Belt and suspenders - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Belt and suspenders

As we become gentlemen of a certain age, carrying around a full size, steel frame 1911 can become uncomfortable. I decided to try something different, at least when I can wear a jacket or something else that conceals more than just the pistol. Orvis calls these miner's pants, but what I got them for was to use both belt and suspenders as that's what these pants are set up for. Even a good rig, like the El Paso Saddlery one shown, will sag on me as the day wears on. Not so with the addition of the Deluth Trading suspenders. I even tried with my 6 inch Les Baer Premier II which tips the scales at just over three pounds loaded. My experiment worked. Not an everyday solution, but an occasional thing.

Last edited by ope135; 01-05-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM

Suspenders and a belt are a great combo for supporting the weight. Have you tried a steel core belt and suspenders? I found they work best for me.

Last edited by guns90; 01-05-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:28 AM

I use Dickies suspenders with a belt. I was using Perry, but the Dickies seem a little firmer and stronger. I'm like Hank Hill. Belly, not butt. We both suffer from diminished gluteal syndrome.

I had the vintage western style that fit over the steel buttons on my 1890s style pants several years ago. One ride on my motorcycle with the backrest and I ended up layed out with severe back issues. I still have some herniation in my back they didn't get with the surgery years ago. The pressure on the spinal are from the buttons just jacked me bad.

I use the Dickies/Perry types under my shirt when carrying my SIG P220 or GLock 30s IWB every time. Depending on the pants I may also use them carrying the SIG P938.

Not always the most comfortable thing as I find myself reaching under my shirt to adjust them on my shoulders. However, they do make all the difference for carrying something bigger than a total mouse gun.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 12:46 AM

I wear both, have for years. Suspenders hold the pants up. Belt holds the gun in place. That way I do not have to cinch the belt down so tight it gives me sciatica. Typically I wear a loose, unbuttoned coverup shirt over a t-shirt with some sort of non-gun related design on it. I can wear that sort of thing almost year around where I live. Looks perfectly normal.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 AM

I like suspenders as they keep my pants up. Without them my pants tend to slide down around my stomach when walking. I wear them under my shirt. The only problem is I have to undress to use the toilet when nature calls. Really embarrassing when out in public.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:30 AM

If you're going to go that far, why not go with a shoulder holster?
I am breaking in a Bianchi horizontal shoulder holster and really getting to like it!
Old 01-05-2020, 10:36 AM

ope135 that is a very nice looking set up. Pants and leather are all very nice. Might have to look up those pants
Old 01-05-2020, 11:08 AM

I do wear shoulder holsters from time to time. It depends on the season and what I'm wearing. I prefer vertical to horizontal, but I have examples of both.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:19 PM

De Santis makes an upside-down - well, more like a 45 degree down - 1911 shoulder rig that's quite nice. Reaching up and drawing down works well for me, particularly since it can be worn under an untucked shirt without an overgarment.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:23 PM

One of the reasons why more women don’t carry are the lack of belts I think. Suspenders are a great way to go.

I have recently lost a lot of weight....got rid of the “dickie do disease” and now everything is different. Went from 36W to a 30W jeans. The ability to carry has also changed.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Since I have no butt, I use Perry suspenders all the time.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM

24 rounds + a full size 1911? God bless Texas and it's Gentlemen of Certain a Certain Age.

Rock on, Man.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I wear both, have for years. Suspenders hold the pants up. Belt holds the gun in place. That way I do not have to cinch the belt down so tight it gives me sciatica. Typically I wear a loose, unbuttoned coverup shirt over a t-shirt with some sort of non-gun related design on it. I can wear that sort of thing almost year around where I live. Looks perfectly normal.
I have thought about the use of suspenders also, wearing a shirt over to conceal gun and suspenders. My problem would be when using the restroom, having to remove shirts to slide suspenders off shoulders or unhooking them.

Please explain your experience.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrwalsh View Post
I have thought about the use of suspenders also, wearing a shirt over to conceal gun and suspenders. My problem would be when using the restroom, having to remove shirts to slide suspenders off shoulders or unhooking them.

Please explain your experience. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
A little ‘pre planning’ in that regard goes a long way.......but ditching your cover shirt in a stall isn’t that big of a deal.

Last edited by shooter59; 01-05-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 PM

I've been wearing suspenders for years. Got fed up with clips that chewed up material or slipped off. Also gave up on belt clip Perry styles because of them slipping off the belt, often in a bathroom situation and just try reattaching a clip behind your back once...

