Help Me Choose a Holster - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Help Me Choose a Holster

I've just bought a Dan Wesson ECP for a carry gun. I'm not sure at this point if I want an IWB or OWB. I bought a CrossBreed IWB for another gun but didn't like it at all. The leather panel that fit against my body was very uncomfortable, so I'm now looking at leather holsters.

The one OWB holster I'm looking at is Wright Leather holster. Wright is the only maker that includes the Dan Wesson ECP as one that he makes holsters to fit. The ECP is different in that it doesn't have the ball milled section at the end of the slide. Most holster makers mold that cut into their holsters.

I'm including links to the holsters I'm looking at:

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...ancake-holster

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...er-iwb-holster

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-...-special-2.php

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
(The MacDaniel II is the one I'm considering)

https://www.ttgunleather.com/product...d-iwb-scabbard

I'm not considering a Del Fatti holster but the information on the home page leads me to believe that he is not in business. Does anyone know. His holsters look very attractive although expensive.

http://www.delfatti.com/index.html

In reading threads about holsters, I see comments about body characteristics. I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. BUT! a 77 year old body is not the same as a 30-40 year old body of the same height and weight.

Sorry for the long post. I know that may turn some off.

Last edited by alamogunr; 03-10-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Apology
Old 03-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Delfatti is still in business, he's just not taking in any new orders. He's trying to fill the orders already on his book, his waiting list is over 2 years (last time I heard someone mentioned).
Old 03-10-2020, 11:34 AM

I have probably 15 holsters for my 1911's. I keep trying different holsters and always end up back where I started, in a TTGunleather IWB rig. I have 3 "Mikes Specials" holsters just for my Commander sized 1911's...so that I can switch them out daily during the summer if one gets sweaty. I also have the same in 3", and Micro pitols sizes for my kimber 9 and Kimber Micro .380.

They are by far the most comfortable out of all I've tried. That includes kydex/leather hybrids, and just kydex. I carry at 3:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
I've just bought a Dan Wesson ECP for a carry gun. I'm not sure at this point if I want an IWB or OWB. I bought a CrossBreed IWB for another gun but didn't like it at all. The leather panel that fit against my body was very uncomfortable, so I'm now looking at leather holsters.

The one OWB holster I'm looking at is Wright Leather holster. Wright is the only maker that includes the Dan Wesson ECP as one that he makes holsters to fit. The ECP is different in that it doesn't have the ball milled section at the end of the slide. Most holster makers mold that cut into their holsters.

I'm including links to the holsters I'm looking at:

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...ancake-holster

https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/c...er-iwb-holster

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-...-special-2.php

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
(The MacDaniel II is the one I'm considering)

https://www.ttgunleather.com/product...d-iwb-scabbard

I'm not considering a Del Fatti holster but the information on the home page leads me to believe that he is not in business. Does anyone know. His holsters look very attractive although expensive.

http://www.delfatti.com/index.html

In reading threads about holsters, I see comments about body characteristics. I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. BUT! a 77 year old body is not the same as a 30-40 year old body of the same height and weight.

Sorry for the long post. I know that may turn some off.

Holster shopping.....always fun.....until you get one that simply doesn't take care of your needs, comfort, etc.

For absolute comfort, I've found that OWB holsters can be very good.
I'm 51 now....ten years ago I could wear virtually any IWB, AIWB, OWB and be good to go.

Had disc surgery three years ago and was blessed with some great relief. I do, however find that some IWB holsters can be tough to handle at the end of the day....the belt puts odd pressure on the spine and I'll get some wonky pains. To combat this I have found a stout gun belt makes a huge difference. It spreads the weight and the impact the IWB holster makes. A good stout gunbelt is crucial....even though lesser belts will work....they bring the pains midday and at inopportune times.

