ACW and Hard fit - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 AM

Every time this thread gets bumped I hope it's Rob answering the follow-up questions...
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM

It's a Russian bot answering all the questions.

Earlier a question was asked about purpose built bullseye guns that I didn't answer. Short answer: We don't build those. If you go to the website there's no mention on it. It's only something I do if someone seeks out those services and it's aside from normal business. Who knows, maybe someday we'll do a model that accepts the Kodiak optic mount or a NM Hardball model but for right now we'll stand pat with the models we build.

I really don't like to play the accuracy game for a couple of reasons. I would really prefer to get away from offering an enhanced accuracy guarantee. For the following reasons...

1.) There are other manufacturers playing the accuracy game that are full of crap.
2.) Accuracy is not something most people can test or prove themselves.
3.) Truly building a gun for optimal accuracy yields a gun that is difficult to manipulate until fully broken in. (this is no longer popular with 90% of the gun buying world)
4.) Not many people have the actual knowledge or skill to operate a gun built with accuracy being the main focus. (Either they don't have reloading skill or aren't willing to buy high dollar factory ammo)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post

Earlier a question was asked about purpose built bullseye guns that I didn't answer. Short answer: We don't build those. If you go to the website there's no mention on it. It's only something I do if someone seeks out those services and it's aside from normal business. Who knows, maybe someday we'll do a model that accepts the Kodiak optic mount or a NM Hardball model but for right now we'll stand pat with the models we build.

I really don't like to play the accuracy game for a couple of reasons. I would really prefer to get away from offering an enhanced accuracy guarantee. For the following reasons...

1.) There are other manufacturers playing the accuracy game that are full of crap.
3.) Truly building a gun for optimal accuracy yields a gun that is difficult to manipulate until fully broken in. (this is no longer popular with 90% of the gun buying world)
4.) Not many people have the actual knowledge or skill to operate a gun built with accuracy being the main focus. (Either they don't have reloading skill or aren't willing to buy high dollar factory ammo)
If Russian bots built 1911s like yours, they can have the Internet.

Is it correct to take from your posts that your standard accuracy guarantee guns are semi-hard fit, and the better than 1" guns are full hard fit?

How would you fit the barrel on a do-everything gun for a shooter who isn't in the 90% you mention?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Oso View Post
In this, the beginning of my 60th year, I just placed an order for a Alchemy Prime Elite with the extra accuracy option (as well as a hard-chromed frame and blued slide). Looking forward to June now more than ever.
Sweet. I like that set up.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 AM

Standard guns have no perceivable lockup and you can turn the bushing with your fingers.

Accuracy guarantee guns have a hard fit angle bore thick bushing and semi hard lockup. Since they're stainless barrels, I don't go as hard as I would with a carbon steel (Kart/Colt NM) barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpepper Cattle Co. View Post
If Russian bots built 1911s like yours, they can have the Internet.

Is it correct to take from your posts that your standard accuracy guarantee guns are semi-hard fit, and the better than 1" guns are full hard fit?

How would you fit the barrel on a do-everything gun for a shooter who isn't in the 90% you mention?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 AM

hard fit, soft fit, machine fit, all of them shoot better than I can at this stage of the game! There's enough smoke and mirror manufacturers out there to fill all the needs. Rob, PLEASE just do what you do, make, build, tune a 1911 that shoots great and looks good too. Too many companies try to be all things to all people. Some, know what they are good at and focus on that....
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
hard fit, soft fit, machine fit, all of them shoot better than I can at this stage of the game! There's enough smoke and mirror manufacturers out there to fill all the needs. Rob, PLEASE just do what you do, make, build, tune a 1911 that shoots great and looks good too. Too many companies try to be all things to all people. Some, know what they are good at and focus on that....
Man, it's too bad they don't have a like button here, as that is my exact thoughts.

I love shooting and looking at my Prime Elite. I don't compete with it and I don't claim to be the world's best shot, but it is easy to keep putting bullets where you want with my Prime Elite. One fantastic gun and worth every dollar I spent for it.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:43 PM

More hard fit video goodness from Rob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb1NX3bW258
Old 02-03-2020, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Rob - this is VERY sound logic in a nutshell! Like Bigdaddymike said, keep doing what you're doing and producing really fine guns. Oh, and I do like the addition of the charcoal bluing; it is a very special finish in its own right, and no collection is complete without at least one 1911 in charcoal blue IMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-03-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post

Well said Bigdaddymike

What I really know is , who is questioning Rob on this stuff . The proof is in
the pudding . Is someone out there building a better , end all , do all 1911
better then ACW . Wait for it , wait for it .... NO .

Quit yappin and start shooting
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy1911 View Post
Well said Bigdaddymike

What I really know is , who is questioning Rob on this stuff . The proof is in
the pudding . Is someone out there building a better , end all , do all 1911
better then ACW . Wait for it , wait for it .... NO .

