Bayou Bullets 200g Coated SWC OAL - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 PM

Bayou Bullets 200g Coated SWC OAL

What overall length is recommended for this bullet? If one is having feeding issues with SWCs, is it better to increase or decrease OAL?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Depends on what type of malf and how long you are now. (pics are helpful if possible)

I've always used (after reading it here many times) the base of the case to the shoulder on the SWC at .920"-.930" for best feeding and accuracy. This quantifies the "thumbnail" approach.

Last edited by flechero; 03-25-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 PM

I use 1.250 with Missouri 200g swc with no feeding issues in 2 1911s This works out to the thumbnail rule with my loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 PM

I like the Bayou bullets. My Ruger SR1911, Sig C3 both eat swc’s very reliably and are pretty forgiving about minor OAL variations. I do use the thumbnail rule in setting the seating die. However...I brought an Officer’s Model, it feeds round noses, period. I tried t/c, rnfp,swc, lead, coated, and plated. It fed plated round nose, period. I varied the seating depth from no shoulder to over 1/8”, it fed rn, period. I loaded a 200 gr round nose, coated. It had a teeny tiny step between the barrel of the bullet and the ogive, it would not feed.
The ramp is too steep and the slide cycle is top fast. It feeds round nose, period!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:37 PM

I've run those same bullets from 1.240-1.255" with no problem, I was having feeding issues, (turns out the problem was something else).
Old 03-26-2020, 01:00 PM

I load the Bayou 200gr SWC to 1.245" with good results.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM

I tried those. They were pretty good at 1.250.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM

It is a great product. Like several of the previous comments, I also load these in the 1.245-1.250" range. For bullets with a shoulder as this one has, it is fairly commonly recommended (and also mentioned above) that the distance from the base of the case to the top of the shoulder be 0.93". I've used this standard at times when loading SWC with differing "nose designs" and it has always worked for me.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:13 PM

I have been running them at 1.23 ish. I've adjusted my crimp and I need to test them. Now I can at least cycle them by hand.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
I have been running them at 1.23 ish. I've adjusted my crimp and I need to test them. Now I can at least cycle them by hand.
Can you elaborate on the crimp ?

Newbie here, trying to learn.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 PM

Bayou 200SWC coated is one of my go to bullets too. 1.250" for that bullet feeds & chambers nicely in all my pistols with mixed brass.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 03-27-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Bayou 200SWC coated is one of my go to bullets too. 1.250" for that bullet feeds & chambers nicely in all my pistols with mixed brass.
======
I vote for 468 taper crimp at the mouth at that length.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM

.468" is what I HAVE to run in MY gun or I get feeding issues, it's amazing how a couple of thousandths of an inch can have so much affect. I went nuts trying to figure out the feeding issues, long, short, more powder, less powder, recoil springs, etc. Finally narrowed it down to crimp, .469 and bigger, feeding issues, .468" runs all day, no issues!

Last edited by JamieC; 03-27-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
======
I vote for 468 taper crimp at the mouth at that length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
.468" is what I HAVE to run in MY gun or I get feeding issues, it's amazing how a couple of thousandths of an inch can have so much affect. I went nuts trying to figure out the feeding issues, long, short, more powder, less powder, recoil springs, etc. Finally narrowed it down to crimp, .469 and bigger, feeding issues, .468" runs all day, no issues!

Thank you both for that insight.

This newbie old guy is grateful.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 PM

.468 is my latest adjustment. Now to crimp all of my ammo. ��
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Do you have your feed issues solved? I know many people are particular about crimp but more often than not, crimp becomes the final piece of accuracy, not feed. There are some exceptions as noted above but the vast majority of guns will feed with crimps from the mid .460's up to .471/2

I'm not questioning your decision (.468/9 is the sweet spot for most of my guns too) but want you to be sure you solved the issue, as opposed to just applied a band aid.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbrass33 View Post
I like the Bayou bullets. My Ruger SR1911, Sig C3 both eat swc’s very reliably and are pretty forgiving about minor OAL variations. I do use the thumbnail rule in setting the seating die. However...I brought an Officer’s Model, it feeds round noses, period. I tried t/c, rnfp,swc, lead, coated, and plated. It fed plated round nose, period. I varied the seating depth from no shoulder to over 1/8”, it fed rn, period. I loaded a 200 gr round nose, coated. It had a teeny tiny step between the barrel of the bullet and the ogive, it would not feed.
The ramp is too steep and the slide cycle is top fast. It feeds round nose, period!
I have had similar issues with an older Kimber CDP (no dash number). I don't care what is stamped on the side of the slide, it is not the product of a "Custom Shop". With the proper recoil spring from Wolf, a WC extractor and FPS it works a lot better but is still happiest with ball ammo.

I have had success with tweaking some handloads with Speer Gold Dots and I have gotten lswc's to work but it takes a powder charge closer to full house energies than we usually build range ammo to.

If you use HP-38 you might try bumping the charge up to 5.2-5.4 grains with a 200gr lswc and see if that will help though there is nothing wrong with using round nose ammo...
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM

I fought this same issue for a long time, and this is what I settled on for my go to load. The first challenge I faced was to please three different guns with one load. I shoot a Colt Series 70, that has been heavily modified and has a reliability package, a Range Officer Compact 45 that I carry daily, and a S&W M&P 45C. I am loading the new Bayou 200gr SWC without a lube groove. I also use the finger nail method for OAL which equates to 1.230 to 1.233 over 5-5.5gr of HP38/W231. After having a lot of feed issues with this load, my research lead me to try a Lee Factory Crimp die. After setting up my seater die to only seat and not crimp, and doing the crimping set at .468-469 with the Lee die, I finally have a reliable load that works in all three of my 45s. Although some people don't see the need for a separate crimp die, all I can say is it worked for me. Do some research on the Lee die and see what you find. Good Luck