Another thing that I tend to prefer now....the footprint of the holster, especially with IWB. The wide-winged models, while not as thick between the body & belt...are not easy to shift around if needed. Sometimes a holster with a single anchor point....single loop....is best for me. I can reposition it on the belt with ease and that "new" spot may be just what it takes to calm the nerve pain. I consider the Milt Sparks Summer Special just such a life saver. I can loosen my belt, pop the loop snaps...move holster around a bit....maybe straddle a belt loop or even get ahead/behind the belt loop, snap holster in place and cinch up belt. Can make this adjustment with ease and fairly discreetly.

Holsters like the Tucker Deep Cover or the Garrett IWB have my interest for just such situations.

The heat and humidity that are about to set in locally had me wanting another Sparks SS2 so I could rotate daily. Instead of ordering another, I went with an Andrews MacDaniel II. Mr Sam Andrews is working his magic now....I'll know soon how this works for me in the hot/humid rotation with my SS2.

As far as uber comfort.....I am trusting in the advice that folks here have given on a recent thread on OWB leather that doesn't print and offers comfort. I was going to go with a Wilson Combat Lo Profile II.....but had plenty of wait time until my gun is ready so I went with a lined Tucker HF-1. I really am looking forward to this one. A sport coat or untucked fishing shirt, golf shirt etc should provide plenty to conceal it.
These things have been so highly recommended that I felt I could trust & believe this holster wouldn't wind up in a shoe box on a closet shelf.

So.....my current approach (nothing groundbreaking here....just conventional wisdom that the experienced folks have said)...1) gun belt 2) ease of repositioning for IWB choices 3) OWB for assured "no nerve pain all day" carry

I'll add >>>> 4) Revisiting some of the alloy framed commander and cco guns available. There is not doubt that ounces shaved off can make for lasting carry comfort.

I'm really looking forward to the new Tucker & Andrews leather.

I have great results with Sparks VM2 & Criterion.....but the easy-to-adjust SS2 is a must-have for this old dog and I can recommend it without reservation. It'll hunt for a long, long time and not likely wind up in a shoe box. Can be found in stock on Brownells and Top Gun Supply and other places...if not in stock at Milt Sparks. If for some wonky reason you don't like it then you can flip it on a gun forum and recoup your loss.

Good luck. Happy shopping and very nice pistola you are sporting there, too.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM

IWB: Milt Sparks Criterion
OWB: Kramer Horsehide Belt Scabbard
I have one of each for every size pistol I carry. No need to look farther for me.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM

Save yourself the "box of holsters" syndrome.

Pick up a Milt Sparks Criterion and call it a day.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:08 PM

Galco Speed Paddle is a favorite of mine. very comfortable and not a bad price.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:41 PM

I have had great results with Simply Rugged holsters. I tried to put up a link, but it didnt work. I use the Cuda & the Defcon3. If you get the Cuda be sure to get the inside out straps. They allow the Cuda to be used OWB & IWB.The Defcon 3 includes the straps. Both very good, comfortable, secure holsters.

Last edited by Frank Vaccaro; 03-10-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
... Simply Rugged holsters. I tried to put up a link, but it didnt work.
https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...cfm?cat_id=669
Old 03-11-2020, 08:20 AM

If you are looking for leather you can do no better than Warbird. Paul is a great guy and does quality work. You can find several threads here on the forums related to his holsters, so just do a search on Warbird or Warbird Leather and you'll find plenty of info. Highly recommended!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Sig M11-a1 in Wright Leather Closer. Rides higher than expected and very close to the body.
Attached Thumbnails
47C6A387-6D0F-41DC-811B-BD81E0A4DB0F_1583933878790.jpeg  
Old 03-11-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
If you are looking for leather you can do no better than Warbird. Paul is a great guy and does quality work. You can find several threads here on the forums related to his holsters, so just do a search on Warbird or Warbird Leather and you'll find plenty of info. Highly recommended!
The pictures I get when I Google Warbird Leather are very attractive. BUT! All they are is pictures. There is no link to a website with descriptions, prices, etc. The one link showing pictures is from SmugMug, which I gather is a photo hosting site.

https://paultripodi.smugmug.com/1911-Holsters/

Are you sure that he is still in business?

