1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Banned

Nov/Dec SURVIVALIST Mag

I got the Nov/Dec SURVIVALIST Mag the other day. This is the "solar flare/EMP" issue. You can get a sample issue by going to the web site survivalist.com and clicking on the "free issue" banner. It does cost $1.88 to cover S&H, but that is not a rip off as that is what it costs to ship. Not over impressed with the issue, when it happens we will know who is wrong and who is right, but the idea (I hear this everywhere) that all you have to do is put something in a metal box lined with paper and you are good to go doesn't sound quite right to me. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Guess we'll find out!

Anyway, they spared us the worthless/stupid "gun" article they usually run. The "gun guy" is a friend who got them up and running and now he gets to write the "gun column", usually very poorly. Things like SHOTGUN vs RIFLE which was "a shotgun shoots shot, a rifle has a rifled bore". THAT WAS IT! Or the "I went to a place two hours away where they put a plastic pipe over the gun barrel and pour plastic around the barrel. Had wonderful drive up and back and shot a couple of the factory guns." And...? AND...? And nothing. No address, no prices, no 'I took a gun up to try and...', no nothing! WORTHLESS! They have a slug of highly knowledgeable gun nuts and reloading experts writing for them, but "the gun guy" gets to write the gun articles for them since he helped get them up and running, even if he has no clue what he is talking about and couldn't tell you if he did.

The issues now seem to be theme issues, solar flare, NWO, foraging, water, etc. which is OK, but I would like to see a bit of everything, not just one thing. Anyway every one can have an off issue, so I don't hold it against them if I am not impressed with a couple issues, every mag I get (I get them all) has had a few issues that I wasn't too impressed with. Check it out, it is a good mag usually.

Speaking of "not too impressed with", SELF-RELIANCE JOURNAL had another "cowboy coffee" article! The first was three pages of "put water in pot, put pot over fire/heat, boil water, crush/grind coffee beans, put coffee beans in water, boil." THREE PAGES! WITH PHOTOS! How stupid do they think we are? OK, going by the trolls on most sites, possibly that was a bit over the average trolls head, but come on! If you are going to survive, you should be able to figure this out on your own! Now they run ANOTHER one! Same thing, only the girl who wrote this one is a lot smarter. "All the old timers who did this every day (made cowboy coffee), including my father, did this and told me to do it this way too, but I don't think you need to do it that way, so there! I'm MUCH smarter than the experts who do it every day are!" There is at least one or more of these "you have GOT to be kidding me!" articles in every issue, like the THREE dandelion articles they ran. "Pick in spring and eat as salad, pick in summer and boil and eat." OK,....and? Oh,...that's it. I really needed THREE articles in THREE issues saying the same thing, with photos, to figure this out?

Well all for now.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the heads up, and got a little chuckle this morning too, I'll check it out!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Well you know how strange the survivalist people can see.
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Is it mostly for outhouse reading?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Banned

Speaking of "not too impressed with", SELF-RELIANCE JOURNAL had another "cowboy coffee" article! The first was three pages of "put water in pot, put pot over fire/heat, boil water, crush/grind coffee beans, put coffee beans in water, boil." THREE PAGES! WITH PHOTOS! How stupid do they think we are? OK, going by the trolls on most sites, possibly that was a bit over the average trolls head, but come on! If you are going to survive, you should be able to figure this out on your own! Now they run ANOTHER one! Same thing, only the girl who wrote this one is a lot smarter. "All the old timers who did this every day (made cowboy coffee), including my father, did this and told me to do it this way too, but I don't think you need to do it that way, so there! I'm MUCH smarter than the experts who do it every day are!" There is at least one or more of these "you have GOT to be kidding me!" articles in every issue, like the THREE dandelion articles they ran. "Pick in spring and eat as salad, pick in summer and boil and eat." OK,....and? Oh,...that's it. I really needed THREE articles in THREE issues saying the same thing, with photos, to figure this out?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM

You might want to read "Disaster Preparedness for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms" by Arthur T. Bradley, Ph.D

I have 40 years electronic experience and I found it worthwhile. He actually did testing to measure signal levels and signal attenuation. An ammo can or trash can can give a 50% signal reduction when you really need to reduce it to 1/1000.
Good info. Well worth reading. I learned from it.