1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck Norris View Post
I had originally wanted an all-steel 5" 9mm, but after receiving the LW at 33 oz, im now wondering if all-steel would have been overkill for 9mm. The LW is plenty heavy. Feels awesome in the hand
Chuck, my Aegis Elite Custom (5") 9mm with it's stainless steel frame is almost like shooting a .22LR target pistol when comparing felt recoil. It's a real powder-puff, and a real joy for a range gun.

Enjoy that Custom LW!
Old 12-31-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuck Norris View Post
It took a minute for me to get the gun back together after field stripping it. Turns out, the square lug on the slide stop was getting hung up on the plunger/detent. You'd think that it would be tapered to help get it going. Maybe i was doing it wrong.. who knows.

I had originally wanted an all-steel 5" 9mm, but after receiving the LW at 33 oz, im now wondering if all-steel would have been overkill for 9mm. The LW is plenty heavy. Feels awesome in the hand
It will be really tight for the first 500 rounds. Then it will feel real good.

Make sure you learn how to do a complete detail strip. There are plenty of videos on YouTube to learn off
Old 01-01-2020, 07:52 PM

The plan was to wait until this weekend when my mecgar mags showed up, but i couldn't help myself and decided to hit the range today with the kimber.

Wow... I've been missing out. Shooting this gun was something special. It's like it's on ball bearings. I brought the p365 and hellcat also, and shooting those two guns after the 1911 was like shooting my LCP.

I appear to be printing high at 7 yards, but it's probably dead-on at 25 yards, correct? Not sure if i will change out the front sight or just leave it. I like to split the bullseye with the top of the front sight post. Im not really into 6 oclock holds

Put a quick sandpaper grip job on it. Feels awesome. Length of pull is fantastic. i can see how people get into 1911s and never look back. I still like my plastic guns, but i think something in me changed today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200101_202721_1577929874416.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	571136

Name:	20200101_202703_1577929902240.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	571138

Name:	20200101_202750_1577929924917.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	571140
Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 AM

My 9mm lw had 2 of the grip bushings cross threaded from kimber...I removed them and chased them and cleaned them up and all is good now...I’m guessing the aluminum frame is a little softer so be careful when u remove the grips...other than that this thing is a beauty...I also had the cabelas exclusive model that was a 9mm in tru tan but unfortunately the backorder got cancelled so then I went with this model, I’m kinda glad cause I heard the tan finish isn’t very durable...anyone else here have a tru tan model cause I would love to see one of those
Attached Thumbnails
A23F6774-E083-4ADD-8AD6-5F7D6CCB040E.jpeg   459C7CED-08BF-4315-974D-F5B8E91F9815.jpeg  

Last edited by rbsoto8; 01-02-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 AM

Did your gun come in that color scheme? I like the black trigger.

Is there a difference between the stainless LW and custom LW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsoto8 View Post
My 9mm lw had 2 of the grip bushings cross threaded from kimber...I removed them and chased them and cleaned them up and all is good now...I’m guessing the aluminum frame is a little softer so be careful when u remove the grips...other than that this thing is a beauty...I also had the cabelas exclusive model that was a 9mm in tru tan but unfortunately the backorder got cancelled so then I went with this model, I’m kinda glad cause I heard the tan finish isn’t very durable...anyone else here have a tru tan model cause I would love to see one of those
Old 01-03-2020, 04:08 AM

It came stock with this color scheme with the blacked out parts including the trigger...I’m not sure about the custom vs stainless but seeing the stainless were about $20 more I’m guessing it’s the blued model that makes it a custom...I still want the nighstar model but the all blacked model...

Last edited by rbsoto8; 01-03-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:48 AM

Regarding Post 80, in Kimber's marketing/terminology:
Ultra=3" barrel
Compact=4", but with "Ultra"-sized grip
Pro=4"
Custom=5"
When thinking/talking "Kimber" and the word "custom"; just think of the 1911 having a 5" barrel. Also note, sometimes Kimber will entirely leave out the size designation from a model and just have a name, e.g. the "Rapide", even though it's a 5".
Old 01-03-2020, 06:36 AM

Thanks

Im super conflicted. i want a nightstar .45, but i know i won't shoot the .45 too much. It comes down to ammo cost. 15 cents for 9mm vs 26 cents for .45. Thats almost half the cost. I have several. 45 handguns and they don't get much play. I'm tempted to get another copy of this 9mm, just to have it. If they made this exact gun in a 4" 9mm for the same $540, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM

Does the 9mm LW have a ramped barrel? Thinking about a 9mm LW for carry. $539 is too good to pass up for a Kimber.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbark View Post
Does the 9mm LW have a ramped barrel? Thinking about a 9mm LW for carry. $539 is too good to pass up for a Kimber.
Yes it's a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:24 PM

Kimber Full Size Lightweight with External Extractor

A friend has an older 5Ē Kimber lightweight with the external extractor that Iím considering buying. In the dark recesses of my mind I remember something about issues with the external extractors. If you have info on that would you please share it. Thanks and God bless.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
A friend has an older 5” Kimber lightweight with the external extractor that I’m considering buying. In the dark recesses of my mind I remember something about issues with the external extractors. If you have info on that would you please share it. Thanks and God bless.
Kimber's experience with the ext. extractor is "checkered" to put it nicely. Unlike S&W and Sig ext. extractor designs (which are pretty much bulletproof and in my opinion MORE reliable than typical GI), their version was not well designed or thought out and issues started popping up right off. Some ran, some didn't, just as it is with many new models, but the gamble was not worth it for most buyers and it was pretty short lived.

