1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Talking Poll help for most likely?

I'd like to see the poll?
Most likely apocalyptic event to impact all Americans here stateside?
A) Political, War, and/or poor choices of poor leaders?
B) Geological, Volcano/earthquake, tidal wave?
C) Meteorological, hurricanes, super storms, polar vortex, el nino?
D) Cosmological, meteorite, asteroid, Solar flare event?
E) Biological, virus, etc. human, animal, vegetable?
F) Global, cycle, warming, drought, climate change?
G) Magnetic poll reversal?
H) Should technical collapse be included, loss of satellites, or sabotage?

OK, back your play. Have opinion? Be articulate, and concise, list
reason for your conclusion.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm going with "e" biological, as most likely. It has global consequences most often, with some regularity for one species or another.
98% of life on planet is micro-biological.

2nd choice would be, "B" Geological. A lot of potential for volcanic, or earthquake disaster.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM

A. Economical meltdown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM

I would agree on Obama. He would be the last to know.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM

A, no doubt, poor choices of leadership.

This is already upon us. And we are already seeing the results of this. It is most certainly going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

I am much more concerned by the criminal activity that occurs on Capitol hill than I am by the criminal activity that occurs in the streets around me.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM

EMP which leads to economic and social breakdown and civil war. Then we get invaded by a foreign superpower.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM

I'll add...

I. Rampant apathy among 99.99% of Americans so even a teeny weeny minor blip of any sort like A through H suddenly becomes tragically disastrous.

And I noticed you didn't list Rap Music. That always must be on a list of impending apocalyptic disasters.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM

A, economic meltdown causing large-scale looting, rioting, and class warfare.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Banned

A.

Far more lives have been lost due to man-made decisions in the short time we've been on this earth, than any natural or environmental catastrophe. We're doomed to repeat it....

Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Apocalyptic. Infrastructure collapse.
No reason to go to work, that was yesterday. Today you need water.
What was the reason?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:45 PM

A., Look around you it is happening now . Russia , Plane , Gaza , need I go on......regards k.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
A., Look around you it is happening now . Russia , Plane , Gaza , need I go on......regards k.
I agree.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM

A. Large sections of the middle east are in the midst of revolutions, and Russia seems intent on provoking Europe over Ukraine.

Add to that the labor participation rate in the US is the lowest its been since women entered the workforce and overall inflation is running quite high. The official numbers and actual numbers are very different due to changes in factoring both CPI and unemployment numbers.

It adds up to a large number of angry young people(18-29), males especially, that are unemployed and broke. Not a good combo for social stability since that is the group most likely to take aggressive action.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM

A cyber attack on the power grid. Probably
our most vital and most vulnerable spot
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM

I agree with Wadcutter. The collapse of the power grid - for any of several reasons - would have immediate, severe and widespread disruption of our way of life. All forms of communication and travel would cease, and it may take decades to restore the power grid.
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM

I'll have to go with B, although I think a lot of the other options are very possible. We have gotten lucky with not having all the grids taken down by a solar flare yet. But still sticking with B, with all of the earthquakes that we are causing and the possibility that Yellowstone may blow, any of those could cause a little chaos. But I think it would be partially localized, but the refugee situation would spread it around.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

A) Political, War, and/or poor choices of poor leaders?
-War is unlikely IMHO, poor choice of leaders doesn't lead to the apocolypse but a slow painful death as is in evidence now. More likely would be dirty bomb scenario but that, while devastating, would be more regional.
B) Geological, Volcano/earthquake, tidal wave?
-A chunky tidal wave on the eastern seaboard or an earthquake on the eastern seaboard would be pretty nasty but doesn't get my vote for most likely. West Coast falls into the ocean? If it takes hollywood with it, I think we could add a few days to the doomsday clock Yellowstone eruption - well that'd do it.
C) Meteorological, hurricanes, super storms, polar vortex, el nino?
-This would likely be as a result of (F) and would probably be more disruptive and not overnight apocalypse. Much the same as Obama. Regionally (even large regions) Sandy, Katrina, etc show this can be horrible and the effects last a long time. But ALL americans?
D) Cosmological, meteorite, asteroid, Solar flare event?
-Lots of stuff out there to hit us - but it has to be a nice chunk. I hold this low risk.
E) Biological, virus, etc. human, animal, vegetable?
-Again, I doubt it would be apocalypse overnight.
F) Global, cycle, warming, drought, climate change?
-see C
G) Magnetic poll reversal?
-I have no idea on this
H) Should technical collapse be included, loss of satellites, or sabotage?
The northeast power outage a few years ago was fairly eventful, but never reached the point of even Sandy.

