Staccato XC - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-25-2020, 10:01 PM

Staccato XC

Got my XC from a well-known dealer. I previously had an Omni .45 and it was a gem of a gun but I sold it because it just did not get shot much and deserved to be in the hands of someone who would shoot her more

Because I am leaving for a work trip tomorrow and then the Big Game after that the range report will have to wait. Also, I did not have time to post pics but that will come soon, too (I can hear your collective “boos”...sorry!). First impressions, however:

The first thing I noticed is that all of the little plastic bags and content were labeled!! I know with my Omni I got multiple bags of allen wrenches, screws, and plates and was left to my own perceptions and trial/error to figure out what the hell was what. These bags were labeled very well and told you the sizes of everything and what it was used for. +2011 to STI/Staccato on that one!

New grip actually is better in “grippiness” than I thought and I can detect the reduced size. I prefer the older, larger grip size and have a tree bark one I may put on. New magwell is better than the older ones...a little wider opening and more ramped but of course no where near an Ice magwell or anything.

Speaking of the grip, the magazine release was flat and smooth. I knew this prior to purchase and ordered an extended one from Dawson with a checkered button. Well.....turns out STI/Staccato changed the engineering on the Gen2 grip mag releases and the old ones won’t fit. Frustrating!

Slide/barrel/comp fit is everything one expects with a tight lock up, a slide that moves on ball bearings, and ease of racking. I am a little disappointed on the quality of finishing, however. The DLC is fine but I can see the machining marks on the left side of the comp. Not a major thing functionally but something that should NOT be visible on a $4,300 pistol.

Trigger pull and reset are exactly what one comes to expect from STI/Staccato..short and crisp with no take-up. It came with (3) extra springs, color-coded and labeled “light loads”, “standard”, and “hot loads”. No poundage for any of them, however, nor for the installed one. I would like to know for reference so at some point STI/Staccato will be getting a call. Also, the larger bag they were in generically called them “4.4” springs. That would make sense if they were going in a Staccato-P, but this version is supposed to be 4.15” like all the versions before. Yet another question for STI/Staccato....

The DUO system is decent but I am disappointed they went to a rear sight that is removed WITH the plate instead of remaining like on the Omni. The Trijicon plate has an additional rear sight on it. However, as many of you know, the DPP mounts directly to the slide once the plate is removed. Therefore, since the sight gets removed with the plate, you either have to mount the DPP’s “add-on” rear sight or go without. The system is fine I suppose and seems solid enough. I plan on using a Trijicon product so it will be the plate option for me.

Lastly for now, the rear grip/beavertail/safety area is still not blended as well as the Combat Master and causes that bit of “discomfort” many of us speak of. Adjusting my grip ever-so-slightly solves this, but I shouldn’t have to do that. I am unsure what companies do a “blending” and re-DLC of this area but I may look into it if I decide to keep this pistol.

Once more, sincerest apologies for no pics but feel free to ask any questions you have!
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM

Congrats, will be looking forward to both pics and a range report.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 AM

I thought the built in rear sight on the DPP was one of the best things about the whole DUO system, I really like the package. I think you can thank Dawson Precision for the over the top labeling of the packages and I too, found it very helpful. Their "in-house" DLC isn't as shiny as the old DLC and it's probably because they are doing more bead blasting than sanding the surfaces, to speed up production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 10:49 AM

Interested to hear the range report and if you prefer shooting this one compared to an Omni.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 PM

At the range Monday. Will post
Old 02-17-2020, 04:12 PM

STI says the XC trigger is set at 2.5 lbs. do you have a gauge to verify?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 PM

Took her out to the range and had a very good time! Ran generic 115 ball (American Eagle I think, maybe PMC...it was just dumped in an ammo can) along with 124 & 147 from Peak Performance ammo (great company...my EDC X9L loooovvveeesss the 124!).

Recoil was tame and she shot super-flat...somewhere between a 22mag & low-power 380. The faster I shot, the better it was! I did not shoot past 30 ft. but I could keep it in 1/2” to 3/4” if I focused and 1” easily if I just “shot” and kept good form. This comp far exceeds my old Wilson comp’d 9mm.

No red dot mounted today...irons only. I was at a public range (unfortunately) so I had to deal with all types of idiocy that public ranges bring so no exhaustive testing was done today...just general fun and then leaving before I got shot by any one of the many patrons present trying to be John Wick.

I cannot yet determine which grain ammo she likes best...they were all pretty close. Since this gun screams to have a permanent red dot mounted I will likely wait to do ammo testing until I get a dedicated one for her. Thus far I am thinking another SRO because I like how the irons co-witness with it (took the one off my X9L to try). The DPP just sits too low on it for my liking.

The smaller G2 grip seemed good...I have a NIB tree-bark grip I may try one day for comparison. Like all STIs (except my CM..more on that soon) I got the stereotypical “bite” from the beavertail/thumb safety but worked through it. At first it would not chamber a round using the slide release and I had to rack the slide but that went away after a few mags. Otherwise, had one failure to extract and that’s it.

She is a keeper for sure! I am going to look into what company can blend the safety/beavertail area a bit better and perhaps fit a low-ride safety. The latter may be tough due to the shape of the G2 grip but that is TBD yet.

I am thinking my Combat Master may be on its way out the door now. Zero issues, great gun, but I see it being a safe queen now and I don’t need any of those.

TJ: I have a Lyman gauge and will test tomorrow for you. I am guessing 2 lbs from the 200-rounds or so she saw today.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=
TJ: I have a Lyman gauge and will test tomorrow for you. I am guessing 2 lbs from the 200-rounds or so she saw today.[/QUOTE]

Thank you
Old 02-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Congrats. Sounds like a good day.

But as they say “This thread is no good without photos”.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Wow possibly selling the CM. Can’t wait to see the new one in person.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:21 PM

Trigger pull is 1 lb 9.7oz as measured in middle of pad, 5-pull average on digital Lyman gauge
Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
The smaller G2 grip seemed good...I have a NIB tree-bark grip I may try one day for comparison. Like all STIs (except my CM..more on that soon) I got the stereotypical “bite” from the beavertail/thumb safety but worked through it.
Yes I can get kind of sore from the thumb safety, the Combat Master seemed to fix that by smoothing that off. I'm thinking I'll call them and see if they will sell me several of them.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Trigger pull is 1 lb 9.7oz as measured in middle of pad, 5-pull average on digital Lyman gauge
Nice, that is getting into the “tap” the trigger range.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-20-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Nice, that is getting into the “tap” the trigger range.
If I remember correctly, my Combat Master is 1lb 7oz. Darn close!