Convince Me I Need A 38 Super...Please! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Convince Me I Need A 38 Super...Please!

I’ve owned and still own Colt Governments, Commanders, Officers ACP and Defenders in 45 ACP and 9mm. However, I’ve never owned a 38 Super, but have always had a bit of a hankering for one. Now that the Classic is available in 38 Super I’m giving it some serious thought, contingent on my financial secretary, aka my wife, making the funds available. LOL. The drawback for me is the cost of ammo (I don’t handload).

I’m easy to convince, with logical justification. It would be primarily a range gun which would be carried infrequently. Why should I invest in one when I can get, for less money, a Classic in 45?

Thanks in advance for your input and God bless.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Apparently you know all about the .45. It's always beneficial to study unknown subjects. The .38 super has apparently called your interest. It's always best to educate yourself with a actual model.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM

It's hard to say anyone needs a 38 Super. What could be better than a 1911 in 45 ACP?

I just picked up a 38 Super a few weeks ago. I had never had one or even shot one, but was attracted to the venerable old cartridge for it's history, initially.

Even so, looking at performance, the 38 Super is a nice cartridge on it's own. It's no .357 Magnum, but it can be loaded to close to 357 Sig specs. It sort of falls between a 9mm and a 357 Sig. Which makes for a pretty nice round.

So far, I've really enjoyed shooting my 38 Super. It's a very nice round to shoot out of a 1911 (I can't speak to other firearms.). So, for range fun, I give it a thumbs up. Once I've gotten a couple more hundred rounds through mine, and developed a load I'm comfortable with, mine will likely see some carry time. 9 or 10+1 rounds of zippy 9mm managed by a 1911 seems like a fine carry pistol to me.

Where the 38 Super might have an edge over the 45 ACP could be in the role of a trail pistol. A bit flatter shooting than a 45, the 38 Super would seem to make a nice rabbit or grouse pistol. It would serve well as a wolf, coywolf, or black bear defense pistol. I live in grizzly country, so 44 Magnum is my go-to woods round, but the 38 Super with good ammunition would fill my needs for non-grizzly concerns and be a better hunting round.

While I love my 45 ACP, I'm warming up to the 38 Super.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Personally, I'd stick with the 45acp and 9mm if you don't handload.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
Iíve owned and still own Colt Governments, Commanders, Officers ACP and Defenders in 45 ACP and 9mm. However, Iíve never owned a 38 Super, but have always had a bit of a hankering for one. Now that the Classic is available in 38 Super Iím giving it some serious thought, contingent on my financial secretary, aka my wife, making the funds available. LOL. The drawback for me is the cost of ammo (I donít handload).

Iím easy to convince, with logical justification. It would be primarily a range gun which would be carried infrequently. Why should I invest in one when I can get, for less money, a Classic in 45?

Thanks in advance for your input and God bless.
Buy ammo online and the price is a lot cheaper. Iíve seen them down to $15/box of 50 balls.

The extractor seems to be well tuned unlike the .45íand 9mm models. I have probably 15 of the Colt .38 Supers in both Series 80 and 70 and none chuck brass to my face.

Also they seem to be more accurate.

Finally itís more cool and make you feel like youíre El Chapo or something.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Look at the rounds. Below a 9mm (9x19) on the left and then a 38 Super (9x23SR). Next a good ol' 45ACP and on the right a 10mm (10x25).

I think if one likes 1911s then one needs a 38 Super. Several years ago I bought a 1991 in 38 Super. My wife calls it my "Dillinger Gun". I tell her it is more like the great grandson of one he might have carried.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:49 AM

I shoot a Baer Mono Heavyweight in 38 Super and it's a blast. Crazy accurate. One inch 30 yd groups and really flat shooting out to 120 yds or so.

You need one.

Everybody needs one.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:57 PM

If you want to try a Super before you heavily invest in one, you could always just get a barrel for one of your 9mms...

