Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Protector with RMR discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currybob View Post
I have a WC Protector 45 and a WC Sentinel 9mm, I also have a EDC X9 on order for a bit now, hoping to receive next month. It will be a little different than most for it will be stainless top and silver body. I have a thing for stainless I guess.
Currybob

How do you like the WC red dot mount??
Old 11-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiedermann View Post
Currybob

How do you like the WC red dot mount??
It is all I hoped it would be and waaaay more! Put several hundred rounds through it first time out. Did not take many rounds to get it zeroed in and it was still zeroed 300 or so rounds later and that was with a 45.

I'm getting older now and it has made it so much easier to hit the bulls eye now. I have good vision still just harder to focus as well up close.

The Trijicon RMR is the only way to go for that thing is near indestructible. I did a lot of research and all of reviews rated the RMR the number one choice. It is pricy but you diffidently get what you pay for with this baby.

Can't wait for my new Wilson X9 to arrive with it mounted to that one also.
Bob Curry-- Roll Tide-WC Stainless Protector with Trijicon RMR type2; WC Stainless Sentinel 9mm; WC Stainless EDC X9 with Trijicon RMR type2; WC EDC X9S with RMR. Ruger Mark IV 22 cal Hunter; Bond Arms Derringer 45 cal; Berretta P4 Storm 40 cal. A couple others.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It is all I hoped it would be and waaaay more! Put several hundred rounds through it first time out. Did not take many rounds to get it zeroed in and it was still zeroed 300 or so rounds later and that was with a 45.

I'm getting older now and it has made it so much easier to hit the bulls eye now. I have good vision still just harder to focus as well up close.

The Trijicon RMR is the only way to go for that thing is near indestructible. I did a lot of research and all of reviews rated the RMR the number one choice. It is pricy but you diffidently get what you pay for with this baby.

Is the battery on the RMR easily replaceable without removing the RMR from the gun? I am ready to do this with an EDC X9, just have to decide on which one. I have a DeltaPoint Pro on a Sig, so probably not that one, not because I donít like it, but prefer to try something different.
NRA Patriot Life Endowment - 11/21/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab4Us View Post
Is the battery on the RMR easily replaceable without removing the RMR from the gun? I am ready to do this with an EDC X9, just have to decide on which one. I have a DeltaPoint Pro on a Sig, so probably not that one, not because I donít like it, but prefer to try something different.
You tube has some excellent review on the Trijicon RMR, all rank it the best. To replace the battery is easy but is mounted underneath the unite so you will have to re-zero it after replacement. It however has a 4 year battery life. The new Trijicon RSO has top battery replacement but not recommended for duty use. One drop test on a review and it broke the optics, decided that one was not for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzjgOq60vFE

This guy had the best testing done on it I have ever seen. Beat the living crap out of it and it still kept working and kept zero. Worth watching. He has a second review done a year later after he had put something over 20,000 rounds testing it, beating and dropping it the whole time, was impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRK-zj6eXKw&t=512s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6qCSQH4mwg&t=33s

Good luck with your search!
Bob Curry-- Roll Tide-WC Stainless Protector with Trijicon RMR type2; WC Stainless Sentinel 9mm; WC Stainless EDC X9 with Trijicon RMR type2; WC EDC X9S with RMR. Ruger Mark IV 22 cal Hunter; Bond Arms Derringer 45 cal; Berretta P4 Storm 40 cal. A couple others.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

I went to RMRs on my S&W M&Ps as well. I got my first one several years ago, but in the last two years have really focused on mastering the RMR and won't go back for all the same reasons you noted...

I agree with you on the RMR versus other RDSs -- I've got three RMRs and had absolutely no problem with any of them... It has truly made me a better shooter with an RMR and irons as well...

I have a WC Tactical Carry Pro I'm thinking about having WC mill for their mount for an RMR.

Appreciate your thoughts!!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Lab4Us -- as mentioned by others, you do have to remove the RMR to replace the batteries. But I'll say after doing it a few times for my RMR-equiped pistols, there was virtually no change in zero when I checked my zero after changing the battery. So I'd definitely not let that get in the way of choosing an RMR versus other RDSs that allow changing the battery from the top.

I definitely think the ruggedness of the RMR is worth the chance of a minor zero shift after changing batteries.

I'm not bad-mouthing any other RDSs, I will say I've seen Sig RDSs fail in one match and one class -- and not from batteries -- they failed and had to be returned to the factory. I was told Sig's customer service is excellent and they had a replacement in a few days no questions asked.

I've heard excellent things about the Holosun 507C and 508T. I haven't tried them, but I do trust Sage Dynamics and others who give them high marks. Check out the reviews... Sage Dynamics also has some other excellent videos on RDS subjects...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOyq90oa-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK0O6eI5rZU

I'm sticking with my RMRs for now.

GOOD LUCK! The only danger is once you shoot with an RDS-equiped pistol -- you won't want to go back to irons!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

I have one more input about the RMR even though we are off topic.

I have watched several video's about how to use these red dots and about keeping both eyes open and such and I have never shot better. Like anything, you using it enough to learn it, it becomes second nature or muscle memory. This was my first range shooting after zeroing the RMR at 20 yards with cheap ammo. While I'm no master shooter this is the best I have ever done with a hand gun un-supported. Heck, I have a hard time seeing the bulls-eye very well at that distance.

If good enough for the military then good enough for me.

rbiedermann
I did not like the fact the Holosun 507C lens broke on first drop test. The 508 did much better but still was showing some lens de-laminating caused.
Attached Thumbnails
20191010_133033.jpg  

Last edited by Currybob; 11-05-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I have one more input about the RMR even though we are off topic...
Well, as long as we are going somewhat off topic, might I ask which model RMR you have (dot size)?
My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm seeing a RMR in my future.
Thanks
but become round nose after I color with them.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this discussion here from the picture thread.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:42 AM

I just received my WC back from having a rmr true zero plate installed on my X-TAC Elite and I canít be happier. The rmr is the only red dot I suggest for ccw. I also have the Holosun 507 on my CZ Shadow 2 which I really like to, and itís the same foot print as the rmr. Holosun is coming out with a 509t looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
92B7C52D-FE61-4500-AC78-5B2E799F296D.jpeg  
Old 11-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmax View Post
Well, as long as we are going somewhat off topic, might I ask which model RMR you have (dot size)?
My eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm seeing a RMR in my future.
Thanks
RMO6 with the 3.25

Also I have to say the RMR has helped me to work on my grip also. You can see real time the differences and steadiness and how improving you grip steadies the weapon. If the red dot is dancing around then your not doing something right.

Last edited by Currybob; 11-06-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
RMO6 with the 3.25

Also I have to say the RMR has helped me to work on my grip also. You can see real time the differences and steadiness and how improving you grip steadies the weapon. If the red dot is dancing around then your not doing something right.
So thatís my problem, my dot looks like itís doing the Cha-cha
Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiedermann View Post
Quote:
Is the battery on the RMR easily replaceable without removing the RMR from the gun? I am ready to do this with an EDC X9, just have to decide on which one. I have a DeltaPoint Pro on a Sig, so probably not that one, not because I don’t like it, but prefer to try something different.
Lab4Us -- as mentioned by others, you do have to remove the RMR to replace the batteries. But I'll say after doing it a few times for my RMR-equiped pistols, there was virtually no change in zero when I checked my zero after changing the battery. So I'd definitely not let that get in the way of choosing an RMR versus other RDSs that allow changing the battery from the top.

I definitely think the ruggedness of the RMR is worth the chance of a minor zero shift after changing batteries.

I'm not bad-mouthing any other RDSs, I will say I've seen Sig RDSs fail in one match and one class -- and not from batteries -- they failed and had to be returned to the factory. I was told Sig's customer service is excellent and they had a replacement in a few days no questions asked.

I've heard excellent things about the Holosun 507C and 508T. I haven't tried them, but I do trust Sage Dynamics and others who give them high marks. Check out the reviews... Sage Dynamics also has some other excellent videos on RDS subjects...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuOyq90oa-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK0O6eI5rZU

I'm sticking with my RMRs for now.

