Make a CCO from Parts...Can it Be Done” - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 PM

Make a CCO from Parts...Can it Be Done?

I have a Defender slide and a Colt Commander barrel. Can I make my own CCO by simply swapping the Commander slide to the Defender frame? Are frame or slide modifications necessary to make it function?

While I’m at it, will the opposite work: running the Defender slide on the Commander frame, also without modifications.

Both the frame and slide are Series 80. I have the parts for both 9mm and 45, just not sure which one I’ll do, providing it will work.

Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by Whit; 02-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:49 PM

You will need to use an Officer's receiver. The dust cover on the Defender frame is to short and there will be a gap where the recoil spring is exposed.
I built a .38 Super CCO from parts in 2018, but used a Caspian Officer's receiver to which I fit a pre series 80 Colt Combat Commander slide / barrel assembly. I used all premium parts from Wilson, Harrison Design, Cylinder & Slide, and others. It functions perfectly. Last fall though a bought a nice used Wilson Combat CQB compact with two fit barrels for the same money I have in the CCO. But HEY YMMV..
Old 02-11-2020, 05:51 PM

The dust cover can be extended by welding on a piece cut from a defunct frame, but you'll have to refinish it after that. And if you blue it, the seam will probably show.

I haven't got around to dealing with mine yet, so I've been shooting it with the overbite. Looks silly, but it sure shoots nice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebuster View Post
You will need to use an Officer's receiver. The dust cover on the Defender frame is to short and there will be a gap where the recoil spring is exposed.
I built a .38 Super CCO from parts in 2018, but used a Caspian Officer's receiver to which I fit a pre series 80 Colt Combat Commander slide / barrel assembly. I used all premium parts from Wilson, Harrison Design, Cylinder & Slide, and others. It functions perfectly. Last fall though a bought a nice used Wilson Combat CQB compact with two fit barrels for the same money I have in the CCO. But HEY YMMV..

Here's a pic of my parts CCO..
Old 02-11-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebuster View Post
I did essentially the same thing, but I started with an Essex made Detonics style frame.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Nonte's "Pistolsmithing" book shows some cut-down 1911s, from DIY Commenders down to what we'd call a Defender now. Depending on where the slides were cut and welded, some of those guns had a gap between the slide and dust cover. He showed a couple where a floating(?) spacer or washer was used to cover the naked spring.

Unfortunately he didn't show or tell anything about that part, so I have no idea what kept the spacer from simply sliding to one end of the spring and staying there, and obviously it wasn't preventing the slide from moving back all the way. But if you could figure out what was going on there, it'd save welding and refinishing a Defender frame.

Did I mention mine shoots good? I was more than 75% sure that the stubby little grip would suck, but it turned out to be a not-a-problem.