Don Williams Custom Colt 70 Repro - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Don Williams Custom Colt 70 Repro

Well the Colt has been dropped off by Fed Ex. As expected it exceeds my expectations in terms of fit and finish. Don and I worked for almost 8 months refining this build. Lots of refinements from the original built spec. Added a few things and removed a few things. I ended up going for DLC Ion Bond over blue because this gun will be for shooting not just for looking at. I have not been able to shoot it yet. I am trying to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow and will post a follow up range report. At this point the gun is super smooth and the trigger breaks a hair over 3lbs 8ozs.

The gun is beautiful. It is the an example of a true craftsman's work. It is exactly what I wanted. It is a blend of classic 1911 features and modern refinements. For me the highlights are the Stan Chen Gen 2 magwell and the Ghost Arrow pattern on the top of the slide. The Stan Chen magwell is thing of beauty. It adds no length or width to pistol. The funnel is huge but is truly not wider than the Spegel grips. The frame was machined so it isn't longer than a standard 1911 frame. https://store.chencustom.com/product_p/gen2.htm The Ghost Arrow pattern is a Don Williams personal touch. It is hard to capture its elegance in a picture. It has a movement to it as your eye goes down the slide to the sight.

Link to Don Williams website. I recommend considering him for your 1911 custom work.
http://www.theactionworks.com

This is the the final build spec IIRC.
Deluxe Trigger Job with Harrison hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger
Smooth out and Dehorn
Bevel Magwell Machine cut @ 15
Stan Chen Gen 2 Magwell checkered @ 30 LPI
True, High Cut & Checker Front Strap @ 30 LPI
Machine French Cuts on Slide
Machine Ball Cuts on Slide
Flattern & Serrate Slide Top in Ghost Arrow Pattern
Furnish & Install EGW Slide Stop
Furnish & Install Harrison Exterme Service Beavertail Grip Safety
Furnish & Install Action Works Custom sights with U notch and Gold dot front sight
EGW HD Low lever Thumb Safety
Furnish, Fit and install Match Bushing
Spegel Grips
Ionbond DLC with polished flats

Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 AM

That looks just fantastic. Very tastefully done.

I hope you're going to shoot it a lot.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robinson View Post
That looks just fantastic. Very tastefully done.

I hope you're going to shoot it a lot.
It will be a working gun. Will be shot and carried. It was not built to be a safe queen.
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM

To me, that is the perfect Gov't model. Very tastefully done and the workmanship is perfection. Congrats!
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Man that's a clean gun.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:01 PM

Very nice looking pistol. Bet you will enjoy it a lot.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:12 PM

Very very nice, congrats & enjoy.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:21 PM

Just curious, how is the slide to frame fit (My year old Wiley Clapp is a rattle trap)? Did he do anything for it?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Well I made it to the range today. The gun is excellent as I expected it would be. It is more accurate than I ever will be. Don and I talked a lot about replacing the Colt barrel with a KKM or Kart barrel but Don said he would take a look at it and that fitting a match barrel with the existing Colt barrel would yield the desired result. He was right. It is advice like this that makes working with Don and great experience. The magwell is amazing. It makes sloppy me look smooth. It simply eats up the mag. It really guides the mag into the gun even when you have a less than perfect reload angle.

I shot the gun at 10, 15 and 25 yards on steel. I was able to hit the center mass of a steel target at 25 yards with ease when I did my part. I also shot some paper as well. It grouped as it should. I certainly was the weak link in the chain. I ended the day with this 7 round group at 15 yards. It was not exactly slow fire but it wasn't setting any speed records. I am not sure what happen on the that one that went high. All my shots were off hand. Nothing off a rest. I put about 200 rounds through it. I was really just trying to get a feel for the gun. I think this one is a keeper.

Last edited by rellascout; 11-22-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1911 View Post
Just curious, how is the slide to frame fit (My year old Wiley Clapp is a rattle trap)? Did he do anything for it?
The slide to frame fit was decent to start. It is not bank vault Les Baer tight but tight enough. I am firmly in the camp that the slide to frame fits effects on accuracy are over stated. IIRC Kuhnhausen put the percentage at 10%. For my money the barrel bushing and lock up are a more import. Plus I am not a good enough shooter to get maximum accuracy from any pistol. Pretty much every gun in the safe is mechanically more accurate than I am.

All that said my particular gun is pretty tight and I did not ask Don to tighten it up. I know he offers that service but I treated it like the barrel. I trusted Don to look at it and tell me if it "needed" to be welded up and tightened. He did not bring it up so I assumed he thought it was good to go.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Sweet!!!
Old 11-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Beautiful just beautiful.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Everything you need and nothing that you don't......
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Beautiful, congratulations & thanks for sharing.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Really, Really Nice!
Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 AM

Lovin’ this one! Congratulations on a true keeper!!
Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 AM

I loved all your Hi-Powers, and I'm guessing your 1911s are all fantastic too. This gun in this post would be my submission for total 1911 perfection!
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 AM

Well I was thinking it was the late Don Williams country artists 1911. Nice pistol.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 AM

That's BEAUTIFUL!

I bought a S70 repo years ago with the intent to send it out and built into something very similar to that but I've never been able to justify the cost

Enjoy it sir!
Old 11-25-2019, 05:13 AM

I am guessing that is the short Harrison trigger? How do you like the non serrated face? I have been thinking of using this in my Kimber.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:30 PM

Absolutely stunning. Don does top-shelf work. Good luck with it.

Jimmy Ward
Old 11-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Congratulations!

That is an awesome Colt and I know you'll always be glad you have it. I sent Don my Colt Mark IV Series 70 about 20 years ago and it is still my favorite gun to shoot.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:35 AM

She’s a beauty.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Exceptionally nice execution-your conceptualization and collaboration set the stage for the result. One very minor non-operational aesthetic detail you might want to consider; replacing the OEM length recoil spring plug with a suitable long-nosed one so that the front is flush with the end of the bushing flange-EGW has 'em, as does Wilson Combat. That'll provide you with a seamless marriage between the plug nose and the flange on what looks to be an EGW extended/thickened bushing.

Best, Jon

Last edited by JonCombatCdr; 11-28-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:04 PM

The gun is exceptional. I don't know Don myself, but everything I've heard about him has been complimentary.