29-2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 03:59 PM

29-2

Picked up a 6 1/2 inch 29-2 yesterday at the LGS. It's in pretty good shape, but with a turn line, and carbon on the front cylinder and on the top strap above the barrel, its obviously been fired, so it's not going to be any safe queen.

I've wanted one of these for years and been drooling over it in the case for a couple months. I 'm a bit disappointed as I wanted a blue 'Dirty Harry' clone; but this one has a nickel finish. I guess due to the Covid situation it hung around a little longer than I've normally seen.

Also it came with no presentation case or sight adjustment tool; unfortunately even so it came at a pretty steep price. Nonetheless as something I know I'm going to enjoy owing I don't regret buying it.

Looking forward to seeing all the current mess going on end so I can get it to the range and try it out... yes, I reload and have already brewed up a BUNCH of .44 specials to use "similar to a wadcutter" as Harry himself put it in 'Magnum Force'...

Last edited by securityman; 03-29-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:16 PM

Fine revolvers! I'm sure you will enjoy shooting it. You're certainly on the right track by shooting reduced loads
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM
Administrator

The original script for Dirty Harry called for Detective Harry Callahan to use a 4" nickel-plated 29, but they couldn't be sourced at the time so the 6 1/2" blued ones were used instead. So you're still pretty close to it if you count the original story. And BTW the quote in Magnum Force about Dirty Harry using .44 Specials is often mis-interpreted. The script called for him to say that he made his own special lighter-bullet loads, but in the movie he condensed it to say ".44 light specials" which many people assumed he meant .44 Specials. Given the heavy recoil every time he fired it and the bad guys being sent into orbit you can bet they weren't being popped by .44 Specials. He simply was using lighter bullets which not only gave better control, but were more effective against man-sized targets than the heavy hunting loads typically available at the time.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM

Thanks gentlemen! DSK, its amazing how much 'interweb' power has been burned up discussing a fictitious film topic on various firearm sites in the past, including this one! Just Google it if curious. Being gun guys and currently in a slow time I guess we can be forgiven.

I have a couple hundred factory .44 mag full loads I was given as well, but those things can be brutal at the range, especially with the original checked wooden stocks. I could see a real flinching habit coming on.

I'm still looking forward to hitting the range with both the .44 and a Universal m1 carbine I will be breaking out of gun-layaway confinement next month.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM

I looked for and found a 1980 mint/ unfired blued 4 inch 29-2 Iíve got some 6 inch revolvers and have no regrets about my choice. It shoots great..
Attached Thumbnails
FEC7F4F3-0C53-44E7-A42E-35252B7B1FAE.png  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityman View Post
Thanks gentlemen! DSK, its amazing how much 'interweb' power has been burned up discussing a fictitious film topic on various firearm sites in the past, including this one! Just Google it if curious. Being gun guys and currently in a slow time I guess we can be forgiven.
Well, Dirty Harry was hugely influential film, not just for us gun guys but for pop culture in general. You can show a picture of a blued 6 1/2" S&W 29 to virtually anybody in the world, even if they don't know about guns or even speak English, and they'll respond with "Dirty Harry! .44 Magnum! Make my day!". I'm not an avid action movie buff, and I normally don't collect mementos from films, but I bought my Model 29 specifically because it is one of the world's most iconic firearms. I have no use for it other than simply "to have". Having said that, these early ones with the pinned barrels and recessed cylinders are absolutely gorgeous pieces of machinery. If it wasn't for Dirty Harry they'd simply have been very under-rated and under-appreciated revolvers. The movies simply made more people stand up and appreciate them for what they really are.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 PM

I always thought back then, Dirty Harry carried a Python...
Oh well, i guess i can sell mine..
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 PM

My 29-2 specials are, 4.5 gr Bullseye, 180 gr WC, in a 44 special case. Really tears up tin cans, and pleasant to shoot. After having mine shooting loose, and being rebuilt twice, from heavy use of full power loads, 44 special loadings, are now the diet.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I always thought back then, Dirty Harry carried a Python...
In the Dirty Harry film Magnum Force, the character Officer John Davis, played by David Soul, carried a blued 4" Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqtRlDNDHT4
Old 03-29-2020, 09:36 PM

Thanks OF for the clarification...
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 AM

Love those 6 1/2" guns...

Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
In the Dirty Harry film Magnum Force, the character Officer John Davis, played by David Soul, carried a blued 4" Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqtRlDNDHT4
I like the "Hang Ten" shirts that Harry and Davis were wearing. Quite popular in the day.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I agree the 6 1/2" barrel gives the best balance in terms of looks and feel. I can spot one compared to a 6" from a mile away, and the latter just doesn't look right to me.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 AM

And yet we have no pictures from the OP?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:54 PM

Seems I read somewhere that both the 6" and 8" 629-2 were both used in filming..
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
Seems I read somewhere that both the 6" and 8" 629-2 were both used in filming..
Maybe 29's, but not 629's (stainless). Movie was 1971 and the intro of the 629 was 1978.

Last edited by Pizza Bob; 04-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckdrvr View Post
6 1/2" models were used in the first film. Promotional posters sometimes showed the 8" just for effect. I noticed in the last movie (The Dead Pool) his 29 may have been a 6", which makes sense since it was filmed in 1988, long after the 6 1/2" model had been discontinued.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM

My parent's marriage was a hot mess. I never knew what each day (& night) would bring.

So one night when I was six years old my dad, buzzed as usual on Ernest & Julio Gallo Hearty Burgundy came into my room & said "C'mon, Kid. Get dressed, We're going to the movies. Chop chop!" --------------- School Night be damned. I jumped at the chance before he changed his saturated mind.

So away we went in the '40 Buick to see the latest Disney pic. WRONG! It was Dirty Harry.

Holy crap, I had NO business seeing that stuff at six years old. The ski-masked villain's bulge-eyed screaming reaction to getting his leg gutted freaked me out.

Then the Harry's foot in his wound scene gave me the willies, big time. Going straight from 101 Dalmatians to Dirty Harry sure was a jolt.

It sure the heck wasn't the TV Western bang bang "ya got me, Pal" gunfights I was familiar with.

Now as an adult, I love the movie. Funny the difference a few years makes.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Administrator

At six years old I was watching Baa Baa Black Sheep and John Wayne war movies. No leftist Disney propaganda for me.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 AM

dsk-------- Then you missed some good stuff!

And note that Dirty Harry--------- DEEP in the R Rated category, for both sex & violence---------- was gnarlier than John Wayne's PG type war flicks. Especially when they're edited for TV.

Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima didn't have naked female corpses, for example. DH is on another level.

Funny that as a take-away, at the time I coveted Harry's switchblade more than his revolver. Probably because I knew my Grandad would probably soon give me his identical one. Which DID happen ------------- I still have it.

Back then I knew that gun ownership was still a LONG ways off in the hazy future. So wanting a .44 Magnum, at six!, was a pointless a fantasy as wanting Harry's job or car.

But the knife was doable. At one point as a young teen I even tried scotch-taping it to my leg. I regretted that one!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:27 PM

I knew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
dsk-------- Then you missed some good stuff!

And note that Dirty Harry--------- DEEP in the R Rated category, for both sex & violence---------- was gnarlier than John Wayne's PG type war flicks. Especially when they're edited for TV.

Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima didn't have naked female corpses, for example. DH is on another level.

Funny that as a take-away, at the time I coveted Harry's switchblade more than his revolver. Probably because I knew my Grandad would probably soon give me his identical one. Which DID happen ------------- I still have it.

Back then I knew that gun ownership was still a LONG ways off in the hazy future. So wanting a .44 Magnum, at six!, was a pointless a fantasy as wanting Harry's job or car.

But the knife was doable. At one point as a young teen I even tried scotch-taping it to my leg. I regretted that one!
Something not quite right about you Mag man.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Funny how, as anti-gun as Hollywood is, they've probably ended up selling more guns than anyone else through the years. Dirty Harry .44 Magnums, Lethal Weapon Berettas, Punisher 1911s, Band of Brothers M1s...
Old 04-01-2020, 03:46 PM

USMM guy------------- Yep. I can't argue that one.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:47 PM

I suspect you might have a bit of The Odd too. No offense.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Funny how, as anti-gun as Hollywood is, they've probably ended up selling more guns than anyone else through the years. Dirty Harry .44 Magnums, Lethal Weapon Berettas, Punisher 1911s, Band of Brothers M1s...
Don't forget Justified. The opening scene in Season 1 Episode 1 is the reason I bought my Sig 226....