I've now settled on Suspender Store 2" wide double pin clips. For me they are the best out there. They're comfortable and don't chew up pants, they stay attached and the adjustment clips don't slip and readjust themselves. It's always shirt untucked for me with suspenders over a t-shirt and in summer I use the same style suspender in a flesh colored undergarment model with untucked shirt and no t-shirt.

Works for me!
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM

I just got some suspenders that attach to the belt loops on my jeans. I prefer them to the Perry style. I wear a belt also.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 PM

I use the “Y” type Perry suspenders over a tucked in undershirt with a loose fitting button down or similar overshirt. I also use a steel core gun belt so I have never experienced the clips moving since the belt is so thick. In my opinion this is an optimal set up since the load bearing is on your shoulders, not so much the belt holding things up. If you clip to your pants like some suspenders do, i feel like the weight of your gear is still pulling down on the belt causing sagging and discomfort. The Perry & HD belt is like a military load bearing system 😬 Just my .02
Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 AM

Like several of you, I too wear the Perry type suspenders. Using a thick gun belt, Iíve experienced no problem with the clips coming off the belt. Typically I tuck in my shirt with the suspenders over it and wear a light weight vest as a cover garment. This seems to allow easier access to my firearm than wearing a shirt untucked. Works for me, however your plan for wearing and concealment is probably as good or better. What works for the individual counts.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:20 PM

Suspenders + Belt

While itís a fashion faux pas, itís not if it isnít visible.

Once I started wearing belt and suspenders I found I could wear a lighter belt less cinched. The pants carried better, and the weight on the hip disappeared.

Iím 6í1í, 195, pretty fit, with 36W. I donít like cinching down belts anymore.

I carry a Commander size 1911 with 8 rounds, plus another magazine in a front pants pocket and a third in a jacket pocket.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Belt and suspenders

I also use a belt with suspenders for a second reason. I have severe arthritis in my lower back and any thing tight around my waist really hurts. I found that Duluth traders(SP) carries a belt with polymer hooks to hook to your belt and really helps not only hold the pants up but the belt and add-ons.

Good Luck
Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 AM

I'm another who wears suspenders & a belt. Perry suspenders that clip to the belt. Didn't need them till I got my pot belly.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
I use Dickies suspenders with a belt. I was using Perry, but the Dickies seem a little firmer and stronger. I'm like Hank Hill. Belly, not butt. We both suffer from diminished gluteal syndrome.

I had the vintage western style that fit over the steel buttons on my 1890s style pants several years ago. One ride on my motorcycle with the backrest and I ended up layed out with severe back issues. I still have some herniation in my back they didn't get with the surgery years ago. The pressure on the spinal are from the buttons just jacked me bad.

I use the Dickies/Perry types under my shirt when carrying my SIG P220 or GLock 30s IWB every time. Depending on the pants I may also use them carrying the SIG P938.

Not always the most comfortable thing as I find myself reaching under my shirt to adjust them on my shoulders. However, they do make all the difference for carrying something bigger than a total mouse gun.
LOL!! I really thought I was the only guy who wears his suspenders under his shirt. As another member mentioned, my hips are now invisible and my butt has also migrated around to my belly so keeping my pants on with just a belt is nearly impossible especially when I add the weight of a pistol and spare magazine.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:18 PM

The OP's belt looks insufficient for firearms carry. It's too narrow and looks too thin. A proper gun belt would eliminate the need to also have suspenders.

As someone else mentioned, a shoulder holster would be a good option.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:17 PM

I've used a heavy good quality leather belt (various brands) plus Perry suspenders (several different types) on a daily basis for well over twenty years, with strongside IWB carry of pistols ranging from a full size 1911 down to a subcompact Glock.

While AIWB CCW doesn't require or benefit from any use of suspenders, not everyone's body type permits efficient use of this method of CCW (works best with a slim build), and the traditional behind-the-hip carry can be made workable for just about everyone, whether skinny or fat.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 AM

Get you a decent belt and you won't need those strange (goofy) looking suspenders.
Namely, one of these. I discovered these 5 years before I retired and I continue to use the same belt with my EDC full size 1911 pistol and four spare magazines on my belt, no suspenders needed. When I was working I used this belt in office attire as well as with suits for court, formal meetings with the public and office when bigwigs from HQ showed up, and at funerals.

They're only $60 and I've been wearing mine for the last 9 years. They're made of a B10 coated webbing with tensile strength of 1,500 lbs, that looks and feels like solid rubber. Another belt that is very similar to this belt is the Maxpedition Liger belt. That belt looks very similar, but, costs about $70. I prefer the 5.11 belt because the material looks smoother and more nondescript for wearing with suits or regular clothing.

http://https://www.galls.com/5-11-ta...-belt-1-5-wide

Last edited by INV136; 01-11-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Additional.