I guess I just don't see the nationwide apocalypse on the immediate horizon. What I do see is a list of things that have the potential to cause severe regional disruption for 2 weeks to 2 months (if you can't relocate) during which you will need means of self preservation, water, and food.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Anything that'll truly be a test of our (lack of) leadership. Especially military. Or terrorism.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM

The power grid is by far the most vulnerable and antiquated system that we have. I was actually in Detroit (kind of a bad part of town to be honest) during the mass power outage. Just in the short amount of time it was all down you could see serious changes. Buildings were being broken into at an alarming rate since there were no working alarm systems. Toilets didnt work and people were defecating and peeing in the streets and sidewalks. While some more rural parts of the country would not be effected as much, the cities would be in complete disarray. No power means no communications, no cell phones. Can you imagine inner city youth with NO cell phones? The ensuing riot from that alone would take down most major cities. As funny as it may sound, I am actually being serious. Urban youth (teens-mid to late 20's) are so dependent on cell phones and technology that if that were to be cut off completely it would be like a heroin addict going through withdrawals. There would be mass pandemonium. It would shut down most relief efforts to the bigger cities. Transportation would be ground to a halt. Hunger and starvation would set in. There would be no coordinated way to remove trash and sanitation issues would begin to set it. Disease and mass sickness would then hit. People would then spread to the more rural areas to get away from it. Crime and disease would spread.
I think we are seeing the beginnings of this happening right now. There have been a few under-reported instances of the power grid being prodded and tested. People with rifles are shooting out the transformers at regen sites. I think that they are just testing the system to see what it takes down, who shows up to fix it, what the restoral time is and the security measures taken to prevent it. A well coordinated attack on the power system would take this country to its knees. It would only need to be down for a relatively short period of time for the damage to be done. I think that with the human factor it would only need to be down for two weeks before irreparable damage would be done.

I know it wasn't part of the original question but it begs to be asked. Why would another country do that? I think that a lot of people have the wrong idea about warfare between two super-powers. I do not think that Russia or China would ever invade mainland USA, no matter the conditions of the country. It does not make any sense to do so. Yes we have mineral resources and huge infrastructure, however we are also a land of hard asses. I know that it may sound goofy but its true. We are known the world over for being highly aggressive hard asses, and are renowned for our xenophobia. No matter the crisis here in the US, if a foreign county invaded mainland USA there are over 100 MILLION gun owners that I am quite sure would be more then happy to forget about the fact that we don't have power. Head over to where the invading army is at, and show them what the second amendment is all about. These foreign countries know this and it is probably why we have not been all out invaded yet. However if you take down the USA mainland, you inhibit us from fully protecting our over seas assets. Our bases are crippled and our ability to assist other weaker nations from invasions would be greatly reduced. If a superpower wanted to take down the world. Take down the US power grid. Sit back and watch us eat each other alive for a while. Take out our assets overseas. Invade small countries in the EU and Asia and use their infrastructure to get closer to the US. Cut off trade and shipping lanes to the US. With no outside resources and having not invested in any resources that we have in the US such as oil and gas, manufacturing and production in the past 20 years, we would be done for. At that point there is no need to invade. The US would be unable to do anything anyway.
The only thing that they would need to be worried about is when the chaos in the US beings to stabilize. History has shown that almost every great superpower in the world started as being highly conservative in regards to how cities are run. Taxes were collected and put toward the military and infrastructure. Social programs were few and people were expected to work and carry their own weight. The Roman Empire is a great example of this as well as our own country. When the dust begins to settle, only the strong and the smart will have survived. I believe that conservative values of independence, self reliance, morality and our ability to protect our families will win in the end. We would rebuild with the values that survived, and God help who ever it was that attacked us.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM

F) Global warming will create bioregional division amongst the American people. Those in the cities will no longer have the means to provide for themselves and will move inland as refugees. Failure to maintain infrastructure will exacerbate the decline.