I've been a Super Shooter since 1980... 90+ percent of my 1911 shooting is done in .38 Super...the other 10% is split between 10mm, .45 ACP, .45 Super. .40 S&W and .22 LR...

I could get rid of the rest of the calibers and just have a couple of Supers and be very happy for the rest of my shooting life...
Moderate recoil
Flat shooting
Hard hitting
Extreme accuracy
Great penetration
..and if I run out of ammo I just drop in a 9mm barrel and find some ammo at a local store...

..what's not to like...

Bob
Old 11-28-2019, 07:21 PM

If this post doesn’t convince you then I don’t know what would.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:08 PM

I have the same model that dakota posted and shot it alongside an RIA 9mm and to be perfectly honest I couldn't tell the difference in felt recoil. I got it as someone said above, because of its role in the history of the Colt Government model, but I didn't find it noticeably different from the 9mm.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:00 PM

Iím pretty close to convinced. FNFALMAN, what brand holster is shown in the photo of your shiny 38 Super? Mighty fine looking pistol pouch!

God bless
Old 11-29-2019, 03:49 AM

I have a couple supers. I've got a plain Jane government just like Dakota's that Ive dressed up with some USGI parts. Poor mans attempt to make it into a just after WW2 commercial pistol. The other is a Tall edition light weight commander. That one I purchased right around the time of Sandy Hook. Im glad I did because people in my area went bonkers buying up all the common ammo and 38 super was readily available. It's a great carry piece, actually both of them are. Its a neat caliber with a neat story.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Iím pretty close to convinced.

God bless
It wasnít clear if you have shot any 38 super? I never did prior to getting my NN CCO. Its a great caliber and a lot of fun to shoot. Btw, i dont handload either.
Get it..
Attached Thumbnails
6267A3A4-4D68-4481-8066-B0CA4A49F9C0.jpeg  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 AM

I had the same considerations as well.

For carry, the case length of the .38super inspires more confidence in feeding reliability in my mind, at least. Velocity gains with factory ammo weren't much of an incentive to me. Reloading manual data hasn't done enough to convince me, either.

My 9mm 1911s were planned for range use so the feed concerns are negated. Also further tipping me towards the 9mm was the fact range ammo was much, much cheaper and easier to also find locally.

The feeding issues I had with my 9mm 5" Springfield RO have been limited to just the initial range sessions and with new magazines being used the very first time, too. (First session had the new mags that came with the gun.....the next session found me using the new mags I bought with the "loaded" coupon that came with the gun).

I'm going to try another new 9mm, DW Valor Commander, which may be carried....depending on how it runs.

For a range gun....the 9mm was the clear choice for me when I made such choices.

I'm getting my reloading gear set up now....down the road....way down the road...I may give the .38super another look....but quite frankly I'll have my 1911 dance card filled with 9mm, 45acp and 10mm.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Iím pretty close to convinced. FNFALMAN, what brand holster is shown in the photo of your shiny 38 Super? Mighty fine looking pistol pouch!

God bless
Thatís the floral carved 1AT from Milt Sparks Leathers.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:42 AM

My experience with 38 Super started back in the 70s. I had traded into an old gov with about 500 rounds of fired brass and the reloading dies. After about a year or so I traded it off with about 400 rounds of more fired brass and the reloading dies. I was not impressed. Of course back in those days Colt head spaced the 38 Super on the semi rim.

Flash forward to 2009 and a friend bought an XSE LW Commander in 38 Super. It is in the middle with a 2006 XSE LW Commander in 45ACP on top and a 2015 XSE LW Commander in 9mm on the bottom. I was standing behind my friend when he bought it and knowing he did not reload I reminded him 38 Super was sort of pricey. After about 6 months he sold it to me for about $100 less than he paid for it.

Initially I felt I would just fit a 9mm barrel to it, which I did. I got a Nowlin "drop in" barrel and bushing (let us all stop and laugh a lot over "drop in"). Yes it took a lot work fitting it to the pistol. Also, at least around here, there was a period where 9mm was almost impossible to find where 38 Super (and 10mm) was around at a couple bucks more per box of 50. I was also becoming impressed with the accuracy of the 38 Super. Found out it was about 1986 that Colt started to head space it on the front of the case and not the semi rim. Anyway I ordered reloading dies in 38 Super and now reload for it, plus there is now even more of it in local gun stores (not to mention online) at cheaper prices.

That lead to me getting the 1991 Gov. and last year, wanting one with adjustable sights, I bought a Gold Cup Lite in 38 Super. Another lovely pistol. Below field stripped soon after I bought it.

I would probably have more 1911s in 38 Super but I sort of got diverted down the 10mm road, but that is another topic.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:59 AM

You definately need one!

I bought a Colt government model in .38 Super a couple of years ago. I liked it so much that I bought a Les Baer custom carry in .38 super this last spring. It is a great round, kind of like what 9X19 wants to be when it grows up.

And if you look around you can get cheap range ammo here and there. SG ammo has some cheap offerings right now like Armscor for 30 cents a round.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-su...cor-ammunition
Old 11-29-2019, 12:29 PM

I guess I will add mine...

Old 11-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
...For carry, the case length of the .38super inspires more confidence in feeding reliability in my mind, at least. Velocity gains with factory ammo weren't much of an incentive to me. Reloading manual data hasn't done enough to convince me, either.

Also further tipping me towards the 9mm was the fact range ammo was much, much cheaper and easier to also find locally....For a range gun....the 9mm was the clear choice for me when I made such choices.

I'm getting my reloading gear set up now....down the road....way down the road...I may give the .38super another look....
Dub, I edited your post to reflect the relevant concerns regarding having, shooting, reloading .38 Super. I've posted this link a number of times, so forgive me to those who've seen it before...https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...38-super/99160

I purchased a used base model 1991 in .38 Super, but couldn't motivate myself to take it to the range with .38 Super range ammo that's about equivalent to 9mm. At least with 9mm, it's cheap and easy to shoot (eg. let the brass fly!). A downside of shooting quality, handloaded .38 Super (meaning Starline brass - if you read the article at the link above) means you also want to collect all of your beautiful Starline brass for reloading.

Now that I've purchased the Starline +P brass, Accurate #7 powder and a selection of bullets, I'm ready to see what the big deal is about .38 Super. Naturally, now that I'm this far, a new Classic in stainless steel nags at me despite that I have a Colt 9mm barrel for the 1991. A first world problem, as they say...
Old 11-30-2019, 06:08 AM

If you don’t reload, the entire experience can be:

1.) Very expensive.
2.) a little disappointing.

The 38 Super is a reloaders dream, and can be loaded for all occasions from range plinking to Hot, Hot, Hot! The cost to reload 38 Super isn’t too much more than reloading 9mm. The 38 Super uses the same bullets and primers (just a little more powder). Personally, I’d stick with shooting your 9mms, based on factory ammo cost and availability. JMHO. Or better yet, take up reloading!!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 AM

I don't have time to reload anymore, and as a big fan of the Super I don't find it all that expensive if I shop on line. Compared to 9 it's a lot, compared to good 45 or 10mm ammo no it's not.

Excellent "real" 38 Super ammo available from Underwood and Corbon too.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned or if it matters, but it's kind of a purist thing...the .38 Super was designed specifically for the 1911. I just picked up a one of 250 Talo Edition. Haven't shot it yet and a little disappointed in the quality but it is a modern-age production gun.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM

I just bought a 1911 Classic 38 Super to go with my 45. It's a... well... Classic!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Robinson View Post
I just bought a 1911 Classic 38 Super to go with my 45. It's a... well... Classic!
Blue or stainless steel?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcut View Post
Blue or stainless steel?
Mine are both blued. And I swapped out the main spring housings for grooved arched housings.