Might end up with a TRP after all - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 12:57 AM

I was debating between a TRP and a Baer a few weeks ago, and went ahead and purchased the Baer.

They feel incredibly good in hand, and lock up is absurdly tight, but for some reason I just wasn’t excited about it. I have no idea why that is/was.

I got an offer for a stainless TRP, and a newer production Colt Gold Cup NM, in trade. Both have very low round counts (under 100).

I’m going to likely ditch the Colt and maybe tinker with the TRP a bit. Maybe trade the Colt into a decent scope for my girlfriends rifle. Or get the Beretta I’ve been lusting after.

Anyhow, I truly don’t know what the pull is, but I can’t help the fact that I like Springers, even when “on paper” they’re not up to the same spec as the other semi-custom brands.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:42 AM

Gotta go with what works for you.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:22 PM

I've had a TRP for about 2 years now, with close to 4,000 rds thru it and have loved it. All my other guns are now safe queens, except for my back up Ruger .38 and my grab and go fanny pack with a Glock 36. Read somewhere that TRP stands for "The Right Pistol" and for me that is true. It's my duty, off-duty, EDC 1911 and I am well pleased with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 03:10 PM

I love my TRP, it's a nice pistol.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:15 PM

The TRP is a great pistol no doubt. Then again, so is that Colt. You may want to consider not ditching it quite so fast - you might find that you like it too.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:09 PM

Turns out that the guy I was going to make a trade with was a world class butthole, so no trades at this time.

But, I am going to go ahead and grab a TRP, if not a Pro.

I may not own a Springer right now, but deep down I really am a Springer fanboy.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 PM

Whatever brand works for you , is all that matters .

I have yet to see a Colt I had to have . Now a SACS Professional
or ACW classic carry . Thoughts are some pistols . A black TRP
is always nice .
Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Well keep on selling and trading until you find something you really like. That's what's important. I'm in the same boat with my first and only 1911.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 PM

I always bobble over the rail vs non railed thing. I’d prefer non railed most of the time, but there are times when a light is pretty advantageous. Like, while out camping, and the dogs start messing with something in the dark.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:01 PM

Absolutely love my TRP - getting some custom work done for it's 10th birthday

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 03-22-2020, 12:30 AM

Have you shot the Baer?
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 03-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ 1911 View Post

Been thinking along those lines, too. Some new sights, upgrade the internals, GI guide rod & extended plug that will mate up with a thicker flanged bushing......crown & chamfer barrel. Perhaps a flat trigger while I'm at it.

I've been very well served by my TRP for several years now.

Pic taken when it was my main carry gun on our last beach vacation this past Summer. Had it IWB in either a MS Criterion or a Garrett Silent Thunder. Going out at night and even on the beach itself where it stayed in wife's beach bag.

One of the afternoons we were walking along the boardwalk and enjoying the view, the ocean breeze and each other's company. We were approached by a group of five late teenagers/early twenty somethings....right on the boardwalk that ran behind the hotels, resorts and bars. Grimy looking punks. They began asking where we were from and how we were liking things...talking superfast and acting jittery. as they started to spread out and surrounded us. Positioned myself in front of my wife and backed us up against the railing.

I cut through their stupid banter and told them to leave us the hell alone. My right hand was already positioned on the grip...gun never left the holster.

They kept fast talking but backed away and then turned and walked off. I don't know what they were high on, but it had them jittery and acting erratic. Not stoned. Not drunk.

Wife asked me if I had a gun with me as were talking. I gave her a hug and told her that I did, indeed have one and it was the one she'd given me as a gift for Christmas one year.

How ironic that it would be that TRP to have along on that particular evening. I'd brought it along because I felt the Armory Kote would protect against the salt air better than some other guns I had. It's also been a flawless performer since day one. Never a bit of trouble. Smooth, accurate, reliable, feels superb in hand....certainly my favorite 5" that I own.

Found out later on that Myrtle Beach has really gone downhill as far as drug crimes go. Locals know this, but for vacationers like us it was news. Glad I'd brought the TRP along....even on a beach vacation.

Last edited by DubfromGa; 03-22-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Interesting about the TRP, at first I wasn't overly impressed either. I purchased AFTER purchasing brand new, LW Loaded Operaror & Colt Comp Series '70. First impression was I paid too much for what I got, compared to the other 2 guns mentioned. I bought it brand new in November, and it has since grown to be my range favorite, relegating ALL my other pistols safe queens. Enjoy your TRP Operator, I'm now loving mine!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc145 View Post
Have you shot the Baer?
Not yet. I’m on 13.5-15 hour shifts at the moment, girlfriend has been out of town (my shooting buddy. She has a Glock 19), and dogs need training.

I didn’t end up doing the trade, so the Baer is still safe at home, but I still want a Springfield of some sort.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Bought this one mint used a few years ago, then took it up to Tommy Gun up in NC and sat there while he took it apart and stoned some parts, ground on others, and just made it so silky smooth. I had Dawson put on a different front sight to shoot where I like my pistols to impact. TRP's are big beastly, heavy guns, and I really enjoy shooting it in IDPA and just for fun. Knife is a Randall.

HC
[IMG][/IMG]
CO, A/1/5th SF, '72-'73
Old 04-08-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post

Found out later on that Myrtle Beach has really gone downhill as far as drug crimes go. Locals know this, but for vacationers like us it was news. Glad I'd brought the TRP along....even on a beach vacation.
Sad but true! The area right at the boardwalk is real bad now. Last two-three visits there we have gone to Murrels Inlet and skipped MB mostly.
Joe
Old 04-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Spooky....Check out the other recent link about the TRP. If you can live with the painted railed Operator model it might be time to do it. Should be able to sell it used for that price.

Last edited by Barefootdog; 04-08-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ 1911 View Post

It is a big downer that SACS has not re-opened its doors to custom shop
work again .
Old 04-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Spooky....Check out the other recent link about the TRP. If you can live with the painted railed Operator model it might be time to do it. Should be able to sell it used for that price.
Something seems fishy about that. Why sell a brand new TRP for $1,000 when you can make 50% more?

It just seems like the old adage, “if it’s too good to be true...”
Old 04-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Good to cautious....

Last edited by Barefootdog; 04-09-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Do the recent TRPs have “Tactical” rollmarked oh the other side?

Please say no
Old 04-22-2020, 08:01 PM

I ordered this one from Tanner's(thanks, Barefootdog for the headsup) and took delivery yesterday. I think this color combo is no longer on their website. Still, "Tactical" is on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6666.jpg  
Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotShot View Post
Do the recent TRPs have “Tactical” rollmarked oh the other side?

Please say no
Lol. It’s part of the deal, I suppose.

Surprised they didn’t roll it into something in par with Sig’s Legion “membership” silliness.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Scott View Post
I ordered this one from Tanner's(thanks, Barefootdog for the headsup) and took delivery yesterday. I think this color combo is no longer on their website. Still, "Tactical" is on the frame.
Super pistol !!!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:29 PM

Ok I am bored, going stir crazy in the house so I will show off my old school TRP, no FCS 😁, and some extra checkering to keep it mine! And yes it says Tactical.. but I love it!!
Attached Thumbnails
9A0EC886-8A79-4546-BE31-45188FCC536D_1587857334007.jpeg   FBC7D382-8CF6-4D27-95F6-95D453B211DA_1587857350918.jpeg   1B7221A6-083C-4B64-948F-670A99791699_1587857366338.jpeg