Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM

Sodis
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Adminstrator

Berkey
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 AM

The simplest method for purifying water is boiling it. Next would be bleach and UV (ultraviolet) purification. UV purification is practiced all over the planet. Basically you get the water as clear as you can (often passing it through a shirt or sock although a coffee filter would work nicely), put it in a clear container (often a 1-2 liter soda bottle) and leave it in direct sun light for 8-10 hours. Of course bleach works faster. Activated charcoal (easy to make out of any wood) does a great job as well and is the primary material in water filters (activated charcoal/carbon actually eliminates most odors and tastes from water). And the list of methods goes on.

Last edited by CombatDiver; 11-24-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM

For me;

Find as clean a water source as possible.

Strain water through a clean cloth to remove larger particles, then

boil the water
or
treat with bleach or pool shock
or
filter though a Berkey or Sawyer filter

or combination of these

This should give you good drinkable water.

Remember, short-term, you may have 20-50 gallons of water in your home water tank. Bleed off the residue with a garden hose attached to the tank, and when it runs clean that should be drinkable, or you can treat the water as listed above.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

http://www.camelbak.com/en/Sports-Re.../How/fast.aspx
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 PM

My first thought would be have a well dug on your property and buy a hand pump incase the power fails. Keep a few gallons on bleach around incase somehow the well water became dirty. Seem that I read somewhere as few as 4 0r 5 drops drops of bleach could sterilize a 50 gal drum of nasty water . Althought im sure it would take until over night. And just for my sake id probably put more bleach.

Id also say even dirty pond water would do . Just be sure to bleach it.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

Last edited by Handgun Guy; 11-30-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 AM

I have a 3 acre pond and a 7000 gal. Cistern, ,,,, and a Berkey that I use everyday with the tap water,,, if push comes to shove the cistern water goes first

also have a good supply of Berkey Black filters,,, I think they filter 1500 gal each

you guys need to check these water filters out,,, they are worth every penny

also have portable filters if I have to be on the move,,,, but the base is here and that is where the stand will happen if it ever comes

my .02

ocharry

Last edited by ocharry; 12-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM

I have one of these.

Fin
Old 12-01-2013, 06:43 PM

To tell you the truth.

I am pretty happy with my artesian well.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM

I have a google arial map of the nearby swimming pools in back yards and the best ingress/egress routes. There's also Lake Amistad and San Felipe Springs/Creek near, but would probably be crowded.

A few methods I can use to sanitize, but I need to lay in a 10 pack of HTH and a copy or two of the premix proportions, then the sanitizing proportions to water of that solution. Maybe toss a straw or two and a fresh bottle of purification tabs in the just in case spot.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icas View Post
May get complicated if the other person turns out to have a gun also.
right on.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
Nope, but I've got a gun, so I can make someone else make water for me. Plus I've got a river...
Gunslingergirl; Sure you were joking, you described the type of people my family (and probably many others and their families on this forum) are fully prepared for. Have a great day.

Last edited by Obi-Wan; 12-02-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 PM

3000 gallon rain water cistern that i keep full or mostly full. nice clean rainwater, add a dash of bleach, and it's good to drink. use for watering plants and cleaning cars and such. also a backup supply for our buried cistern that feeds the house (well went dead). gravity feed to the house.