Bishop's Storehouse - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 PM

Bishop's Storehouse

Anyone get supplies from the Bishop's Storehouse?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Yes.
They used to sell cans and loan out canning machines so you could dry can your own dry goods.
Now they do not have canning machines any more.
You can buy canned hard white wheat, hard red wheat, white rice, pinto beans, quick oats, dried apples slices, dried carrots, sugar, spaghetti noodles, macaroni noodles, dried onions.
Their prices are significantly lower than most sellers.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM

being LDS myself, I have used the Bishop's Storehouse for many years. About twice a year, my congregation gets the equipment to do the canning. The products are always top-notch, and the cans hold up well. As of last year, we still have the equipment...but I haven't heard anything this year--yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM

Almost all of them in the continental US are converted now to pre-packaged food storage items. Too many health district regulations regarding the canning equipment and process. Top notch products, and I can't find better powdered milk anywhere. Previously, you bought the food in bulk and paid for the canning stuff and put it together. For example, a 25 lb. bag of oats was about $9.00. After paying for the cans, lids, oxygen eating tablets, plastic lids and boxes, the out-the-door price was about $23.00 for 25 lbs. Now you just go in and buy the canned oats for about $.92/lb. Same price, unless you wanted the oats in bulk for $.36/lb.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Tnx guys.
I'm going to get some supplies from them.
What do you do about potable water?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM

I bought a couple of food grade IBC totes. They hold 275 gallons each and are pretty convenient. They fill from the top and have a hose bib at the bottom, and they are stackable. Put them right where you want them before you fill them. They are over a ton full and don't move without a forklift.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 PM

A 15 gallon barrel of water can be picked up if you are big and strong. It can also be moved with some dollies.
A 55 gallon barrel will break almost any dolly. It must be filled in place.
Maybe a mix of 15 and 55 gallon barrels and a bunch of 5 gallon or smaller containers.
Don't forget filters and water treating chemicals.