If it is a really good price and VERIFIED to run well, I would buy it.... if it's a "take your chances" kind of thing, such as from a dealer/shop/unknown private buyer.... it would have to be a give-away price for me.

To add to the Custom LW discussion at hand: I picked up a Nightstar LW in 45 before Xmas, and was actually going in for the Arctic version, but the stainless controls on the blue/black slide & frame won me over.

First impressions after disassembly and getting it some Lucas grease where it needs to be (I ALWAYS use Lucas grease with aluminum alloy frames), was that it was well "fit & finished."
I took it out to one of my desert shooting spots the next day and gave it a quick run thru with 2 types of ball (al. cased & brass cased Federal) & 2 brands of HP..... flawless function and great accuracy.
I notice that on several occassion's while shooting that the safety "partially" engages/raises. Not enough to lock it, just putting it in the middle-ground. Not good. While studying the detent-to-safety engagement area, its obvious that the hole on the safety is very shallow and the detent just barey sits on the edge....... easy fix, just deepen the divit enough to capture the detent more securely. Ten minute fix. Accomplished easily and never happened again thru hundreds of rounds. Not the first time I had to do this on a 1911.

Next: After disassembly for a cleaning after that first test run, I feel that the slide rail on each side had a very sharp "ledge" on the corner that I missed on the first inspection, but was pronounced enough to actually catch something if dragged over it......... that sharp edge did exactly what I would expect: wore itself a groove/path right thru the anodizing on the frame in that tight corner. Now there is a nice "pencil line" of silver (raw aluminum) showing in the tight corner of the frame rail the whole length, both sides. Had I caught that at the first cleaning, I would have run a stone over it until gone and no wear-thru in the anodizing.... I did it this time, so the issue won't get worse now, but it could have been avoided had I found it the first time... or better yet, if THEY would have caught it. Sure glad I had plenty of grease on those rails as it drastically cuts down on anodizing wear, and typical lubes just act like cutting oil if something isn't right like burrs or sharp edges!
None-the -less, after a couple decades of dealing with alloy frames on Sig's and S&W 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen autos and experiencing the anodizing wear issues on those.... I'll keep running this one and keep an eye on things.

Next experience: I went to put on a nice set of G10 grips on it. One side came off fine.... the bushings stayed where they should (ON the frame!), but on the other side the bushings came off with THE GRIPS/SCREWS! If you've experienced this, you may understand how this 'can' play out. First thing I inspect is the bushing holes on the frame, to make sure they weren't jacked up.... on an alloy frame that is easy to do and can make for a big mess. Threads in the frame were good.
SO... this means one thing....... the torque used on the bushings was much less than they need... or something I ran into once before: Loctite on the grip SCREWS!
Of course I had to totally mangle the bushings to remove them from the grips/screws. My plastic jawed (non-damaging) pliers wouldn't hold them, nor leather wrapped Knipex pliers... that told me right there they were LOCTITED or somehow seized in there.
So, out comes the Visegrips, and of course they have to be locked on hard enough to mangle the bushing-- I just counted them as gone now, so they are both trashed but the grips are undamaged and the screws didn't shear. AND on the threads of those screws??? Obvious blue Loctite.... and on the threads of the bushing that would go in the frame (where blue LT would be great)? Nothing.
SO now I have to get new bushings, and spend an hour calling all over the city in hopes I don't have to order some and wait on a package during the holiday rush... I find a set of Wilson's at a store on the other side of the city and ask the wife if she would grab them while I hit the hills to shoot some guns that aren't pissing me off at the moment!
Since the set was for four, I decided to just change the other side so they are all Wilson and the balance of the world isn't offset... the other two bushings that stayed put?
HAD blue Loctite, which is where it should be if anywhere!!
Too funny.... the goober that installed the bushings obviously had a major brain fart or should turn off his phone... a drop of blue LT on the bushing threads on one side (good thing)... a drop of blue LT on the grip SCREW threads on the other side (bad thing).

Anyways-- despite there being a few issues, I LIKE THIS PIECE. I don't mind minor fixes or addressing small issues, like the safety/detent, but once you start talking about the sharp edge that was left on the slide rails, now your talking QC/machining issues that could affect lifespan of an alloy frame. The bushings? That's just ridiculous... and can be simply stated as poor "workmanship."
Most people never shoot a gun enough to wear out anything, and might miss some of this or even ignore something if they did notice it.... I do shoot a lot so I look at all these things.
Overall, good buy-- it will enter the carry rotation. I may pick up the Arctic in 9mm.... but will definitely scrutinize it heavily before buying, and even more before shooting.

