Help? True Zero Optic Plate screw size? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Help? True Zero Optic Plate screw size?

Have a Wilson Combat EDC X9 with a Trijicon SRO mounted. I noticed today the optic plate is loose and "rattling". I removed the SRO to tighten the plate screws but I'm not sure what size the screws are. The screws appear to be Torx. The T20 is too small and the T25 is too big. Anyone know what size the screws are and what the torque spec they should be tightened to? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:33 PM

I think they are Allen? I haven't checked mine so I can't really tell you but don't go above 20 inch lb that's for sure
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-23-2020, 06:33 PM

I ordered replacements for my plate and for my SRO.

One of them is 6-32 x 3/8” and one is M4-0.7 x 6mm.

I forget which is which at this point and they are sitting in plastic bags. I do not recall in/lb right now, but I believe it is in a thread somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 02:27 PM

For True Zero plate

All of the screws for “plate to slide” is a Torx Plus 20 screw and are all torqued to 25 in-lbs. The “optic to plate” screw varies from optic to optic from T10 (Acro/Holosun 509T - 25 in-lbs), TPlus 15 (RMR/SRO/Venom - 10 in-lbs), 1/16” Hex (Razor - 5 in-lbs), and T15 (Delta Point - 25 in-lbs).

You can use vibratitite or threadlocker on the plate to slide to reduce loosening
[email protected]
Sure! I would be happy to Google that for you!
Old 02-24-2020, 04:56 PM

About how many rounds did you have through the gun before the screws came loose?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
About how many rounds did you have through the gun before the screws came loose?
Mine lasted over 1200 and is not loose, my Brown couldn't go 300 till I used green on it
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-24-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Only @500 rounds. Tightened everything back up tonight with Loctite. Hopefully it won't loosen again.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:01 PM

I was considering sending my X9 in for an optic cut and Trijicon RMR installation. I literally just closed the quote WC emailed me when I saw this post. My concern was that I wouldn’t be able to get the screws loose to remove the Optic to change the battery. Or that the screws would strip out.

This gives me pause of a different concern now.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I was considering sending my X9 in for an optic cut and Trijicon RMR installation. I literally just closed the quote WC emailed me when I saw this post. My concern was that I wouldn’t be able to get the screws loose to remove the Optic to change the battery. Or that the screws would strip out.

It's not the optic to plate that is the issue, it's the plate to gun. MANY people I know use red/blue/green locktite to solve the issue and none of us have issue with the sight to plate bolts backing out.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:

It's not the optic to plate that is the issue, it's the plate to gun. MANY people I know use red/blue/green locktite to solve the issue and none of us have issue with the sight to plate bolts backing out.
Thanks for that info. I’ve never fired a red dot on a pistol so that is new to me. After reviewing the Deltapoint Pro , Trijicon SRO and Trijicon RMR, I like the features of the DPP best. The DPP has auto on/off, clear glass and the battery can be replaced on top.

However everyone I have spoke says to get the RMR as it is more durable. My concern was getting the RMR screws off to replace the battery, since the screws are loctited on and the battery is underneath.

But the whole dang plate coming loose in a firefight would just suck. Even the backup rear iron sight is mounted to the plate.

I was on the fence about doing this in the first place.

This might not be for me if the thought of the plate coming loose every 500-1200 rounds is going to be a concern.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Only @500 rounds. Tightened everything back up tonight with Loctite. Hopefully it won't loosen again.
I know you've already got it back together but I watched this the other day and might be helpful as to how much loctite to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hoqqp9mE60
Old 02-24-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for that info. I’ve never fired a red dot on a pistol so that is new to me. After reviewing the Deltapoint Pro , Trijicon SRO and Trijicon RMR, I like the features of the DPP best. The DPP has auto on/off, clear glass and the battery can be replaced on top.

However everyone I have spoke says to get the RMR as it is more durable. My concern was getting the RMR screws off to replace the battery, since the screws are loctited on and the battery is underneath.

But the whole dang plate coming loose in a firefight would just suck. Even the backup rear iron sight is mounted to the plate.

I was on the fence about doing this in the first place.

This might not be for me if the thought of the plate coming loose every 500-1200 rounds is going to be a concern.
I have had my Ed Brown plate come loose 5 times before I used red and just flat stopped the issue. Each time I only noticed when I was shooting at least 30 yards and was off slightly with a wandering zero, on the other hand I have iron sights leave my guns entirely in two shots sometimes and have no ability to hit past point shooting. The plate even when loose still allows far better accuracy than iron sights in my hands at lest, I had my true zero gun lose its iron sight and didn't notice until after my reload in a string when the sight moved so much the left ear blocked the center of my window.

If you are really concerned about the fact there is an intermediate plate get the NHC IOS system, they now have ability to retro fit the system and one of my guns was the first one it was retrofitted on. You can drop the gun on the optic repeatedly and the system will not fail and it totally impossible for it to get loose and allows true return to zero. Hate to say it but as much as I love WC I'm regretting getting one of my guns with the true zero, it's not at all a bad system and I perfer it to many other but right now the IOS system is the best in the game for any handgun slide optic 1911 or not.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
For True Zero plate

All of the screws for “plate to slide” is a Torx Plus 20 screw and are all torqued to 25 in-lbs. The “optic to plate” screw varies from optic to optic from T10 (Acro/Holosun 509T - 25 in-lbs), TPlus 15 (RMR/SRO/Venom - 10 in-lbs), 1/16” Hex (Razor - 5 in-lbs), and T15 (Delta Point - 25 in-lbs).

You can use vibratitite or threadlocker on the plate to slide to reduce loosening
Thanks for the information. I spoke with someone on the phone yesterday and they had quoted 35 in-lbs for the plate and 15-20 in-lbs for the optic. 35 in-lbs seemed high so I only tightened to about 25-28 in-lbs so should be good. I did tighten the optic to about 18 in-lbs. Hopefully that does not cause any issues.