Quit yappin and start shooting
Billy, I am patiently waiting on my Prome Elite (with a few spea=cial touches). Rob is doing this one himself, no Avocado Toast eaten here....
Old 02-06-2020, 02:11 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a post where someone was complaining about their accuracy guaranteed gun not producing the guaranteed accuracy. Has anyone ever sent their gun back for repair because in wasn't as accurate as it was to be?
Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM

Not everyone that buys guns posts on forums. I would guess it's around 2 percent that actually actively post on some sort of gun forum. I have seen a couple of threads crop up over the years in the Baer forum. Other than that, not a whole lot. When I was working for the man, there were a couple of occasions that guys weren't happy. Les would just take the gun back and refund their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a post where someone was complaining about their accuracy guaranteed gun not producing the guaranteed accuracy. Has anyone ever sent their gun back for repair because in wasn't as accurate as it was to be?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Not everyone that buys guns posts on forums. I would guess it's around 2 percent that actually actively post on some sort of gun forum.
So I guess these means that 98% of us actually have a life.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:19 PM

If the USPS doesn't let me down, my LGS will get an Alchemy Custom Prime Elite in 9mm with the enhanced accuracy guarantee tomorrow from (Mi) Gunslingers.

I don't compete, but I basically just shoot bullseye with my pistols--iron sights, two hands, standing up. I used to put the targets at 10 yards, but switched to 15 yards a month ago. My best 10-shot groups are about one inch, but most are worse than that. I plan to gradually push the distance out to 25 yards. That is as far as my local indoor range goes, so that is likely all I will do.

I own more pistols than is rational because I should really focus on a single one. That said, I do about the best with a Les Baer Heavyweight Monolith 1911 in 9mm with the supposed 1.5 inch at 50 yards accuracy guarantee and 3.5# trigger. The gun works great for me with 124 gr. American Eagle or S&B. It does not tend to feed 147 grain truncated cone well.

I really have no idea whether it would should a 1.5 inch group at 50 yards. I don't really care. At the time I bought it, I had read about people suspicions about the accuracy guarantee, but it was worth it to me to get a gun represented as being as accurate as Les Baer could do. I will conceed that the small piece of cardboard with some bullet holes in it, and lacking all the other information from a standard test target, is not super helpful. (It should have a full target to show point of aim vs. point of impact. It should state the distance on it. It should state the round count. It should detail which ammunition was used. It should state what kind of rest [if any] was used. It should be signed so that it serves as something of a legal representation of the gun.)

I also own a Les Baer Premier II in 45 ACP with the 1.5 inch accuracy guarantee. It also shoots great.

I was very close to getting a 6 inch Les Baer Ultimate Master in 9mm with the 1.5 inch accuracy guarantee, given my positive experience with the first two.

I have tried other 1911s and been less enthusiastic. Most have been significantly less expensive than the Les Baers. One was a 10mm Nighthawk, which had some problems that they fixed when I sent it back. However, it really didn't do much for me and the caliber is not ideal for bullseye, so I sold it.

I may still get the Les Baer Ultimate Master, but I saw all the positive things about the Alchemy Custom on here and one that was configured nearly exactly how I would like it showed up on the website at (MI) Gunslingers. The test target looked nice and was an actual test target. I called; George seemed like a good guy on the phone and answered my questions. I could not resist and didn't want to have to wait for another one to come along. George got it in the mail the very same day.

I am really excited to shoot this Alchemy 1911. I will be interested to see if I shoot it as well as my Les Baers or better. Of course, I understand that how well I shoot won't really indicate whether it is more or less accurate, but my accuracy with a gun matters more to me than intrinsic accuracy. Also, I will confess a weakness for nice-looking 1911s, so I am eager to see how it looks and feels in the flesh.

As an aside, I will say my Swiss Sig P210s are also extremely accurate. I just worry about investing in guns when spare parts may become too scarce.

A final aside, some day, when I have more patience and more money, I think I will order a full custom 1911 from David Sams in Virginia. He has made 1911s and other guns for some serious competition shooters. He talks about 1 inch groups at 50 yards in 9mm and 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards in 45 ACP.

Like Alchemy Custom, based on the test target, David Sams suggests Atlanta Arms JHPs if one isn't reloading, oneself.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:50 PM

Am not a fan of anything that might interfere w/ reliability, but this thread has made me take a look at Alchemy guns. There may be a Commander-model in my future.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM

After getting a few questions answered by Rob, I ordered a Classic Carry last night. I have been looking for a nice Commander for awhile, and was had my sights set on a Nighthawk Border Special. But the ACW gun fills the bill nicely for a lot less. It looks like a July delivery for me.

But no Hard Fit for me. This will be a carry gun.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
After getting a few questions answered by Rob, I ordered a Classic Carry last night. I have been looking for a nice Commander for awhile, and was had my sights set on a Nighthawk Border Special. But the ACW gun fills the bill nicely for a lot less. It looks like a July delivery for me.

Sweet. Thats what I want.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post

I am sure you'll love it. July really isn't that far away--especially for a high-end gun--but I bet it will feel like a long way away.