Storm Shelter in Garage - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Storm Shelter in Garage

I am building a garage. It will be built into the side of a hill. The upstairs will be a studio (man cave style). The lower level will be a large two car garage (allow for Winter storage for a 22' boat). The way it will be built will allow the back portion to be underground. I am brainstorming for ideas for the build. The garage door/s will be either two or one roll up type. I also plan to have a man door next to roll up.

Of course the lower level will be concrete walls. I am planning to dedicate the furthest space (into the hill) to be dedicated to the shelter. I am considering an interior wall of concrete allowing for a space about 8' by 28'. Steel door inside the garage...camouflaged to conceal from Goblins.

Not sure what to do for the roof of the shelter. The exterior garage roof must match the house (wife mandated) shingles.

What suggestions do you have?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:30 PM

Make sure you have good drainage around that in-hill part.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM

You should check out Hardi plank siding.

I built a large garage for myself sided with this stuff about thirteen years ago. It still looks brand new. It qualifies my shop as a masonry building and there fore fireproof. Big break on the insurance.

When I was first looking at this stuff. I realized that "fire resistance" means a lot of different things to different people. Well I got a piece of this stuff. I held a propane torch to it for twenty minutes. It did not even get hot.

Also check out mastersecuritydoors.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Both great suggestions. I live on the side of a big hill, so rain run off is a big problem here. Fortunately the previous owner was a Builder so he done a lot to control rain runoff. And it will be a big concern when building this addition to the property.

One of my wife's biggest concerns is the outward appearance of the Garage /studio. And she has made me promise to make it make the style of the house. The original siding for our house is Hardi Plank and I agree. I love it. I did not know that we could get a break on insurance for that so I will check.

The doors look great, I will make some decisions soon. But right now I am leaning towards a steel inward swinging model. I am also thinking one way in and out. But on having a couple long jacks stored inside for escape if required.

I also plan to store a gun safe in the space. Contingency ammo. And some food...although I have plenty of critters out side to eat.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 AM

If you are wanting to do a cement walls, check out ICF (insulated concrete forms). I used this when I built my basement and LOVED them. They are pretty much giant lego blocks. they have 3 inches of foam on either side so you have automatic insulation right there. Easy to set up, easy to work with, the largest blocks only weigh around 15 pounds. Plus no forms to put up or tear down afterwards. And after putting up the outside rubber material on the ICF it's all but leak proof since there are no block joints and its one continues cement wall.

Also, if you are wanting to make this a true storm shelter, I'd look into doing a cement roof over the shelter part. It would cost a little bit more money, but you'd never have to worry about the second floor coming down on top of you. Would also make it pretty much break-in proof.

As for the steel door, I'd get at least a 36" wide if not a 48" wide door. I put a 48" door that goes from my basement to the garage staircase and have never thought of it as a bad decision. Made it much easier to put the safe in the basement, take a couch down there, the furnace, water heater, basement cabinets for reloading bench, etc.

With regards to the shingles, look at Decra roofing. They are steel shingles. They measure about 3'x4.5' or so. I used them as well due to being fireproof, and their 75 year warranty. Not to mention I will never have to re-roof the house/garage/porch again. They look just like real shingles with numerous color patterns available. Only downside to them is they do not like lots of different angles. But if the roof is flat (not to many dormers, gables) they work great. Another thing to keep in mind is Ice & Water shield on the first couple rows of underlayment on the roof. I'm not sure where you are located but if its anywhere where you get snow regularly in the winter this is something to look into. It pretty much takes any chance of having an ice damn on the roof causing it to leak away.

Only other thing I possible think of is you might want to go 10' wide on the room? Just thinking that if you should add in a set of cabinets or shelving most are 2-3' deep so that would only leave you with a 5' walkway, which is wide, but narrow at the same time.

I apologize for the digression of the post, but just several things I thought of.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I am building a garage. It will be built into the side of a hill. The upstairs will be a studio (man cave style). The lower level will be a large two car garage (allow for Winter storage for a 22' boat). The way it will be built will allow the back portion to be underground. I am brainstorming for ideas for the build. The garage door/s will be either two or one roll up type. I also plan to have a man door next to roll up.

Of course the lower level will be concrete walls. I am planning to dedicate the furthest space (into the hill) to be dedicated to the shelter. I am considering an interior wall of concrete allowing for a space about 8' by 28'. Steel door inside the garage...camouflaged to conceal from Goblins.

Not sure what to do for the roof of the shelter. The exterior garage roof must match the house (wife mandated) shingles.

What suggestions do you have?
Go to this site and skroll a little more than half way down the page. This is a 7'x8'x8' gun safe that is a FEMA approved storm shelter. This is awesome!!!

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/f...city-safe.html
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM

If you are going to store food and ammo in there?

You may just want to make a small investment in a rocket stove to go in there as well. I have had one for years. They are very efficient and work quite well.

Check them out at stockstorage.com
Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 PM

In retirement, I started a new company that among many other things builds custom Storm, Hurricane, and Bomb Shelters....If anybody is serious and wants a quote or just to know what is best for their situation/environment, or even...what not to buy/stay away from, that is just downright dangerous.... PM me (sorry but unfortunately there are a bunch of frauds out there that would put you in a death trap just to make money) !

I believe anything other than a multiple coated steel shelter with Turbine Vents is foolish if you ever expect to spend more than 2 hrs in it ! Sorry but Fiberglass is weak and Concrete constantly weeps moisture and with that comes dangerous mold !
Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Someone asked where I live... I live right outside Columbus GA. Right on the GA / AL line. So I am not too worried about snow...but about two miles away a terrible tornado recently destroyed a lot of homes.

I guess that is my real worry - a tornado. That and a secret place to put some valuables for after a SHTF situation. That is why I want the room dimensions the length of the back wall...and not very deep. And, I hope the carport dimensions will not be too obvious that a room is beyond the wall.

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-06-2014 at 05:58 PM.