Wow, I wish I had my rain barrel set up - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Wow, I wish I had my rain barrel set up

It is raining furiously here in Austin, TX area.

I can hear the hundreds of gallons of rain falling from the roof onto the tarp covering my rain barrels outside from up here on the 2nd story.

Too bad this rental house doesn't have gutters. I would have filled all 10 of the 55gallon drums in about 2 minutes.

Crazy lightning too.

OnceFired
Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Rain barrels are an interesting idea, after seeing whats in rain gutters most of the time I am not sure I could use that water for much though.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM

I spent this summer putting out buckets under the run off by my porch awning whenever it rained heavily. I didn't have gutters over my porch awning, but it worked and I had free water to hydrate my garden this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 10:07 PM

FUNNY>>>>>I installed one for my wife....she loves it and uses it for her garden.....
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM

I have always liked the idea of catching rain water runoff from the roof. After it has been thru the gutters and sat in a storage tank it would deffinately have to be boiled for any type of personal use. But atleast you would have water in a situation where thete is no electricity to pump water from your well.

Does any one on here have a setup to manually pump from there well if there was a prolonged power outage
Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM

While we didn't drink it very much our fishing camp had a large water tank for catching rain water which was our only source of water for bathing, washing dishes etc.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbylabs View Post
Rain barrels are an interesting idea, after seeing whats in rain gutters most of the time I am not sure I could use that water for much though.
Most people who do this either use the water in the garden or for drinking they will regularly clean their gutters, use a backwash system, and use a purifier to clean the water further for drinking. It's actually nice if their aren't city/state laws that prevent it.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 AM
Banned

I had free water to hydrate my garden this year.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 PM

For me, it's all about water for the yard and/or the garden. In a pinch, it's water, and could be boiled & treated for personal use.

I already have 3 barrels in my garage for drinking water storage (never used for rainwater) and the other 10 (550 gallons) were for gardening. How unfortunate it is that my landlord has only installed gutters on about 10-20 feet of the roof. What's worse is the only downspout is in the front yard on the side of the porch - and the HOA here won't let me put one out there. You gotta love the irony there - the HOA wants things to look nice, but won't let me catch rainwater to keep the yard green when we don't get rain.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:48 PM

There are some rainwater catchment and treatment systems for homes that deal with filtration.

Rainwater beats tap water all over for plants. It didn't take the horticulturist who told me that for me to recognize though. Watch the yard, garden or any plants you've been watering for a week off the hose and see how they seem to visibly react after a rain. If you only catch rain for the garden you save and you and your plant benefit.

Sadly, we're in a rental too and no gutters. I still have a place or two coming off the roof I could catch water. It just doesn't do that much here though. Did some today, but nothing like up Austin way.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Has anyone thought about the fact that rainwater is soft water? Doesn't have any chemicals or minerals in it? Great for drinking and hydration. Gardens love it. "Run off" water depends on what it was running off of? Pros and cons about rainwater but I love it.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911sig View Post
Does any one on here have a setup to manually pump from there well if there was a prolonged power outage

I have a submerged pump on my cased well.
It's attached to 30' of high pressure flexible plastic pipe.
The pipe is attached to a 1 1/2" galvanized fitting.
The cased well pulls water from 115' down and is fed by the Equs Beds of the Ogallala Aquifer.

I have a pitcher pump.
I have a double female fitting to a pipe on the pitcher pump.
All I have to do is wrench the fitting and then wrench the pitcher pump onto it.

I can and have done this to ensure it works.

I can pump water as long as my arm holds up.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceFired View Post
For me, it's all about water for the yard and/or the garden. In a pinch, it's water, and could be boiled & treated for personal use.

I already have 3 barrels in my garage for drinking water storage (never used for rainwater) and the other 10 (550 gallons) were for gardening. How unfortunate it is that my landlord has only installed gutters on about 10-20 feet of the roof. What's worse is the only downspout is in the front yard on the side of the porch - and the HOA here won't let me put one out there. You gotta love the irony there - the HOA wants things to look nice, but won't let me catch rainwater to keep the yard green when we don't get rain.
Isn't the motto of Austin, "keeping Austin weird"? Some things Austinites do makes me scratch my head.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 AM

I have two 80 gallon barrels from Home Depot set up. In an emergency I can drink it, after purifying it, or use it for toilet water. Plus, the plants like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceFired View Post
It is raining furiously here in Austin, TX area.

I can hear the hundreds of gallons of rain falling from the roof onto the tarp covering my rain barrels outside from up here on the 2nd story.

Too bad this rental house doesn't have gutters. I would have filled all 10 of the 55gallon drums in about 2 minutes.

Crazy lightning too.

OnceFired
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 PM

If needed you can make a filtration system using five gallon buckets with small holes drilled in the bottoms. Fill the bottom bucket 3/4's full with charcoal, place a second bucket on top 3/4's full of sand, and lastly place the third bucket on top of that, filled with gravel. Place under your 50 gallon drum and let the water drain slow and steady. This system will work in a pinch, and once set up properly will take alot less energy then boiling, and help preserve fuel for long term situations. The charcoal will remove 99 percent of the harmful contaminates your water may have.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM

Two years ago I bought a pair of those "water rocks". They look like large rock out crops, but they are actually a rain barrel that has a hose in the back coming from the rain spout. Worked great for the wife's garden and flower pots in the summer, but when I went to drain them for the winter they glugged out some nasty looking algae crap.

Once I was done I tried to flush them out but, it wasn't fun. How do you keep the water from getting gunked up??
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 AM

Got a great score from CraigsList the other day. A local man was giving away all 80-100 of his 55 gallon barrels. Nearly all were food grade plastic variety with two bungs on the top. I snagged up 30 of them by being there fast. It helped that I was only about 2 miles away from the guy, but I made 5 trips with the minivan! hahahaha

I had already rinsed out about 15 of them - including five I set aside for more potable water storage for the family. The rest I had been cleaning up to convert over into rain barrels whether for me or to sell.

And then we got rain. Tons of it very quickly yesterday. If my landlord had gutters, and I had them connected via the 2" PVC pipes I have, I would have been able to fill up all 40 in less than an hour.

As it was, I got 5 barrels filled just from a 6' section of roof above my glass door - the only portion of my roof that I can collect from. And it's hit & miss since I have to strategically place the first barrel to be in JUST the right spot to catch the water at different flow rates.

I ended up using the rain water to finish the job of rinsing everything else out. That was nearly 300 gallons of water I didn't have to pay for.