Several stars demand movie studios stop backing NRA-supported politicians - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-31-2020, 10:06 PM
FNHipowerluv FNHipowerluv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,990
We need to stop fussing about video games. That's a great way to scare off younger supporters to our cause.

Like others said, if you properly demonstrate the difference between good and evil to your kids, and don't put them on a bunch of medications to substitute for parenting, no amount of exposure to violent media will turn your kid into a monster.

The older gentlemen in this forum got to see violent gunfights in westerns, and get exposed to early action flicks like James Bond. Looney Toons is incredibly violent by cartoon standards. Violence is not a new thing in media, and not the immediate cause of this new breed of killers.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:41 AM
f1racefan f1racefan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: western Kentucky
Posts: 667
Hollywood is the largest propagator of gun violence that exists. Certainly a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:12 PM
PolymerMan PolymerMan is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
Hollywood is the largest propagator of gun violence that exists. Certainly a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
I disagree with that (pot calling the kettle black) because the NRA is not a propagator of gun violence. The NRA actually teaches people to respect firearms and to defend our 2nd amendment right to self-defense and to safeguard the state from tyranny.

Hollywood and its misanthropic movie and TV industry does nothing of the kind. They promote violence as a form of sheer entertainment and they make billions off the portrayal of violence. No other industry that I can think of glamorizes the killing of other humans as well as the media industry.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #29  
Old 02-01-2020, 02:15 PM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,160
I saw plenty of violent movies as a child and read lots of books about the horrors of WW II and the slaughter of the American Indians and it didn't cause me to go out and commit mass shootings. It did cause me to develop a deep hatred of most politicians though. But one cannot blame an object for the horrible parenting many kids deal with or the massive usage of psychotropic drugs on these kids. These monsters were simply created by parents who didn't want to take the time to deal with them and a medical industry that is "too big to fail" and incredibly inept and greedy. We seem to have an awful large number of stupid people who should have never been allowed to raise children.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2020, 03:20 PM
PolymerMan PolymerMan is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
I saw plenty of violent movies as a child and read lots of books about the horrors of WW II and the slaughter of the American Indians and it didn't cause me to go out and commit mass shootings. It did cause me to develop a deep hatred of most politicians though. But one cannot blame an object for the horrible parenting many kids deal with or the massive usage of psychotropic drugs on these kids. These monsters were simply created by parents who didn't want to take the time to deal with them and a medical industry that is "too big to fail" and incredibly inept and greedy. We seem to have an awful large number of stupid people who should have never been allowed to raise children.
I have always enjoyed a good action movie, be it a western, war movie, gangster movie, sci-fi future dystopian movie, etc. It has never created the urge to "get violent".

However, people need to draw the line on what Hollywood does. It sort of like pornography and the distinction between just plain porn and a romance movie.

Most porn movies just feature gratuitous nudity and sex and practically no redeeming story, as opposed to a good romance or love story where some sex and a brief amount of nudity contributes to the story.

Likewise, Hollywood makes movies in which the feature attraction is just violence; killing and cold blooded gun homicide with little or no well developed storyline or characters. They profit from a genre of fictional snuff films as no different than those that specialized in porn.

However that being said, it is hypocritical of Hollyweird types to go and place blame on the NRA as if they are promoting violence when in fact, the NRA does not promote violence in the same vein as the movie industry. The NRA is making sure that Americans have the tools to prevent themselves from ever becoming victims of violence.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-01-2020, 08:39 PM
NonHyphenAmerican NonHyphenAmerican is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hooterville in S.C. Kansas
Posts: 7,609
I think we should ban all Hollyweird Movies that utilize a gun in any fashion and also prohibit actors from receiving residuals for any movie part they played that used a gun.
__________________
I hope and pray that none may kill me, Nor I kill any, with woundings grim. But if ever any should think to kill me, I pray thee, God, let me kill him first
I leave this rule for others when I'm dead, Be always sure you're right — THEN GO AHEAD! Davy Crockett
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:08 PM
dsk's Avatar
dsk dsk is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 70,153
In the old days violence in films was only shown as necessary. In a James Cagney movie someone would pull a gun, and you knew that a major character as about to get shot. Beyond that however there was very little gunplay. War movies naturally had lots of shooting deaths, but they were never graphic (unrealistic of course, but you were supposed to be entertained, not made to faint or throw up your popcorn).

