? I have Oasis tabs for the usual critters and we've been looking at portable filter systems and options as well, but what about heavy metals and chemical toxins?

So short of your own, multi-layer water treatment plant, what options are there and how do y'all plan for your water requirements in a failure? Even wells can get tainted or polluted from a variety of sources.

With this in the news I just thought it might be a good time to revisit disaster water treatment. Especially since in this case boiling the water will only make it worse.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Since I'm going to Erie, PA tomorrow I looked into what's going on in Toledo. Apparently the municipal water treatment solution in Erie will be activated carbon.

Water disruption isn't only a SHTF scenario. Back in '86 or '87 a diesel fuel tank collapsed on the Mon River, causing treatment plant shutdowns as the fuel worked downstream. More recently a chemical spill in WV caused the same scenario.

I'm going to take a case or two of water with us. Just in case and the dog is NOT allowed to drink lake water until further notice. (good luck with that)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 PM

This is why I keep a supply of purified water on hand at all times and rotate it.

However, I'll be interested in answers as clearing microcystins is not something I'm aware of.

I'm planning on doing lots of research though.

I'll post anything I find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 12:02 AM

A matter of what you don't know can get you. Most situations it's always, "Boil the water before using internally." Doing that here would hurt you.

If you read most of the info on the water filters for hiking, camping, and survival kits, they all deal pretty well with the usual suspects of bacteria, cryptosporidium, and viruses. They don't take care of chemical and heavy metal contamination. A lot of the Brita type home filters deal with these contaminates, but even there you need to understand the differences in charcoal filter types.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/...content=186632

So just having a handful of water purification tabs or a big pot for boiling on hand, even having your BOB water filter straws and feeling taken care of without really knowing what each does and how it works can create a false sense of security that could put you in bad shape at the very time it can hurt you the most.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Looks like even Berkey does not have scientific data on how well their filters work with microcystins. Bad deal for all involved. Awareness is key. If this is a known issue for your main water supply then you need a plan. For most however, this will never be an issue especially if you have another water supply. The WOH reccomends a simple sand filter for microcystins.

Last edited by LWolken; 08-05-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM

They pulled their filter bank down to save money per mayors orders.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeable View Post
They pulled their filter bank down to save money per mayors orders.
Wow, you can always trust those mayors because as bloomy says, they know what's best for you.

If that's true, and I don't doubt it is, I would love to see the mayor be personally held criminally negligible and have him have to pay for his legal defense, not the city.

I keep hearing Regan talking about some of the most feared words in the English language are, "I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM

I am fortunate in having an artesian well.

Finally put my own well in some years ago. Drilled straight down through solid granite and hit water at about 365ft. Went down to 400 just because. Good flow. The guy said ten gallons a minute plus, "It does not get better than that". I do not know how he figured ten gallons a minute plus but I just took his word for it.

So the next day I walk out to the yard and lo and behold. There is water spewing out of the top of the pipe. A little while later the guy shows up to run all the plumbing and wiring down to the house. His remark "Oh heck we got another artesian here." "These things are more trouble then they are worth." "Now we have to run an overflow pipe to drain off the overflow down into the woods."

Well the long and the short of it is that I have a new fish pond and I get 750 gallons of pure water a day extra pumped straight out of the ground by the grace of God. Water that I do not even use. I guess that if I lived in California I would be rich.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Classic, USMM! The farm I grew up on in Southern Ohio had a well that even in the worst times never went dry. There were stories of times before we had it of people coming to get water there in harshly dry years. We would run the level down a bit when planting tobacco as we were constantly filling up the barrel on the front of the tractor the fed to the planter where two folks sat and placed plants into the lips of the planter. After a full day of that the well would be down a little. The next morning it was right back to normal.

We used to have a problem with one end of a soybean field and the wood up against it at that end getting soggy. It was years after we sold the farm and I was up there visiting a neighbor that I met a fellow named Dan who was in his 90s. He had lived on that farm as a boy and it was form him I learned that there were 5 underground springs on that property. It was a small farm too.

This was back in the late 70s that I talked to Dan. He told me that as a boy he recalled some people coming to the farm that had lived there long before him and they wanted to go back and walk where the old home had been. By the time we were there all traces were gone except a big tree that stood alone in one of the fields that we just plowed and planted around. It was there where the old homestead had been. What amazed both Dan and I when he told it, was that these folks would walk nearly a mile in one direction with big buckets to get water from a seep in the side of a hill by the road. They never knew they were sitting on a bonanza of clear, cold, fresh water.

I'd love to have a place like that of my own now. I miss hardwoods, four seasons, good soil, and a great source of water. It sucks being dependent on outside sources for food, water, and heat.