However, most young people are resourceful and won't settle for the alternatives provided by big gov't or big business. It won't be pretty, but they'll mitigate and adapt to the new situation.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -trip45 View Post
I'll have to go with B, although I think a lot of the other options are very possible. We have gotten lucky with not having all the grids taken down by a solar flare yet. But still sticking with B, with all of the earthquakes that we are causing and the possibility that Yellowstone may blow, any of those could cause a little chaos. But I think it would be partially localized, but the refugee situation would spread it around.
Last fall, October I think? (not sure)
Solar flare on far side of Sun, so large it would have reached 1/3 distance to earth. It would have taken out ALL of planets power grids, much of our communication, and would have surely caused the situation I describe
Yellowstone is overdue, and last time it put much of Midwest under 6' of volcanic ash
Most likely is microbiological, we play where we shouldn't.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurveman View Post

I know it wasn't part of the original question but it begs to be asked. Why would another country do that? I think that a lot of people have the wrong idea about warfare between two super-powers. I do not think that Russia or China would ever invade mainland USA, no matter the conditions of the country. It does not make any sense to do so. Yes we have mineral resources and huge infrastructure, however we are also a land of hard asses. I know that it may sound goofy but its true. We are known the world over for being highly aggressive hard asses, and are renowned for our xenophobia. No matter the crisis here in the US, if a foreign county invaded mainland USA there are over 100 MILLION gun owners that I am quite sure would be more then happy to forget about the fact that we don't have power. Head over to where the invading army is at, and show them what the second amendment is all about. These foreign countries know this and it is probably why we have not been all out invaded yet. However if you take down the USA mainland, you inhibit us from fully protecting our over seas assets. Our bases are crippled and our ability to assist other weaker nations from invasions would be greatly reduced. If a superpower wanted to take down the world. Take down the US power grid. Sit back and watch us eat each other alive for a while. Take out our assets overseas. Invade small countries in the EU and Asia and use their infrastructure to get closer to the US. Cut off trade and shipping lanes to the US. With no outside resources and having not invested in any resources that we have in the US such as oil and gas, manufacturing and production in the past 20 years, we would be done for. At that point there is no need to invade. The US would be unable to do anything anyway.
The only thing that they would need to be worried about is when the chaos in the US beings to stabilize. History has shown that almost every great superpower in the world started as being highly conservative in regards to how cities are run. Taxes were collected and put toward the military and infrastructure. Social programs were few and people were expected to work and carry their own weight. The Roman Empire is a great example of this as well as our own country. When the dust begins to settle, only the strong and the smart will have survived. I believe that conservative values of independence, self reliance, morality and our ability to protect our families will win in the end. We would rebuild with the values that survived, and God help who ever it was that attacked us.
Well thought out, but conclusion seems flawed.
IMO it will be the most successful and yet completely primitive that will survive. Look around, it is the strongest and smartest that have embraced technology the most. Primitive cultures know less, need less, have less to lose, and less will change in their world. Think village high in Peruvian Andes. America continues to like wars we think we can win w/ superior firepower, and war becomes tiresome and distasteful, when we fail to overwhelm the enemy. In WWII EVERYONE fought the enemy. (my mom, rationing and selling bonds, small town Texas.)
I meet h/s age students that can tweet celebs on cell phones, and can't find Viet Nam with a map!!! I hope it is not their morality, or their self reliance, you allude to, you might find disappointment. Just my opinion here, and it might change, it often does.

BTW has any great Empire or Superpower ever returned to former glory? Some of Europe has regained temporary stability, but that is best case.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 07-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:18 PM

It's going to be A, it always is.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Zombies