Poll help for most likely? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
Talking Poll help for most likely?

I'd like to see the poll?
Most likely apocalyptic event to impact all Americans here stateside?
A) Political, War, and/or poor choices of poor leaders?
B) Geological, Volcano/earthquake, tidal wave?
C) Meteorological, hurricanes, super storms, polar vortex, el nino?
D) Cosmological, meteorite, asteroid, Solar flare event?
E) Biological, virus, etc. human, animal, vegetable?
F) Global, cycle, warming, drought, climate change?
G) Magnetic poll reversal?
H) Should technical collapse be included, loss of satellites, or sabotage?

OK, back your play. Have opinion? Be articulate, and concise, list
reason for your conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
I'm going with "e" biological, as most likely. It has global consequences most often, with some regularity for one species or another.
98% of life on planet is micro-biological.

2nd choice would be, "B" Geological. A lot of potential for volcanic, or earthquake disaster.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
wdcuret3434 wdcuret3434 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 193
A. Economical meltdown
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
BRETT C BRETT C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 276
Barack Hussein Obama
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM
frogfurr frogfurr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Preble County, Ohio
Posts: 2,499
I would agree on Obama. He would be the last to know.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM
USMM guy USMM guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 21,942
A, no doubt, poor choices of leadership.

This is already upon us. And we are already seeing the results of this. It is most certainly going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

I am much more concerned by the criminal activity that occurs on Capitol hill than I am by the criminal activity that occurs in the streets around me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Raylan Givens Raylan Givens is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Art Mullen's office
Posts: 6,217
EMP which leads to economic and social breakdown and civil war. Then we get invaded by a foreign superpower.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Trigger Creep Trigger Creep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,976
I'll add...


I. Rampant apathy among 99.99% of Americans so even a teeny weeny minor blip of any sort like A through H suddenly becomes tragically disastrous.


And I noticed you didn't list Rap Music. That always must be on a list of impending apocalyptic disasters.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM
bradsvette bradsvette is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South
Posts: 2,820
A, economic meltdown causing large-scale looting, rioting, and class warfare.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM
shane45-1911 shane45-1911 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,948
A.

Far more lives have been lost due to man-made decisions in the short time we've been on this earth, than any natural or environmental catastrophe. We're doomed to repeat it....



Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
Apocalyptic. Infrastructure collapse.
No reason to go to work, that was yesterday. Today you need water.
What was the reason?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
un lupus un lupus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 342
A., Look around you it is happening now . Russia , Plane , Gaza , need I go on......regards k.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
A., Look around you it is happening now . Russia , Plane , Gaza , need I go on......regards k.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Cknugget Cknugget is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 270
A. Large sections of the middle east are in the midst of revolutions, and Russia seems intent on provoking Europe over Ukraine.

Add to that the labor participation rate in the US is the lowest its been since women entered the workforce and overall inflation is running quite high. The official numbers and actual numbers are very different due to changes in factoring both CPI and unemployment numbers.

It adds up to a large number of angry young people(18-29), males especially, that are unemployed and broke. Not a good combo for social stability since that is the group most likely to take aggressive action.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Wadcutter Wadcutter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NW New Mexico
Posts: 73
A cyber attack on the power grid. Probably
our most vital and most vulnerable spot
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM
ambidextrous1 ambidextrous1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: El Paso, Texas
Age: 88
Posts: 1,689
I agree with Wadcutter. The collapse of the power grid - for any of several reasons - would have immediate, severe and widespread disruption of our way of life. All forms of communication and travel would cease, and it may take decades to restore the power grid.
__________________
Rich (in name only)
Member, Fort Bliss Rod & Gun Club
Benefactor Member, NRA
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM
-trip45 -trip45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 255
I'll have to go with B, although I think a lot of the other options are very possible. We have gotten lucky with not having all the grids taken down by a solar flare yet. But still sticking with B, with all of the earthquakes that we are causing and the possibility that Yellowstone may blow, any of those could cause a little chaos. But I think it would be partially localized, but the refugee situation would spread it around.
__________________
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." - Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM
jkhouw1 jkhouw1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: .
Posts: 878
A) Political, War, and/or poor choices of poor leaders?
-War is unlikely IMHO, poor choice of leaders doesn't lead to the apocolypse but a slow painful death as is in evidence now. More likely would be dirty bomb scenario but that, while devastating, would be more regional.
B) Geological, Volcano/earthquake, tidal wave?
-A chunky tidal wave on the eastern seaboard or an earthquake on the eastern seaboard would be pretty nasty but doesn't get my vote for most likely. West Coast falls into the ocean? If it takes hollywood with it, I think we could add a few days to the doomsday clock Yellowstone eruption - well that'd do it.
C) Meteorological, hurricanes, super storms, polar vortex, el nino?
-This would likely be as a result of (F) and would probably be more disruptive and not overnight apocalypse. Much the same as Obama. Regionally (even large regions) Sandy, Katrina, etc show this can be horrible and the effects last a long time. But ALL americans?
D) Cosmological, meteorite, asteroid, Solar flare event?
-Lots of stuff out there to hit us - but it has to be a nice chunk. I hold this low risk.
E) Biological, virus, etc. human, animal, vegetable?
-Again, I doubt it would be apocalypse overnight.
F) Global, cycle, warming, drought, climate change?
-see C
G) Magnetic poll reversal?
-I have no idea on this
H) Should technical collapse be included, loss of satellites, or sabotage?
The northeast power outage a few years ago was fairly eventful, but never reached the point of even Sandy.

I guess I just don't see the nationwide apocalypse on the immediate horizon. What I do see is a list of things that have the potential to cause severe regional disruption for 2 weeks to 2 months (if you can't relocate) during which you will need means of self preservation, water, and food.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM
TacoBobbo TacoBobbo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 386
Anything that'll truly be a test of our (lack of) leadership. Especially military. Or terrorism.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Recurveman Recurveman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The United States of America
Posts: 429
The power grid is by far the most vulnerable and antiquated system that we have. I was actually in Detroit (kind of a bad part of town to be honest) during the mass power outage. Just in the short amount of time it was all down you could see serious changes. Buildings were being broken into at an alarming rate since there were no working alarm systems. Toilets didnt work and people were defecating and peeing in the streets and sidewalks. While some more rural parts of the country would not be effected as much, the cities would be in complete disarray. No power means no communications, no cell phones. Can you imagine inner city youth with NO cell phones? The ensuing riot from that alone would take down most major cities. As funny as it may sound, I am actually being serious. Urban youth (teens-mid to late 20's) are so dependent on cell phones and technology that if that were to be cut off completely it would be like a heroin addict going through withdrawals. There would be mass pandemonium. It would shut down most relief efforts to the bigger cities. Transportation would be ground to a halt. Hunger and starvation would set in. There would be no coordinated way to remove trash and sanitation issues would begin to set it. Disease and mass sickness would then hit. People would then spread to the more rural areas to get away from it. Crime and disease would spread.
I think we are seeing the beginnings of this happening right now. There have been a few under-reported instances of the power grid being prodded and tested. People with rifles are shooting out the transformers at regen sites. I think that they are just testing the system to see what it takes down, who shows up to fix it, what the restoral time is and the security measures taken to prevent it. A well coordinated attack on the power system would take this country to its knees. It would only need to be down for a relatively short period of time for the damage to be done. I think that with the human factor it would only need to be down for two weeks before irreparable damage would be done.

I know it wasn't part of the original question but it begs to be asked. Why would another country do that? I think that a lot of people have the wrong idea about warfare between two super-powers. I do not think that Russia or China would ever invade mainland USA, no matter the conditions of the country. It does not make any sense to do so. Yes we have mineral resources and huge infrastructure, however we are also a land of hard asses. I know that it may sound goofy but its true. We are known the world over for being highly aggressive hard asses, and are renowned for our xenophobia. No matter the crisis here in the US, if a foreign county invaded mainland USA there are over 100 MILLION gun owners that I am quite sure would be more then happy to forget about the fact that we don't have power. Head over to where the invading army is at, and show them what the second amendment is all about. These foreign countries know this and it is probably why we have not been all out invaded yet. However if you take down the USA mainland, you inhibit us from fully protecting our over seas assets. Our bases are crippled and our ability to assist other weaker nations from invasions would be greatly reduced. If a superpower wanted to take down the world. Take down the US power grid. Sit back and watch us eat each other alive for a while. Take out our assets overseas. Invade small countries in the EU and Asia and use their infrastructure to get closer to the US. Cut off trade and shipping lanes to the US. With no outside resources and having not invested in any resources that we have in the US such as oil and gas, manufacturing and production in the past 20 years, we would be done for. At that point there is no need to invade. The US would be unable to do anything anyway.
The only thing that they would need to be worried about is when the chaos in the US beings to stabilize. History has shown that almost every great superpower in the world started as being highly conservative in regards to how cities are run. Taxes were collected and put toward the military and infrastructure. Social programs were few and people were expected to work and carry their own weight. The Roman Empire is a great example of this as well as our own country. When the dust begins to settle, only the strong and the smart will have survived. I believe that conservative values of independence, self reliance, morality and our ability to protect our families will win in the end. We would rebuild with the values that survived, and God help who ever it was that attacked us.
__________________
I fully support working to preserve freedom of the press, as long as the press is still working to preserve my freedoms. ~ Recurveman~

μολὼν λαβέ
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM
hs125pilot hs125pilot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upstate, N.Y.
Posts: 451
F) Global warming will create bioregional division amongst the American people. Those in the cities will no longer have the means to provide for themselves and will move inland as refugees. Failure to maintain infrastructure will exacerbate the decline.

However, most young people are resourceful and won't settle for the alternatives provided by big gov't or big business. It won't be pretty, but they'll mitigate and adapt to the new situation.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by -trip45 View Post
I'll have to go with B, although I think a lot of the other options are very possible. We have gotten lucky with not having all the grids taken down by a solar flare yet. But still sticking with B, with all of the earthquakes that we are causing and the possibility that Yellowstone may blow, any of those could cause a little chaos. But I think it would be partially localized, but the refugee situation would spread it around.
Last fall, October I think? (not sure)
Solar flare on far side of Sun, so large it would have reached 1/3 distance to earth. It would have taken out ALL of planets power grids, much of our communication, and would have surely caused the situation I describe
Yellowstone is overdue, and last time it put much of Midwest under 6' of volcanic ash
Most likely is microbiological, we play where we shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Onegoodshot Onegoodshot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: between way back when and until then
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post
.

I know it wasn't part of the original question but it begs to be asked. Why would another country do that? I think that a lot of people have the wrong idea about warfare between two super-powers. I do not think that Russia or China would ever invade mainland USA, no matter the conditions of the country. It does not make any sense to do so. Yes we have mineral resources and huge infrastructure, however we are also a land of hard asses. I know that it may sound goofy but its true. We are known the world over for being highly aggressive hard asses, and are renowned for our xenophobia. No matter the crisis here in the US, if a foreign county invaded mainland USA there are over 100 MILLION gun owners that I am quite sure would be more then happy to forget about the fact that we don't have power. Head over to where the invading army is at, and show them what the second amendment is all about. These foreign countries know this and it is probably why we have not been all out invaded yet. However if you take down the USA mainland, you inhibit us from fully protecting our over seas assets. Our bases are crippled and our ability to assist other weaker nations from invasions would be greatly reduced. If a superpower wanted to take down the world. Take down the US power grid. Sit back and watch us eat each other alive for a while. Take out our assets overseas. Invade small countries in the EU and Asia and use their infrastructure to get closer to the US. Cut off trade and shipping lanes to the US. With no outside resources and having not invested in any resources that we have in the US such as oil and gas, manufacturing and production in the past 20 years, we would be done for. At that point there is no need to invade. The US would be unable to do anything anyway.
The only thing that they would need to be worried about is when the chaos in the US beings to stabilize. History has shown that almost every great superpower in the world started as being highly conservative in regards to how cities are run. Taxes were collected and put toward the military and infrastructure. Social programs were few and people were expected to work and carry their own weight. The Roman Empire is a great example of this as well as our own country. When the dust begins to settle, only the strong and the smart will have survived. I believe that conservative values of independence, self reliance, morality and our ability to protect our families will win in the end. We would rebuild with the values that survived, and God help who ever it was that attacked us.
Well thought out, but conclusion seems flawed.
IMO it will be the most successful and yet completely primitive that will survive. Look around, it is the strongest and smartest that have embraced technology the most. Primitive cultures know less, need less, have less to lose, and less will change in their world. Think village high in Peruvian Andes. America continues to like wars we think we can win w/ superior firepower, and war becomes tiresome and distasteful, when we fail to overwhelm the enemy. In WWII EVERYONE fought the enemy. (my mom, rationing and selling bonds, small town Texas.)
I meet h/s age students that can tweet celebs on cell phones, and can't find Viet Nam with a map!!! I hope it is not their morality, or their self reliance, you allude to, you might find disappointment. Just my opinion here, and it might change, it often does.

BTW has any great Empire or Superpower ever returned to former glory? Some of Europe has regained temporary stability, but that is best case.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 07-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Big Pete10 Big Pete10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,056
It's going to be A, it always is.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
HarryO45 HarryO45 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 4,764
Zombies
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved