Your Own Food? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Your Own Food?

I live in SW Montana and the nearest town of any size (50,000+) is 50 miles away. We have a lot of people who are into self sufficiency here and we enjoy fresh foods of every variety. Eggs that have a deep yellow yolk from range free chickens and their meat is out of this world! Raw milk that still has the cream on the top of the bottle, bacon that comes from local hogs as does the pork, veggies that are locally grown by farmers that depend on their products for a living and you can't get any fresher than that? Over the weekend we picked potatoes at a local farmers field and the caveat was we had to put twice as many as we took home into the big cubic containers for the local food banks. This is community living at its best.
I'm looking forward to putting elk and venison into the freezer and sharing the rest with those less fortunate. Around here you don't have to ask for help. The problem is so many people are ready to jump in and help they get in each others way!
BTW, the temps are in the 20's now at night so if you think about moving here you better be prepared to get cold when the temps drop! This is still shirtsleeve weather.
Semper Fi
P.S. this area is full of ugly faces but no weak ones!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM

We try to do as much as we can with our own food. However I have just started a new career within the last year and my time is very limited and will continue to be so for at least another year.

We usually can most of our garden and I usually spend as much free time as possible looking for critters to stuff in the freezer. In fact we even butcher our own animals. I know its common for many hunters is this region to do so, but I am surprised at how many people I know who pay for their animal to be cut and wrapped.

My boss's brother was extremely surprised to learn this morning while we were talking about this that I could butcher my own. Now I am no expert I don't know half of what a real butch knows, but I can get the tender loins, back strap, Rib eye's and the T-bones.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 PM

I live in the foot hills of the ozarks with the closest medical facility 28 miles away . we raise chickens , rabbits , forage for wild berries , mushrooms and plant a garden canning or pickling almost all . there are plenty of places to fish we freeze quite a bit and I never pass up the chance to put wild game on the table and in thr freezer . as fliyn rock says we all help each other out here and look out for each other . myself and my wife both commute to work so we try to take advantage of our trips to gather in town what we need . it can be alot of work but we enjoy the solitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 PM

I like it a lot. You know precisely what your talking about exactly where other people are coming from on this issue.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrock View Post
I live in SW Montana and the nearest town of any size (50,000+) is 50 miles away. We have a lot of people who are into self sufficiency here and we enjoy fresh foods of every variety. Eggs that have a deep yellow yolk from range free chickens and their meat is out of this world! Raw milk that still has the cream on the top of the bottle, bacon that comes from local hogs as does the pork, veggies that are locally grown by farmers that depend on their products for a living and you can't get any fresher than that? Over the weekend we picked potatoes at a local farmers field and the caveat was we had to put twice as many as we took home into the big cubic containers for the local food banks. This is community living at its best.
I'm looking forward to putting elk and venison into the freezer and sharing the rest with those less fortunate. Around here you don't have to ask for help. The problem is so many people are ready to jump in and help they get in each others way!
BTW, the temps are in the 20's now at night so if you think about moving here you better be prepared to get cold when the temps drop! This is still shirtsleeve weather.
Semper Fi
P.S. this area is full of ugly faces but no weak ones!
Well, you are truly living in God's country then. Can't say the same for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM

I think that what you people are doing is great.

My wife and I are fairly self sufficient. However we are east of the river and this wears on our minds. Unfortunately, more and more the people that talk and talk while producing nothing of real substance for the community are trying to have their way. They see your independence as a threat to their power.

We need to fight them tooth and nail. That is the long and the short of it. If we allow them to prevail. Then shame on us for ourselves and our children.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM

Self sufficiency was a long time ago for me. There was not much waste. No garbage pick up. Everything was either mostly consumed or reused (recycled) then. Out of necessity. Convenience or necessity these days. The choice wasn't there a long time ago. It's good that we are trying to go back.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM

My church pushes a two year supply of food for each family , so families are quite good at it. John Moses Browning knew about it. anyone can go to the Mormon storehouse and buy food for very very low prices. I'm talking 100 pounds a wheat for 10 bucks . You can Can it yourself and put in oxygen absorbing packets so it lasts. The storehouse is like the size of Walmart , with prices at 10%. Check it out if you want to start a food storage.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Sometimes I wish I can pack everything up and move out to the country.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Hmmm, Water, water, water. You can't live for more than a few days without it. Your BO plan needs to include this. I live in metro Atlanta and I will go to my farm, 137.2 miles away. I am self-sufficient at the farm, but I need to get there. My BOG includes food for 10 days on tight rations of 800 calories per day. But I have several ways to collect and drink potable water on the way there.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingisgolden View Post
My church pushes a two year supply of food for each family , so families are quite good at it. John Moses Browning knew about it. anyone can go to the Mormon storehouse and buy food for very very low prices. I'm talking 100 pounds a wheat for 10 bucks . You can Can it yourself and put in oxygen absorbing packets so it lasts. The storehouse is like the size of Walmart , with prices at 10%. Check it out if you want to start a food storage.
It had been more than a year since my last visit to the Bishop's Pantry to get some food storage. Not only had they moved to a larger facility, but empty cans to fill are no longer available and neither are the canning machines.
I was told before this was coming due to a new federal law requiring "sterile canning facilities."
Prices are much better than commercial outlets, but no where near 10%.
With no irrigation water for farmers in California's central valley, it makes me wonder if they are they trying to remove food from the "Red States/Red Counties" like Stalin removed food from the Ukraine.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Banned

I was raised that way, growing and hunting food (started with no running water or electricity, then later living off the land in Hawaii with fish and hogs and fruits and vegies, even eating some flowers). I have been trained in finding food. But city life is what it is and I just keep a lot of food stored. I dont see lack of food being a major issue, I just need to decide where I get my food. I just feel bad for those that have never dressed a hog or deer, or even rabbit or squirle.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Well I guess my wife and I have been prepping for the last 35 yrs. and very serious for the last 15. We have rotated arms/ammo/food and other stocks several times over the years and in the last 5 yrs. increased all items.

Five yrs. ago we increased food stocks for an additional 2 yrs., ammo for all handgun, shotgun, light and heavy assault rifles another 5k rounds each. Glad I had done so now for sure at the current prices and availability. Many years ago I listened to a man telling others to prepare for a day and time like has come upon us in this country. One of those was to stockpile .22 cal. ammo as a time would come that it would be worth more than money or gold to trade or barter. Then a brick of 500 was just under $10 so I bought 3 or 4 a week for years and stored it properly.

We have livestock cattle/hogs/chickens here on the farm and this area is full of wild game from deer, black bear, upland game and all types of small game plus plenty of fish. I guess we have been doing it so long that we don't think its lust normal. Like on our rear covered deck we have hanging steel plates out in the back yard at 8/15/25' plus 10" round steel hangers at 25/50/100 yards. Tell friends to bring their guns when they come for a BBQ and do both at the same time.

Glad my wife loves to shoot also she has for years started shooting Trap, best of all she knows how to reload

Last edited by Fred III; 05-07-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Was at a recent farm auction. 525 rd brick of Federal went for $100 and the guy bought 6 of them. Mixed Seran wrapped brick for $60. People have gone mad!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrock View Post
525 rd brick of Federal went for $100 and the guy bought 6 of them.
Some serious crack is bein' smoked for that price.