EMP4 or Range Officer Elite Target for Wife - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 PM

EMP4 or Range Officer Elite Target for Wife

I picked up a new TRP Operator in .45 and my wife really liked it except for the rough front strap. She everyday carries a Walther PPS M2 in 9mm and that’s not going to change, but she would like a 1911 in 9mm. Her only stipulation is that it have a smooth front strap. This guns only function will be a range gun for when we go one “Range Dates.” Since I’ve never had either I would like to have the group weigh in on which is considered to be better (more reliable, less recoil, etc) between the EMP4 or the Range Officer Elite Target, both in 9mm. I know that both are considered by many, to be great guns, but just want some opinions on which might be a better fit for a woman with small hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 07:30 PM

The emp is just over 1k. I believe you can find a RO elite for 700. The RO will have less recoil because its heavier/bulkier. If she has super small hands, an emp may fit her better, being a smaller package. The emp also come with night sights vs the ROs fiber optic sight.

Also keep in mind there is less aftermarket support for the emp. (Holsters, other parts).
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM

The EMP 4 comes with fiber optic front and 2 dot rear sights-also any holster for a 1911 will work for a EMP-but the front strap is not smooth it has the golf ball treatment.
I own both of the EMP models but in .40 S&W-I carry the EMP3 daily.
I found Midwest Gunwork's carries a few parts for the EMP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 09:00 PM

My wife loves my RO Champion in 9mm . I love the fact all my 1911 9mm magazines
work in the champion as well as my Combat Operator in 9mm . Have her look at a
9mm champion . I bought mine for 725.00

https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...-champion-9mm/

Since mine went to SACS she loves it even more .

Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM

I had the opportunity to shoot Bill’s Champion back to back with my EMP4 and will say that once I changed the grips to some thicker (old R-officer grips) they shot very similarly. The champion has a lot going for it and if I had known about it when I bought my EMP4 I would have bought the champion for a lot less money than the emp4

Plus as bill says the mags are standard 9mm 1911 mags vs the EMP4 only’ s .

Take the wife to the gun shop and let her handle both, the EMP4 does have the “golf ball” treatment on the front strap but it is quite comfortable and not sharp at all. My .02
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post

Take the wife to the gun shop and let her handle both,
IMHO, If at all feasible, can't go wrong with this advice..
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 PM

The thing I like about the EMP is the smaller frame is built around 9mm not .45

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 03-25-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I had the opportunity to shoot Bill’s Champion back to back with my EMP4 and will say that once I changed the grips to some thicker (old R-officer grips) they shot very similarly. The champion has a lot going for it and if I had known about it when I bought my EMP4 I would have bought the champion for a lot less money than the emp4

Plus as bill says the mags are standard 9mm 1911 mags vs the EMP4 only’ s .

Take the wife to the gun shop and let her handle both, the EMP4 does have the “golf ball” treatment on the front strap but it is quite comfortable and not sharp at all. My .02

Always always always let the wife pick her own pistol . Also have lots of
magazines . Better to shoot then to load . Better to have lots of universal
magazines that work in everything , then to have gun specific only magazines .
Saves money in the long run .

Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 PM

Both good choices. EMP might be better for her based one the fact it is slightly slimmer. If recoil is a concern shoot the 147g ammo it has less recoil. My wife likes my EMP but it prints too much on her small frame so she carries a Sig P238 instead. She also has a P938 which she wants to switch to, but do to problems with the gun we have to test it and make sure it is working properly before the change. We just got it back from Sig. Lets hope it runs right.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:27 PM

Yes, I hope your Sig runs right.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:33 AM

Buy her the Lightweight Loaded Operator, she'll LOVE IT! Recoil isn't anymore than that of steel frame, full size Gov't. I took the 2 piece guide rod out, replaced with GI rod/plug, for even lighter weight. Great carry/range piece, super accurate, great trigger.