Today's movies however are so full of graphic, senseless, and over-the-top violence that it has numbed many people to the very idea of it. Especially people like Quentin Tarantino, who seems to relish in making his movies as gory and disgusting as possible. I'm sorry Quentin, but if you lop someone's head off with a katana we don't need to see blood being sprayed everywhere like he was a human fire hydrant.

I see similar issues with car chase movies, where young people who watch them seem to have developed the false notion that you can wipe out at 100mph and then just crawl out of the car afterwards with little more than a sore neck.
__________________
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-02-2020, 06:12 AM
Plantar5 Plantar5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtm View Post
I vote with my pocket book! I can't remember the last movie I saw.

Newt
American Sniper was the last movie i saw in a theater. Besides that, I have no desire to support those morons. I laugh whenever I see Michael Moore or Rosie O’Donnell, Im not sure the liberals even take them seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-02-2020, 06:57 AM
tractor tractor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
American Sniper was the last movie i saw in a theater. Besides that, I have no desire to support those morons. I laugh whenever I see Michael Moore or Rosie O’Donnell, Im not sure the liberals even take them seriously.

You may be right, but they still get “air time“. Their nonsense gets distributed by the msm regardless of its logic because they are “celebrities”. The msm is attracted to them like opposite magnetic poles.
__________________
"Your other left........"

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-02-2020, 07:01 AM
Johnny handgun's Avatar
Johnny handgun Johnny handgun is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.M. IA
Age: 61
Posts: 7,550
I didn’t notice Bevis or Butthead so.....
__________________
Meet me, Jesus, meet me in the middle of the air, if my wings should fail me, Lord, please meet me with another pair, so I can die easy. *WWG1WGA*
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Plantar5 Plantar5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
You may be right, but they still get “air time“. Their nonsense gets distributed by the msm regardless of its logic because they are “celebrities”. The msm is attracted to them like opposite magnetic poles.
I agree about the “airtime”, but to a growing degree that airtime is serving to demonstrate what radical idiots they are, even to liberals. The MSM cast of clowns are also slowly self destructing in some individual cases, as evidenced by a total loss of objectivity and biase with the entire impeachment fiasco. There are far fewer athletes and celebrities saying/doing the dumazz things they did because it ended up backfiring on them.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM
jamiesaun jamiesaun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boise
Age: 34
Posts: 6,761
The awards ceremonies are watched by fewer people every year. They don't have the clout they think they do. Remember the 2016 election? "I'm with her." Nobody gives a crap what Hollywood thinks. Hollywood just hasn't figured that out yet.
__________________
Jamie
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 AM
jamiesaun jamiesaun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boise
Age: 34
Posts: 6,761
And if Rosie is an A lister, then I'm a theoretical physicist. The disgusting pig was so bad, even the view couldn't take her. What does that tell ya?
__________________
Jamie
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Nitro.45 Nitro.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
The awards ceremonies are watched by fewer people every year. They don't have the clout they think they do. Remember the 2016 election? "I'm with her." Nobody gives a crap what Hollywood thinks. Hollywood just hasn't figured that out yet.
They should all get on a helicopter!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Grandpas50AE's Avatar
Grandpas50AE Grandpas50AE is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Waxahachie, Tx.
Age: 69
Posts: 13,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
You may be right, but they still get “air time“. Their nonsense gets distributed by the msm regardless of its logic because they are “celebrities”. The msm is attracted to them like opposite magnetic poles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I agree about the “airtime”, but to a growing degree that airtime is serving to demonstrate what radical idiots they are, even to liberals. The MSM cast of clowns are also slowly self destructing in some individual cases, as evidenced by a total loss of objectivity and biase with the entire impeachment fiasco. There are far fewer athletes and celebrities saying/doing the dumazz things they did because it ended up backfiring on them.
They only get air time because (like hoggy-boy) they are useful idiots.
__________________
Roger - Life GOA, CCRKBA, TSRA, VCDL
NRA Benefactor - Certs -Chief RSO; Instructor - Basic Pistol (D.E.), Rifle, Shotgun, PPIH, PPOH

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:54 AM
Nitro.45 Nitro.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
We need to stop fussing about video games. That's a great way to scare off younger supporters to our cause.

