New Mil-Spec, New Springfield Owner - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 02:50 PM

New Mil-Spec, New Springfield Owner

I went to my LGS this morning hunting for a Colt 1911 Classic and they had just sold their last one. They did however have this Springfield "Mil-Spec" model that looked and felt great with an even better price, $500 so I jumped on it.

I'm something of a Colt fanboy and have never owned a Springfield, so I'm hoping the other members of this forum will enlighten me on the basics.

Are Springfields regarded as on the same level of quality as your basic new Colt? Any known issues with this particular pistol that I need to be aware of?

Like I said, I'm new to Springfield.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0021.jpg  

Last edited by Vintage68; 03-15-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:47 PM

Welcome from us ( Springfield) to you (Colt)! The best thing i can tell you is to google or use the search feature and type in "defender" and you should have plenty of reading for the next several hours on the differences between your Springfield Armory Defender Series 1911 vs. Mil-Spec vs. Colt vs. Rock Island and so on and so on. You have an excellent entry level 1911 from Springfield that is made from the finest Carbon Steel available and chocked full of MIM. I love mine !!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:12 PM

I never owned a Colt I've only heard really bad things about their services .
I've always been turned off by Colt fan boys and their willingness to see
passed the horse on the slide .

Great to have you try a Springfield and be on the forum . The pistol is one of
the best values on the market . Really just keep it lubed well , clean it at normal
intervals like any other 1911 and it will run and shoot just fine . In fact some
Springfield's run on the tight side . So run 500 rds through it fast to break it in .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 PM

I own 4 Springfields. 2 Mil Specs, My Mil Specs are tack drivers eat all hardball I feed them from many different magazines. I hope yours is as good.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 PM

My Mil Spec is a bit older, bit the basics hold true. There will be mim parts in the hammer, sear, disconnector. Frames are all American made now. The ejector may, and I say may, be glued, not pinned. Mine was pinned before they started gluing them. Mine shot fine.

For a basic up grade I would go to Harrison Custom and order a retro rear sight and the appropriate barrel bushing and if you extractor is clocking, a firing pin stop. Then good magazines and ammo.

I have shot several Colts and the Mil Spec rates about even with the Colt Classic. There are good and bad examples of each. And the Mil Spec makes a great base gun to learn on, to build up or hand over to a Smith.

This is my Mil Spec after some work and several years of good use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2020, 07:52 PM

If yours is anything like the one I bought last week, you'll be a very happy camper. I've owned a few Colts and never had much success with them running well. Not knocking Colt, just my unfortunate luck. Since you're familiar with quality made 1911's you'll be surprised at how well these guns are put together at this price point. Enjoy your new Defender.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

First thing I noticed when I brought her back home is that the slide to frame fit is very tight, much tighter than most of the Colts I've owned, and the barrel bushing is very tight too. For whatever reason the slide stop was an absolute bitch to put back in after field stripping and oiling. Haven't been to the range yet.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:20 PM

Look at log man's slide stop modification. It can be done in a few minutes with a cheap (or good) needle file. So easy even I did it with great results.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653
Old 03-15-2020, 08:28 PM

My only issues are the slide stop (see Vintage68) but my Colts are the same- an aftermarket slide stop worked in the Colts, though, not in the SA; and the other issue is a STIFF thumb safety.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
The ejector may, and I say may, be glued, not pinned. Mine was pinned before they started gluing them. Mine shot fine.
Glued? Why would they bother with a Match Grade barrel then turn around and glue the ejector? How do these rumors get started?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage68 View Post
Glued? Why would they bother with a Match Grade barrel then turn around and glue the ejector? How do these rumors get started?
Loctite to secure the ejector has been a thing with SA for years. That, like the ils msh, may have changed recently. All that said, it is an easy fix, and rarely an issue as it usually holds up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 07:28 AM

With any 1911(or fireaem for that matter) , just follow the instructions in the owner's manual and hope the gun runs fine. If it has issues, contact the manufacturer. Springfield usually has good customer service.

I personally wouldn't mod it. Shoot thousands of rounds through it and enjoy it. It's probably fine as is.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:25 AM

The glued ejector is one of those 'The sky is falling!' topics. The Springfield that was the only gun able to pass the FBI-HRT tests has a glued ejector and a few MIM parts.
Technology.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:04 PM

I just purchased one yesterday and it has a pinned ejector. Mine is one of the Defender series Milspecs.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain H View Post
I just purchased one yesterday and it has a pinned ejector. Mine is one of the Defender series Milspecs.
Me too. I bought mine yesterday.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:27 PM

I bought a SA Loaded last summer and it was not drilled and pinned for the ejector. It was glued. It wasn't until I saw Scruff Vette's post last week with pictures showing his field stripped where you could see the pinned frame, that I decided to buy mine. I guess SA is pinning all of their models now.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1011620
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 PM

Congratulations on your new SA. They're good pistols. I just think it's a shame that after so many years they still can't hire a machinist who knows how to set up to cut the slide serrations at a proper 90 degree angle. (just kidding)

The one Springer I've owned is long gone & still missed.
Attached Thumbnails
loaded_l.jpg  
Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 AM

I think the new defender is probably the ”screaming” deal of the year, hard to beat ! And with Springfield’s quality efforts over the past couple of years you should have a really fine gun imho.

As far as the glued ejectors go I have 2 that have it, my emp4 failed at around 5k rounds and since regluing with 2 part epoxy now is at about 5k since the repair, by the way it was an easy fix. Planning to shoot it today, I really like this gun.

My other is a SS 9mm RO that has around 10k on it and the ejector is fine, no problems, personally I would prefer checking on the front straps vs a pinned ejector.

As far as the FBI models go, I may be wrong here but I swear they were all pinned, I think.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:48 PM

The first 1911 I owned was a Colt Series 70. I like it and shot it a lot. Ran across a new parkerized Springfield 1911A1 that cost less than my used Colt so I purchased it. After a few range trips, I liked the Springfield 1911A1 better than the Colt. A few years latter, I sold the Colt. I still own the Springfield.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:11 PM

I bought a used Springfield 1911 Range Officer Champion in .45 last july. It looked to have shot very little and was never registered and have put 800 rounds through it with no problems. Have changed out the grips to Hogue finger groove and I get a better grip o. It
Old 03-18-2020, 07:19 PM

I own a Springfield Range Officer Champion in .45 which I bought used last summer and it's a 70's series Colt. It looked to have been shot very little and hadn't been registered. Since I bought it I've have put 800 rounds through it with no problems. It's a 70s series style and have added Hogue finger type grips. It has joined my two Sig P220s in .45
Old 03-18-2020, 11:55 PM

Springfield is good to go!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Springfield 1911 Mil spec - Great choice. That is what we had when I was in the Army...over 32 years ago. Had one ever since. New had a misfire or jam. Rock solid steel construction, and made in the USA.
You will have many years of faithful service, as others have said....follow all the instructions.
Hit the range - get some trigger time - make you feel like a new man.

Thank you,

Henry

BUY AMERICAN.