Last edited by alamogunr; 03-11-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:14 PM

Nelson Holsters, he works with you to make a custom design for your circumstances. I am very pleased with the one he made for me, ended my search for holsters.

http://www.nelsonholsters.com/index.html
Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 PM

Thanks, vortec. That adds another one to my short list. My gun is not on his list but if I decide to go with a Nelson holster, I will contact him first.

One thing is certain: there are a lot of excellent craftsmen out there and they are apparently doing well. The Democrats have no idea of the businesses they have helped.

Last edited by alamogunr; 03-11-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. BUT! a 77 year old body is not the same as a 30-40 year old body of the same height and weight.
Will you actually be buying a holster based on someone else's recommendation?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Check out Tucker Gunleather for OWB holster.
Beautiful craftsmanship and stays close to body.
Attached Thumbnails
D3734E0F-B884-4621-913E-379CABD97703.jpeg  

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 03-11-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
My gun (Dan Wesson ECP) is not on his list
1911 with a 4" barrel is on his list. I got one designed for a 1911 with a 4.25" barrel. He offered to increase the holster length so I could carry a 5", but I declined. Still wrestling with that decision.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 PM

Milt Sparks makes a really nice holster... but so does Wright leather... Sparks is a little bit more and about twice the wait... hope that helps
Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban View Post
Will you actually be buying a holster based on someone else's recommendation?
Would it be better to start out completely cold and start Googling holsters without knowing what others use and like. I've gotten a lot of recommendations but am only looking to buy one holster(at present). I've looked at several holster maker's websites and seen many, many pictures of holsters. It has helped to narrow things down to those models that others have recommended.

I'm curious. How would you buy a holster, especially if you lived in an area where you would have to drive several hundred miles to be able to look at even a few of the better holsters available.

Or, would you just start ordering and try to return any that didn't work out or just throw them in a box labeled "Bad Choice".

I've bought one holster. No input, just my own evaluation. I'm giving it to my son with the stipulation that, if he doesn't like it, he should give it away or throw it away.

Sorry for the rant. I think I've got enough advice and will go from here and make a decision.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 AM

Hi Alamogunr,

I'm Paul Tripodi from Warbird Leather. I'm still in business. I don't have a website, I just do the "internet word of mouth" thing. If you'd like, you can email me at [email protected] and I can send info on options and pricing.

Paul
Old 03-12-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Hammerless View Post
I'm Paul Tripodi from Warbird Leather. I'm still in business. I don't have a website, I just do the "internet word of mouth" thing. If you'd like, you can email me at [email protected] and I can send info on options and pricing.
Alamogunr,

I Highly recommend Paul and his Warbird holsters. I have a couple of his products, and couldn't be happier. Many of the other holster makers that are mentioned in this thread are good as well, and in fact I have a few holsters from some of those sources too. But going forward, any holster I need is going to come from Paul.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info, Paul. I will go back and look more closely at the pictures.

Thanks also to joepilot. More recommendations also help.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Overland Gunleather
Old 03-15-2020, 08:37 PM

Check out pure kustom holsters. He makes a holster that can go iwb or owb. Rocky is a great guy to deal with. I have one getting made by him as we speak.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
I have probably 15 holsters for my 1911's. I keep trying different holsters and always end up back where I started, in a TTGunleather IWB rig. I have 3 "Mikes Specials" holsters just for my Commander sized 1911's...so that I can switch them out daily during the summer if one gets sweaty. I also have the same in 3", and Micro pitols sizes for my kimber 9 and Kimber Micro .380.

They are by far the most comfortable out of all I've tried. That includes kydex/leather hybrids, and just kydex. I carry at 3:30.
I use a TTGunleather Slim XC for my CZ75 Compact. Been carrying for less than a year, so not a lot of experience, but this has not once been an uncomfortable combo ever. I use a 1.75" belt. Heavy gun, yes. But I shoot it well.