2019 Staccato P Tree Bark Grip Availability - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-12-2020, 09:43 PM

2019 Staccato P Tree Bark Grip Availability

I handled two Staccato P's at a local dealer back around x-mas. One with the 2019 grip (which I should have bought) as well as the G2 2020. I preferred the more aggressive 2019 grip. Does anybody know if the 2019 grip is still available?

Thanks,
GunNut
Old 03-12-2020, 11:02 PM

If you mean just the grip then here https://www.extremeshooters.com/sti-grips?page=2 if you mean the whole gun then you might find one, my dealer still had some last time I was there.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 AM

I did this on my Staccato P DUO and I did buy it from extreme shooters.

One thing to note is that the new G2 grip has a significantly larger magazine release. When I first got the G1 grip from extreme shooters and tried to install it I figured it was just a little tight. Instead of doing the smart thing and measuring both sides I just went to town on honing out the grip. Suffice to say I ruined it. I contacted shootersconnection and extremeshooters and now they both have notices on their websites about the magazine release.

Long story short, I would just pickup a gen 1 mag release as well as a gen 1 grip. Alternatively, if you are ok with waiting, extremeshooters offers a G2 grip service. You just send in your G2 grip and they will stipple it for you.

The last thing to note is that the G2 only has top screws (which i find to be less appealing). The bottom screws are just for aesthetics and if you were competent enough with a drill, counterbore, and tap you could probably modify the G2 yourself if you wanted them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200312_061336_1584096284732.jpg  

Last edited by Havoc35; 03-13-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 07:11 AM

I just sent my G2 grip to ES for the tree bark treatment, The stock G2 grip is horrible as it ships.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:13 AM

I thought about just buying another grip vs. sending mine out, was is easy to fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc35 View Post
I did this on my Staccato P DUO and I did buy it from extreme shooters.

One thing to note is that the new G2 grip has a significantly larger magazine release. When I first got the G1 grip from extreme shooters and tried to install it I figured it was just a little tight. Instead of doing the smart thing and measuring both sides I just went to town on honing out the grip. Suffice to say I ruined it. I contacted shootersconnection and extremeshooters and now they both have notices on their websites about the magazine release.

Long story short, I would just pickup a gen 1 mag release as well as a gen 1 grip. Alternatively, if you are ok with waiting, extremeshooters offers a G2 grip service. You just send in your G2 grip and they will stipple it for you.

The last thing to note is that the G2 only has top screws (which i find to be less appealing). The bottom screws are just for aesthetics and if you were competent enough with a drill, counterbore, and tap you could probably modify the G2 yourself if you wanted them.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:29 AM

Well, since I ruined the grip it was by no means easy to fix. Thank god I work in tool and die and have access to bridgeports. The way I ruined it was by taking too much material off the button side of the grip. The mag release has a very small lip that catches on the edge of the hole, I'm actually surprised at the lack of surface area that the mag release catches on. So I had to ream out the hole larger and stop short of going all the way through the grip. Then I milled a SAE bronze bushing down so that it would clear the magazine but still provide the surface area necessary for the mag release to stop against. I then brushed a small amount of superglue on the OD of the bushing and installed it. It works really well now as the mag release rides in a bronze bushing instead of a plastic hole, its very smooth but a pain in the ass to get right none the less.

All that is to say if you are careful you can make it fit with minimal effort. Measure your mag release and drill through and then remove the key hole area slowly until it fits. If you wrap sand paper around various sizes of drill bits you can make that happen pretty easily. If you mess up, which is also easy to do, you'll have a rough road ahead of you to fix it.

But all of that can be avoided if you spend $40 on a gen 1 mag release, which is the smarter way to go in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:23 AM

Older STI 2011 grips.....

I have several older STI 2011 grips on different guns, and even though they are not like the new "tree bark" designed grips, I have never had any major issues except when my hands sweat. I have added skateboard tape to allow a better grip in the hot and humid Florida summers when my hands perspire.... and the self sticking skateboard tape is easy to apply and lasts well over two years before needing to be changed....
Old 03-13-2020, 10:27 AM

I have a few extra Dawson Gen 1 mag releases, What I was asking is does the Gen 1 grip fit on the newer frames without too much hassle? I may just have ES send my original back and order a new G1 grip that's already ready to ship.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:27 AM

The interface is the same to my knowledge, there was no distinguishable difference between the G2 my staccato came with and the G1 i installed.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies all!

I'll probably send the G2 grip to ES for the tree bark treatment. Will STI still honor the factory warranty? I don't need to keep it as an extra. I wonder why they decided to change the texturing. The G1 was superior in my opinion. I sweat in the heat so I always look for a more aggressive grip and with the mild recoil of 9mm I find even 20LPI on steel to be no problem.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:46 AM

My G2 grip should be back from ES this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut View Post

I'll probably send the G2 grip to ES for the tree bark treatment. Will STI still honor the factory warranty? I don't need to keep it as an extra. I wonder why they decided to change the texturing. The G1 was superior in my opinion. I sweat in the heat so I always look for a more aggressive grip and with the mild recoil of 9mm I find even 20LPI on steel to be no problem.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut View Post

Them honoring the warranty is the million dollar question. When they were asked on their Live Stream they were very vague on the warranty and the changes they have made to it. It didnít even get 2 minutes of coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk