Introducing the Counselor - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Introducing the Counselor

The Counselor is a 9mm, 3.5-inch barrel, 1911 Officer Model, base on a shortened lightweight aluminum frame, complete with an aluminum MSH and grip safety. It sports a brand new slide design with "positive" serrations, the patent-pending Flush-Fit magwell, and much more...https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pist...pact/counselor

https://youtu.be/gMytOm1r-ww
Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM

I saw one of these for sale recently, prior to the official announcement, and kept drooling over it! I think NHC hit it out of the ballpark with this one and not many options need to be added. Personally, I would like mine with a fluted chamber/barrel (not a website drop down menu choice, but I can ask on a phone call…).

The only question I have is this: Is the grip length proprietary? Because of how the mag well is designed it, it would seem to me these are at least 1/4 of an inch shorter than officer size grips That is similar to the Stan Chen magwell and full size grips. It’s important to know that going into the purchase.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:10 PM

I text a friend of mine today and said “Nighthawk has created the perfect carry gun!”

I’m honestly not a big fan of the front cocking serrations but that’s not a knock as I don’t like FCS on any of my guns :-)
Besides that, having a magwell on an officers frame is great! Plus I really like the new BTGS on this one as I have never been a fan of huge beaver tails.
There is just sooooo much right on this gun. Bravo Nighthawk! Bravo!
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 PM

@Ytown1911, the grips are shortened to accommodate the new magwell design. We have the Railscales g10 grips that are pictured and we also have a set of cocobolo grips that will be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Very nice. This is an awesome new model!

Old 09-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Slow clap

Well done......well done
Old 09-24-2019, 09:01 PM

Stunning. Just stunning. I would love one of these in my future.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 PM

Sigh
I’m picky
Changes I’d make (fairly minor)

I understand them and apparently the design aesthetic but I’d request the FCS be deleted

All black Ledge rear sight with gold bead front

Medium LOp solid trigger.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:49 PM

What's the difference between this model and the feather-lite?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Sigh
I’m picky
Changes I’d make (fairly minor)

I understand them and apparently the design aesthetic but I’d request the FCS be deleted

All black Ledge rear sight with gold bead front

Medium LOp solid trigger.
I agree, I'd also like more front strap checkering for the coin.
It's still top of my short list for purchases though.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 PM

I really like these but the gun specific grips are nearly a deal breaker and the $3,700 cost has to be the most expensive base gun price in their line-up
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Well, well, a buddy called me this morning and said he was in a local Pawn Shop yesterday and they had a Counselor that looked like it was damn near un-shot and i should go check it out. Well, I'm pretty excited, it fits very well in the hand and I like the slide and I paid WAY less than MSRP so I can only imagine what they gave the poor fool that pawned this.

I was surprised it was built in April when the first mentions on-line I could find was July.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1109191314.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	567466

Name:	1109191314a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	567468

Name:	1109191315.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	567470
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Well, well, a buddy called me this morning and said he was in a local Pawn Shop yesterday and they had a Counselor that looked like it was damn near un-shot and i should go check it out. Well, I'm pretty excited, it fits very well in the hand and I like the slide and I paid WAY less than MSRP so I can only imagine what they gave

I was surprised it was built in April when the first mentions on-line I could find was July.

Attachment 567466

Attachment 567468

Attachment 567470

Great looking gun, NHC did real good.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:13 PM

Lots of jealousy here. That one ticks all of the boxes for me more or less, other than the price. Let us know how it shoots.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:50 PM

At those prices I would pick up a Glock 26 or 19 (or both) and a ton of ammo.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
At those prices I would pick up a Glock 26 or 19 (or both) and a ton of ammo.

I’d love to have a Counselor. I’ve got a Glock 26 and plenty of 19s and ammo. The Counselor looks like a great little carry gun.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Well guys, I've owned many small 1911's, dozens in the sub 4.25" category and this is by far the easiest shooting, softest shooting and most accurate shooter I have owned. I'm not sure why and since it has an aluminum frame I was expecting more recoil and more difficult follow up shots but nope, this thing is incredibly accurate on double and triple taps and I rapid fire- unloaded entire magazines a few times at 15 and 18 ft ft with 6" groupings.

I did have the mag release go weird on me in this first session with it only wanting to depress halfway and it made getting mags out a b*tch as they had to be pushed out from the top of the gun.... but I took the magazine release apart when I got home and softened a few edges with a file and lubricated it and I think I have it sorted out, at least it depresses all the way down now.

Nighthawk nailed it with this gun, small, light, thin, accurate what else is there?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well guys, I've owned many small 1911's, dozens in the sub 4.25" category and this is by far the easiest shooting, softest shooting and most accurate shooter I have owned. I'm not sure why and since it has an aluminum frame I was expecting more recoil and more difficult follow up shots but nope, this thing is incredibly accurate on double and triple taps and I rapid fire- unloaded entire magazines a few times at 15 and 18 ft ft with 6" groupings.

I did have the mag release go weird on me in this first session with it only wanting to depress halfway and it made getting mags out a b*tch as they had to be pushed out from the top of the gun.... but I took the magazine release apart when I got home and softened a few edges with a file and lubricated it and I think I have it sorted out, at least it depresses all the way down now.

Nighthawk nailed it with this gun, small, light, thin, accurate what else is there?
So I understand you have owned several WC Sentinels. How would you compare size, fit, shooting, etc. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Sentinels are to small (and I don't have large hands). I had two built and sold them as they were just uncomfortable in the hand

Name:	1106171029a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	569540

Sentinel compacts currently which I have two (one in 9mm and 1 in 38 super) are pretty damn nice guns.

Name:	Sentinel 38S.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	569542

Name:	Sentinel Compact_9mm.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	569544

This Counselor is a cut above, it feels lighter, is thinner, the slide treatment is pretty nice in person (and I'm not a front serration guy) and the integrated magwell is very nice. Maybe having limited grips options is a drawback, I'm OK with that for the moment

Name:	1109191314.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	569546

Name:	1109191315.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	569548

All in all, after shooting this several times I would say it's the best, most accurate, easiest shooting compact I have ever owned and I have owned them all
Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Sentinels are to small (and I don't have large hands). I had two built and sold them as they were just uncomfortable in the hand

Attachment 569540

Sentinel compacts currently which I have two (one in 9mm and 1 in 38 super) are pretty damn nice guns.

Attachment 569542

Attachment 569544

This Counselor is a cut above, it feels lighter, is thinner, the slide treatment is pretty nice in person (and I'm not a front serration guy) and the integrated magwell is very nice. Maybe having limited grips options is a drawback, I'm OK with that for the moment

Attachment 569546

Attachment 569548

All in all, after shooting this several times I would say it's the best, most accurate, easiest shooting compact I have ever owned and I have owned them all

That’s encouraging. Thank you for the comparison and the photos.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Much appreciated AZ.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Attachment 569540

Attachment 569542

Attachment 569544

Attachment 569546

Attachment 569548

Any chance we could see a pic of the Counselor in your hand? I like the idea of this, but I keep thinking that the width of the mag well will fall in a strange palm location.

If the mag well was added to a standard officer-length grip it would be perfect for me, but I suspect it will be too high as is.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobconroy75 View Post
Any chance we could see a pic of the Counselor in your hand? I like the idea of this, but I keep thinking that the width of the mag well will fall in a strange palm location.

If the mag well was added to a standard officer-length grip it would be perfect for me, but I suspect it will be too high as is.
Was thinking the same along with the lack of front strap checkering,I bet some full thickness grips would negate the former.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:29 PM

This is a pistol I need to look into>

JW
Old 12-12-2019, 05:24 PM

I’m anxious to handle one. Heard a LGS just got one in and I will go over there tomorrow. I’ve got a T4 and I like everything about it except the weight. Seems like the older I get the more sensitive I am to weight.
In days past I had a Dan Wesson ECO, another 3.5 barrel pistol. But, I never could get it to run reliably. Was a big disappointment. It wasn’t as pricey as the Nighthawks but wasn’t cheap either. My mom used to say that a shoe that does not fit is no bargain at any price.
Bill Wilson Carry .45, Wilson EDCx9, Ed Brown Cobra, Nighthawk T3 & T4, Springfield TRP, Springfield LW Champion Operator, all Kimber Aegis II's, all Kimber Raptors, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson Guardian, Dan Wesson CCO, Colt Commander 70 series, Sig C3.