Last edited by azdave357; 01-11-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 AM

The Arctic in 9mm is the one taunting me. Interesting on the Loc Tite. I changed out the grips on my Pro Carry (17 model) to thin grips, so bushing replacement was in order, there was no LocTite at all on it. Maybe Kimber changed something along the way.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 01-22-2020, 06:01 PM

First Kimber, First 9mm 1911

I have a few 45 ACP 1911s, but I just picked up my first 9mm 1911 after finding the stainless LW Kimber for $539. Woo hoo!!!
Old 01-28-2020, 06:07 AM

I have one too. Shot it again, this past sunday. What an excellent handgun. shooting my glock 19 next to it is like shooting my LCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9s View Post
I have a few 45 ACP 1911s, but I just picked up my first 9mm 1911 after finding the stainless LW Kimber for $539. Woo hoo!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/rock.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 PM

Could someone please post a picture of the barrel ramp on your LW .45?

Thank you
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 AM

Monty1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayCnty View Post
Bass Pro/Cabela's is advertising these along with an exclusive version in KimPro Tru Tan, black grips and black small parts.

Not on there website yet. I may have to get one of these.
They are listed for $599.97 either caliber. They give a 5% discount for current and retired military. I got mine (9mm) SS for $569
Old 02-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Sportsman's Warehouse had the LW Stainless on sale for $599. As of today, it has 100 rounds of FMJ and 250 rounds of my LSWC reloads without a single malfunction. My first Kimber. I have five other 1911s including three Colts, a SA, and an STI. Color me a Kimber fan boy.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 PM

I have the 9 mm and have been testing high powered ammo. The stock spring is 12 lbs. I am going to use Underwood 9mm +p.+ 115 grain for security. I shot it today and it ran flawlessly. Also, felt recoil was minimal, meaning I can shoot this load just as accurate as standard ammo. I want to increase the recoil spring. My question is what lbs should I move up to and who should I get it from. I have no experience towards changing these types of parts.

I checked the frame, slide and barrel and all looks fine. Maybe a couple of very small shiny spots that could have always been there. Also checked the spent shell casings and seem ok. Any advice on what to check for on frame, barrel, slide and shell casings would be appreciated also.

I am going to use this round so please provide me with any advice toward above info. I understand the problem about 42000 lbs pressure. I am not going to shoot this ammo after I run another 20 rounds. I am also going to change recoil spring before I test it any further. FYI the velocity approaches 1600 FPS at 115. That’s over 600 ft/lbs. There is video of a Glock 19 reaching 1505 FPS.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunNoob View Post
I have the 9 mm and have been testing high powered ammo. The stock spring is 12 lbs. I am going to use Underwood 9mm +p.+ 115 grain for security. I shot it today and it ran flawlessly. Also, felt recoil was minimal, meaning I can shoot this load just as accurate as standard ammo. I want to increase the recoil spring. My question is what lbs should I move up to and who should I get it from. I have no experience towards changing these types of parts.

I checked the frame, slide and barrel and all looks fine. Maybe a couple of very small shiny spots that could have always been there. Also checked the spent shell casings and seem ok. Any advice on what to check for on frame, barrel, slide and shell casings would be appreciated also.

I am going to use this round so please provide me with any advice toward above info. I understand the problem about 42000 lbs pressure. I am not going to shoot this ammo after I run another 20 rounds. I am also going to change recoil spring before I test it any further. FYI the velocity approaches 1600 FPS at 115. Thatís over 600 ft/lbs. There is video of a Glock 19 reaching 1505 FPS.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Note to self: Never buy a used gun from 3GunNoob!
Ref Kimber manual pgs. 44 & 73
Old 02-26-2020, 09:42 AM

I have shot and used some Underwood +P+ but I think it's around 1300+ fps, which is still hot for 9mm. Where are you seeing those velocities?

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 03-12-2020, 04:40 PM

Do the 9mm LW Kimbers use a 40/10mm breechface? I'm thinking a 38 Super conversion on a 9mm might make a nice carry piece.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Thunder View Post
Do the 9mm LW Kimbers use a 40/10mm breechface? I'm thinking a 38 Super conversion on a 9mm might make a nice carry piece.
Great question! I would like to know, too.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM

Just purchased one and love it can't believe the price as well very good .
This is my 8th Kimber and love 1911 s glad to finally have a lightweight EDC.
Attached Thumbnails
15848165261633520887648757376195_1584816548959.jpg  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM

Awaiting layaway

Greetings folks ,
I have a 45 Nightstar in layaway ... can't wait to make that last payment . Seeing some great hints and iinfo here..... Thank you all for sharing. will post an update after I take possession . My first full size 1911 !