Like others said, if you properly demonstrate the difference between good and evil to your kids, and don't put them on a bunch of medications to substitute for parenting, no amount of exposure to violent media will turn your kid into a monster.

The older gentlemen in this forum got to see violent gunfights in westerns, and get exposed to early action flicks like James Bond. Looney Toons is incredibly violent by cartoon standards. Violence is not a new thing in media, and not the immediate cause of this new breed of killers.
You are right, but there is a difference. It is common for a kid to have his faced shoved in front of a video screen for 8 hours nowadays. As the others have said, the parenting aspect can make a huge difference. Problem is, look at the parents. At any rate, the point was more about the total non effort to do anything about video games. They are just fine because that’s part of “the industry”.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,160
All Hollywood films should be required by law to use nothing but pink plastic water pistols. Imagine John Wick with a water pistol.......
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Kevin Rohrer's Avatar
Kevin Rohrer Kevin Rohrer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medina, Ohio USA
Posts: 2,132
I looked at the names on that list. Recognized five or so, but none of them are big names.

However, all of them have either acted in violent movies or would jump at the chance to do so for the paycheck. Hypocrites all.
__________________
Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, and the American Legion.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:31 PM
FNHipowerluv FNHipowerluv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
All Hollywood films should be required by law to use nothing but pink plastic water pistols. Imagine John Wick with a water pistol.......
He can kill with a pencil, so I don't think he'd be deterred too much.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-02-2020, 05:58 PM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,160
Then they can give him a felt tipped marker. Think of the children....
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:31 AM
Nitro.45 Nitro.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,398
“Think of the children” is especially annoying when Pelosi puts a sentence together. Cackling buzzard......have another......
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-03-2020, 10:43 AM
Arithon Arithon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 763
The hypocrisy continues. They hate guns but make movies all the time with insane amounts of gun violence.

Not that that contributes to the problems we have, but still its galling hypocrisy. Just like how they love to preach about how I need to pollute less, yet just ONE movie they make emits more pollution than I will ever produce in a lifetime.

I've played video games all my life and watched violent movies all my life. But I was given a moral compass and parents that taught me right and wrong, reality vs. fantasy. That is the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-03-2020, 11:08 AM
LW McVay's Avatar
LW McVay LW McVay is offline
Adminstrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 18,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithon View Post
The hypocrisy continues. They hate guns but make movies all the time with insane amounts of gun violence.

Not that that contributes to the problems we have, but still its galling hypocrisy. Just like how they love to preach about how I need to pollute less, yet just ONE movie they make emits more pollution than I will ever produce in a lifetime.

I've played video games all my life and watched violent movies all my life. But I was given a moral compass and parents that taught me right and wrong, reality vs. fantasy. That is the difference.
Oh they don't hate guns. They hate people that don't think like them. And they doubly hate people that don't think like them that have guns.
__________________
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never do less." - Gen. Robert E. Lee
RLTW!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:46 PM
kitchencounsel kitchencounsel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Age: 61
Posts: 320
There are movie studios backing NRA-supported politicians?

I must have missed that memo.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
Peter1911 Peter1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Calif.
Posts: 210
I don’t go to movies. When friends ask, “Have you seen [name of current movie] I tell them I don’t go to movies. They usually ask why not. I tell them it’s my way of protesting the liberal jerks in the movie industry.
My protest is tiny, Hollywood will never notice, but I feel good about doing it.
__________________
Cheers,
Peter

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved