1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Advice on Kerosene (or other) Emergency Heaters

Hi all,

I would like some advice on an emergency heater for my home. I don't live in a winter storm prone area but once in a while we have power outages from ice storms. Right now all I have is a Coleman Black Cat propane heater I use for camping.

Thanks for experienced suggestions.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:28 PM

You will be hard pressed to find a better way to keep warm than one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-...3#.UqTyLvS1x8E

In a pinch you can rest a skillet on top and cook as well. Everyone should own one or two.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Just be sure to have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector in the area!

We do have ice related power outages occasionally, and have two propane fired open flame gas fireplaces in the house(battery powered thermostats). Kind of a toss up, as to which we use for primary heat, them, or "earth coupled" heat pump.
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM

This might make for a good read on Kerosene and Low Odor Mineral Spirits.

http://advancedsurvivalguide.com/201...e-fuel-primer/

It's the condensed version of this from an interesting looking site:

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_primer.html

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM

I'd suggest a Mr. Buddy heater IF you can get and store propane. You can refill the 1lb bottles from the laeger BBQ bottles. They are approved for indoor use. If you need it for lighting I'd use olive oil lamps much safer than white fuels.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:01 PM

To Russ,
Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Kerosene heater

To Russ, I agree; I have one in my workshop and use it frequently. It moves the temperature from 50 F to 65 F in about an hour and holds it there on the low heat setting. I only use K-1 kerosene (you can find local suppliers via a web search) and I agree with always using a battery-operated CO detector.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 PM

Just keep in mind.

People die all of the time. When they use those things in improperly ventilated spaces.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
You will be hard pressed to find a better way to keep warm than one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-...3#.UqTyLvS1x8E

In a pinch you can rest a skillet on top and cook as well. Everyone should own one or two.
These things are awesome! I heat my home primarily with a wood stove, but I use one of these to jumpstart the heat until the wood stove catches up after dying down through the night. Or if I have some work to do in the garage I just tote it out there to take the edge off. Here in CT, it can hold in the 20s and 30s for weeks, add in the wind and it gets bitterly cold. A note though, I always light it and let it "settle" before I bring it in the house, all the smoke and smell comes from when you first fire them up.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:49 AM

In the past couple of years I have learned about Rocket Stoves and rocket mass heaters. Google will put you on them. No need of petroleum products or any store bought stuff that may not be available under disaster conditions.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Make sure to get a carbon monoxide detector. I have one in my garage for when running my kerosene heater. It has never gone off using it but better safe than srry, plus they are pretty cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Bat...-LP/100311681#

That's what I use.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 PM

I have a Kerosene heater and several lanterns, for the life of me I can not keep the heater I have from making a terrible kerosene smell. It doesn't seem to do much good leaving it outside for 15 minutes after you light it, it still stinks. The heater is a Kero-sun Moonlighter, and I use kerosene I purchased at a hardware store. The metal lantern I have is one I purchased from Kirkman's and is the Dietz stype, it also smells of kerosene when left in a confined space.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 01-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Here is a portable heater that is super easy to use and eliminates having mess with kerosene. Suitable for many temporary heat applications.

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM

I don't think you can beat a wood stove, but the Rocket stove stuff is looking interesting.

A wood stove if done right will last all night and into the next morning without much effort. Of course this assumes you have a good one. I used a wood stove in the last house I lived in and it was awesome, It cost me less than $400.00 a year to keep my house at 80 for the winter. I kept the stove when I moved out and turned it into a rental.

The house I currently rent has a wood stove insert in the basement and it is not half the stove my free standing one is, I don't think it has as much to do with the fact that its an insert as much as its the quality of the insert.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM

If you have a fireplace,the gas logs wowk quite well.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 AM

Do a google search on hydrogen peroxide heaters. Interesting stuff and emissions are much safer.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I have a Kerosene heater and several lanterns, for the life of me I can not keep the heater I have from making a terrible kerosene smell. It doesn't seem to do much good leaving it outside for 15 minutes after you light it, it still stinks. The heater is a Kero-sun Moonlighter, and I use kerosene I purchased at a hardware store. The metal lantern I have is one I purchased from Kirkman's and is the Dietz stype, it also smells of kerosene when left in a confined space.
Find a cleaner fuel. It can be expensive but makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

I have one of these:

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Orsc...its=12&offset=

It works good. I use it for heating in the warehouse section of my old business for when I'm working on something and need some heat.

I've also used it for heating my home during ice storms.

Simple, easy to use, no smell.

Burns Propane, and can be hooked to any grill, rv, or 100lb bottle.

Has a "tip over" lock out that works VERY well.

As noted, any time you're burning something like this, keep a battery operated CO/Smoke alarm in the vicinity.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post

You may need a new wick for that heater, I use kerosene in a tent when deer hunting and it is clean.
As for those lanterns, you should be using lamp oil. Kerosene in a lamp will leave you with a lot of soot and not enough light. I have used it in an outdoor lantern and would not use it indoors. Citronilla oil also is good for lanterns, burns clean but does smell.