Stripping round when releasing mag - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Stripping round when releasing mag

I am the happy owner of a DVC-L. I use it mainly to shoot in Steel Challenge and its a great gun.

I have run into a problem though. Since I only put 10 rounds in the magazine, I change them after every string. When I drop the mag, a round falls out. With 39 strings per match, itís a pain.

STI said to polish the Disconnector rail which Iíve done diligently. No improvement. They now want me to send it back under warranty and theyíll take a look at it, but that will take at least 5 weeks plus.

So Iíve come up with a Ďfixí which is to bend the top of the magazine tighter than spec, so it has a solid grip on the top round. This works. So iíll do it to all 6 magazines.

But it seems kinda Mickey Mouse.

But it works.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.

BCC
Old 10-27-2019, 04:36 AM

Iím a big fan of STIís warranty department. If it were me Iíd just send it in and shoot your backup or another gun in the meantime.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:04 AM

Mine does the same thing, most of the time, but runs 100% when shooting.....which is all I really care about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
Mine does the same thing, most of the time, but runs 100% when shooting.....which is all I really care about.
Yep, if it was a range gun or house gun, I wouldnít care. In fact, I didnít notice it doing it at first, because at the range I only load and fire 5 rounds at a time.

But during a weekly steel challenge, Iím shooting 39 strings, which means 39 dropped rounds when I change mags. My back doesnít doesnít like bending that much if I pick them up, itís a distraction and Iím loathe to waste that much ammo every time.

Anyway, sorry you have the same issue.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Iím a big fan of STIís warranty department. If it were me Iíd just send it in and shoot your backup or another gun in the meantime.
Good to know. I might end up doing that.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:43 PM

I am just throwing rocks because I dont know either....

but single stack 1911 9mm mags do the same thing.

Beretta 92 mags... no.

When I carried SW 3rd Gen 9mm single or double stack... no.

CZ 9mm mags.... no.

It has to be something with 1911 grip angle, 9mm tapered case and magazine feed lip design/angle or all the above.

tagged for interest as looks like I am heading in a Staccato P direction in the near future.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:33 PM

Perhaps you should mention it in the Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting section, are some smart people there. As for me I've seen this on guns before but don't know if I fixed it or it just went away, my three Limited/-L's don't do it or neither do any of my STI's. Since you said -L I'll guess you have Gen2 mags and since you said tighter than spec I'll guess you know what that is.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Just to be clear.....

Does the last round loaded in a ten round mag fall out of the gun when you drop the mag...?

If that is the case, the last round rests on the mag follower, not on top of another round, so the type and shape of the follower and how high the follower moves up to the top of the mag may make a difference on how firmly the last round is held in the mag......
Old 10-28-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
Does the last round loaded in a ten round mag fall out of the gun when you drop the mag...?

If that is the case, the last round rests on the mag follower, not on top of another round, so the type and shape of the follower and how high the follower moves up to the top of the mag may make a difference on how firmly the last round is held in the mag......
Thanks for the suggestion, but no, itís rarely (if ever) the last round in the mag, when I drop the magazine and a round falls out of the gun (with one in the chamber). There are usually 3 - 5 rounds left in the mag.

In steel challenge, there are 5 targets per string and really, I should never need more than say, seven rounds, maybe eight. I put ten in as insurance, in case Iím being particularity inaccurate....as well as slow.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 PM

All of my 9mm 1911s and 2011s do this. It's a tad annoying, but I've become so used to it that it doesn't bother me.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:21 PM

Common in single stacks but brand dependent, Tripp strips more.
Common in other types, SIG P226 that I have.

If bending the lips helps, bend them. Just another example of "tuning" them to work better than the factory bothers to.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 AM

All 10 of my mags did this, I also just squeezed the lips together in the vise, 1000's of rounds later they still work perfectly.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:16 PM

If you send it back, the factory is likely to either do nothing and tell you it's normal, or do the exact same thing you just did. If it works now, shoot it and drive on.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:28 AM

My CM did the same thing out of the box.

No 1911 Iíve ever owned (so many I donít know how many) has exhibited this issue.

I too used some plastic pliers to slightly squeeze in the front on the mags...so far so good.

This would be unacceptable on a Carry Gun ie ďtac mag reloadĒ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk