1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ente Leader View Post
Yuppers. We would seal the primer an bullet for bang sticks when diving, but ya gotta watch goin' deeper tha 200 feet.
Ha, bang stick, I still have one!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toughdog View Post
Ha, bang stick, I still have one!
Yep, and I never have my booger hook resting on my bang switch till I'm ready to pop.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Since my first box of W'by ammo in 1962, they have lacquered their primers. In the early days it was red in color. Now it is green in color.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:31 PM

Milspec ammo has more than just primer sealant.
It also has asphalt in the case mouth to seal around the bullet.
That is the black band in the case mouth of 45 acp hardball ammo. Use a tablespoon of mineral spirits in your tumbler to remove it.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 AM

Don't seal my handloads , but that's why I have plenty of GI ammo stashed away in GI ammo cans in preparation for Armegeddon.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM

No but the hsts,ranger ts, tapt2, mk262 and mk318 and m193 are already sealed.
CCDL Member
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVito1911 View Post
No but the hsts,ranger ts, tapt2, mk262 and mk318 and m193 are already sealed.
Most top shelf commercial ammo is too.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC 0802 View Post
I store my ammo in military cans, so yes I suppose I do.

Makes it easy to stack too. Like lots of it
That's exactly how I store mine. They get damn heavy with each (4) containing 900 rounds of .45 ACP

Russ
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew1911 View Post
I do not seal my hand loads. My wife has a habit of leaving ammo in her pocket and washing the pants. To my surprise they fired, no problem. I would not use them for carry ammo even if they were sealed. This has happened three times with at least 12 rounds per time.
My wife does the same thing. Usually we find out about the ammo as we are sitting on the couch watching tv and we hear the distictive *tink *tink noise from the dryer. She heads down, finds the stray round and puts it in the ammo can on top of the dryer. Come to think of it, that ammo can is getting pretty full.

I will certainly use all of those rounds, but like you, would not trust my life with them.

μολὼν λαβέ
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM

Might sound silly, but we had borrowed a canning machine set up for #10 cans. We were canning beans, grain, etc for long term storage.

On a whim, I filled a couple of cans to the brim with .22 Long Rifle rounds, added a moisture desiccant, and sealed 'em up. Not real sure what I was hoping to accomplish, but it was fun, and I know for a fact that those rounds won't suffer from moisture degradation.

It isn't a primer sealant, but hey, it wasn't too terribly far off topic. 8~)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 AM

From personal experience, I had some 41 Magnum reloads that sat in the water for a week. Those loaded with a cast bullet, sized and lubed, all fired. Those loaded with a JHP failed to fire. None of them had the primers sealed. But, that was a fairly small sample, probably about 18 rounds total.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM

I don't see packaging tape being a good seal on plastic ammo boxes. A good silicone tape maybe.

I had some Blazer .40 aluminum ammo fail to fire after spending a few days loose in a wet plastic bag after getting caught in a downpour.

I don't use sealant on much, but I do have a couple boxes of .45 and .357 handloaded ammo that is sealed for a rainy day.

Why not use a proven lacquer base product like Markron?

Sure GI ammo boxes are great, but what about the ammo when you take it out of the box? If you're humping around the jungle with your pistol on your hip and a spare mag on your belt (OK, maybe not too likely), what protects your ammo there?

There's a reason military ammo and quality SD ammo is waterproofed.

Last edited by Jackhammer; 07-27-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM

I use the heck out of vaccuum sealers. Going on a float or hunting trip, put a pair of dry sock and underwear in and vacuum them shut. You will have guarantee dry undies when you want them. I have even put things like crappie jigs in them when pouring up large amounts. Sometimes a little moisture will get into a loose box and ruin them with rust, vaccuum them shut and no problems. Matches, fire starters etc. all do well in vaccuum packs as long as there are no sharp points to puncture the bag.