You never know how a life might be saved? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 PM

You never know how a life might be saved?

By a well placed 1911, or 1911 A1.

Some may have noticed in the latest edition of the American rifleman. An article about a new book by Adam Makos. Spearhead to be more specific. Well I picked up a copy the other day. It is a page turner to say the least, and hard to put down. I just read about halfway through it tonight. I always had to admire those tankers going out there with those less than perfect Shermans.

At any rate they describe one instance where a certain Cajun boy due to a well placed .45 auto was almost certainly saved from certain death. Only to end up with a bruise in the shape of the gun imprinted in his thigh. .

A great read IMO
Old 11-26-2019, 06:34 AM

Iím sure itís a great read.
Funny how peopleís lives have been saved by a piece of hardware. Reminds me of a flea market that I saw an old Civil War belt buckle with a musket ball wedged in the face. LE badges with the same story. Problem is, I see the same ones on ďPawn StarsĒ and random stores everywhere. Iím sure the Cajunís account is accurate, but beware. Lots of true stories have been ruined by fakes.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
I’m sure it’s a great read.
Funny how people’s lives have been saved by a piece of hardware. Reminds me of a flea market that I saw an old Civil War belt buckle with a musket ball wedged in the face. LE badges with the same story. Problem is, I see the same ones on “Pawn Stars” and random stores everywhere. I’m sure the Cajun’s account is accurate, but beware. Lots of true stories have been ruined by fakes.
That reminds me. Back in the 60s, my parents took us to visit some of the Civil War battlefield in Tennessee one summer. There was always a couple of flea markets, "antique" shops on the highway near the parks, seemingly run by the same old guy, who was always a bit of a "character."

Lots of dug up war relics, Minie balls, horse bits, buttons, inert shells, etc. Usually a couple of very rusted percussion revolvers, some still loaded.

There was always an old belt buckle with a lead round embedded. I thought it was cool as a kid, and it never occurred to trusting little me the old fart was probably making those in the back room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 AM

The turd probably casts the lead balls and corrodes them too!
No tellin what these clowns come up with to part us from our money!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 AM

Note that two different posters happened across sellers of musket-ball buckles.

Was it the same guy with the same buckle PLUS he had not sold it between these two different customer's visit?

Um................. no way. To me this sounds like a very old, and popular, scam indeed.

I imagine that some of you guys have heard the legend of an alleged Civil War event. Supposedly a bullet passed through a soldier's.....uh........... "junk" , collecting sperm, then kept flying until it hit a woman right at hers, thus impregnating her.

Yeah right.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:43 AM

Never heard that one before! I would like to see the proof and an ugly kid ainít gonna get it!
Old 11-28-2019, 09:49 AM

I just looked it up. It was busted by Snopes.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I imagine that some of you guys have heard the legend of an alleged Civil War event. Supposedly a bullet passed through a soldier's.....uh........... "junk" , collecting sperm, then kept flying until it hit a woman right at hers, thus impregnating her.

Yeah right.
Is that what they mean by hot sex?

There is a museum somewhere that has a Union musket on display where a Confederate bullet actually managed to enter the muzzle just as the Union soldier pulled the trigger, causing the barrel to burst. It sounds like another one for Snopes, but it was considered authentic enough to be displayed in a museum, and you figure with all the thousands of soldiers in formation blasting away at each other the odds of it happening were more than fair.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 AM

I do not know if it is still on display.

But many years ago when visiting the battle museum at Gettysburg in PA. They had two cannonballs on display that had apparently collided head on. I remember being fairly impressed by this.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
But many years ago when visiting the battle museum at Gettysburg in PA. They had two cannonballs on display that had apparently collided head on. I remember being fairly impressed by this.
That happens to me if I don't wear a jock while running.

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Is that what they mean by hot sex?

There is a museum somewhere that has a Union musket on display where a Confederate bullet actually managed to enter the muzzle just as the Union soldier pulled the trigger, causing the barrel to burst. It sounds like another one for Snopes, but it was considered authentic enough to be displayed in a museum, and you figure with all the thousands of soldiers in formation blasting away at each other the odds of it happening were more than fair.
More likely than receiving a bullet through your scope! Thatís an odd tale as well!
Old 11-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
That happens to me if I don't wear a jock while running.
Or (more apt), a Minie bullet surrounded by two .36 caliber round balls?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
More likely than receiving a bullet through your scope! Thatís an odd tale as well!
I assume you're talking about Carlos Hathcock. A lot of people have tried to prove or disprove whether he actually pulled that off or not with little success either way. Personally I look at it as a late 20th Century version of a Wild West tale. The legend is always more interesting than the actual evidence so I'd rather believe the legend. But then again I also believe most of the recently-discovered pictures of Billy the Kid are authentic even though nobody can prove it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Saved by a Zippo

Back in the middle to late 60ís, when I was a young police officer, our jail served as a county holding facility until the paddy wagon could pick up prisoners. Consequently we had multiple agencies booking prisoners. One was the local constables office. An old deputy, who I only knew by his nickname, Blinkie, showed me a cigarette lighter with a bullet dent in it. He had it in his pants pocket when someone shot at him. He said it bruised him badly but saved his bacon. His story was confirmed by several sources. The lighter was one of his prized possessions.

On another note, he carried an old Colt Single Action 38-40 as a duty weapon. I tried hard to buy it off of him with no success. Ah, the good ole days of being a cop! God bless
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I assume you're talking about Carlos Hathcock. A lot of people have tried to prove or disprove whether he actually pulled that off or not with little success either way. Personally I look at it as a late 20th Century version of a Wild West tale. The legend is always more interesting than the actual evidence so I'd rather believe the legend. But then again I also believe most of the recently-discovered pictures of Billy the Kid are authentic even though nobody can prove it.
That was it. It is funny that so many have tried to replicate it, but they could never get the projectile to make a clean run through the tube. Lots of folks can shoot through a toilet paper tube at 100 yards. The exact angle necessary and the fact that there is a bunch of glass in the way doesnít make it likely.
I too would rather just believe the Wild West tales. Thereís all kinds of crazy true events that we donít even know about, so we might as well some of them!
Old 11-30-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
Back in the middle to late 60ís, when I was a young police officer, our jail served as a county holding facility until the paddy wagon could pick up prisoners. Consequently we had multiple agencies booking prisoners. One was the local constables office. An old deputy, who I only knew by his nickname, Blinkie, showed me a cigarette lighter with a bullet dent in it. He had it in his pants pocket when someone shot at him. He said it bruised him badly but saved his bacon. His story was confirmed by several sources. The lighter was one of his prized possessions.

On another note, he carried an old Colt Single Action 38-40 as a duty weapon. I tried hard to buy it off of him with no success. Ah, the good ole days of being a cop! God bless
Nice story.....complete with witnesses!
The lighter would be a cool thing!