GOOD LUCK! The only danger is once you shoot with an RDS-equiped pistol -- you won't want to go back to irons!
This, I remove and replace yearly and they barely changed POI (like literally 1/4 inch at 15 yards) and are super super easy to sight in.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat C View Post
I just received my WC back from having a rmr true zero plate installed on my X-TAC Elite and I canít be happier. The rmr is the only red dot I suggest for ccw. I also have the Holosun 507 on my CZ Shadow 2 which I really like to, and itís the same foot print as the rmr. Holosun is coming out with a 509t looks good.
That is beautiful sir. I've got an WC compact and have been debating on the same RMR setup.

How do you like it?
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So thatís my problem, my dot looks like itís doing the Cha-cha
LOL, yep, means you've got to work on your grip position a bit. You tube has some very good experts showing the best way to hit all the proper mechanics to help your accuracy. I watched several while holding my pistol and would sight in something and cold see how much more steady the dot was. Went to the range and applied it with success.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobconroy75 View Post
That is beautiful sir. I've got an WC compact and have been debating on the same RMR setup.

How do you like it?
Iím loving it, itís making me a better shooter
Old 11-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
LOL, yep, means you've got to work on your grip position a bit. You tube has some very good experts showing the best way to hit all the proper mechanics to help your accuracy. I watched several while holding my pistol and would sight in something and cold see how much more steady the dot was. Went to the range and applied it with success.
Thanks care to share if you have a particular video to watch? Iíve watched many YouTube videos on recoil management and grip hasnít helped.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 PM

If you have a gun with some way to mount a laser it's a great training aid. My usual practice is a dime at 15 yards and I have to hold the laser on it for 5 min without leaving the coin.

Builds stability very quickly, ideally you will get to the point of being able to one hand the gun and fire without the dot moving at all. It also shows when a gun simply doesn't have a break that allows a movement less shot, the Glock, 320, XD and some others no matter how well you pull the trigger there will be some movement of a dot. Some of them (320) have so much movement from the slide to frame when you go to pull the trigger the slide tilts downward and the dot dives slightly. You can easily see this by slowly staging up on the trigger after taking aim without touching it on a fixed item in a room. When you do go to fire and start that process the dot will dive 3-9 inches at about 15 yards, makes it near impossible to zero for extremely accurate slow fire and rapid fire dead centering on them and I hate it.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 11-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks care to share if you have a particular video to watch? I’ve watched many YouTube videos on recoil management and grip hasn’t helped.
It's not really a grip issue, it's muscle tremor and memory. Slap a laser on any handgun and you will improve rapidly if you practice just holding it in something with no movement
Old 11-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks care to share if you have a particular video to watch? Iíve watched many YouTube videos on recoil management and grip hasnít helped.
I like this guy, he reviews a lot of stuff but has some good technique videos also.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I like this guy, he reviews a lot of stuff but has some good technique videos also.
Iím sorry but I donít see who you are referring to
Old 11-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Iím sorry but I donít see who you are referring to
Well crap, guess it would help to actually post the link huh. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SageDynamics/videos
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Well crap, guess it would help to actually post the link huh. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SageDynamics/videos
Thanks I watch a lot of his videos I love his red dot reviews.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
If you have a gun with some way to mount a laser it's a great training aid. My usual practice is a dime at 15 yards and I have to hold the laser on it for 5 min without leaving the coin.

Builds stability very quickly, ideally you will get to the point of being able to one hand the gun and fire without the dot moving at all. It also shows when a gun simply doesn't have a break that allows a movement less shot, the Glock, 320, XD and some others no matter how well you pull the trigger there will be some movement of a dot. Some of them (320) have so much movement from the slide to frame when you go to pull the trigger the slide tilts downward and the dot dives slightly. You can easily see this by slowly staging up on the trigger after taking aim without touching it on a fixed item in a room. When you do go to fire and start that process the dot will dive 3-9 inches at about 15 yards, makes it near impossible to zero for extremely accurate slow fire and rapid fire dead centering on them and I hate it.
Unfortunately I donít have any guns with lasers
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM

The TLR8 has a laser build into the light. it works great.