Chicago PD Rocking WC Guns! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Chicago PD Rocking WC Guns!

On a recent episode of Chicago PD, Officer Kevin Atwater (LaRoyce Hawkins) was rocking a Wilson EDC-X9 to the back of a perp's head in one scene. Love watching TV and seeing stuff like this! His partner was rocking a Sig P320 Compact!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't watch much TV, but it is surprising that the writers know enough "gun stuff" to even know what an EDC X9 is. Pleasant surprise!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 10-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Not writers, it's the technical advisors. The good popular TV shows have advisors and prop managers that work together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddymike View Post
On a recent episode of Chicago PD, Officer Kevin Atwater (LaRoyce Hawkins) was rocking a Wilson EDC-X9 to the back of a perp's head in one scene. Love watching TV and seeing stuff like this! His partner was rocking a Sig P320 Compact!

Yeah but did you notice he cocked the hammer just as he pointed it at the perp. Lame!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should be thankful to both
Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 PM

I was hoping you saw a real Chicago PD officer rocking a WC while on duty.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:18 PM

I could see them flicking off the safety. But cocking the hammer? Really?
Old 11-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool45 View Post
Perhaps from the same acting/screenwriting school as those who had Nicole Kidman manually "cock" the hammer of a 1911 in "The Interpreter".

Not doubt it scared the daylights out of the bad guy and totally convinced the leftists-leaning members of the audience that she meant business Yessirree.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 11-04-2019, 06:52 PM

These guys throw rocks at their firearms?
Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool45 View Post

Itís almost mandatory to have some sort of cocking sound in gun confrontation scenes. Flicking the safety isnít loud enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Administrator

It's also mandatory to have a gun that will go click-click-click when empty... even if the slide is locked back.

While its interesting to see the guns that show up on film or on TV, I put no stock in it otherwise. Most guns used are chosen for their striking looks, not whether they're actually the choice of real cops. That's why we continue to see cops being issued chromed Desert Eagles and $5000 comped double-stack 1911s. If they were REAL cops they couldn't afford either!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:10 PM

On NCIS Jethro carries a 1911, even when going in harms way, the hammer is never cocked, drives me nuts. That show has been on long enough to get it right.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It's also mandatory to have a gun that will go click-click-click when empty... even if the slide is locked back.

While its interesting to see the guns that show up on film or on TV, I put no stock in it otherwise. Most guns used are chosen for their striking looks, not whether they're actually the choice of real cops. That's why we continue to see cops being issued chromed Desert Eagles and $5000 comped double-stack 1911s. If they were REAL cops they couldn't afford either!
I remember one movie where the villian of all villians used a TC Contender to make long range devistating shots on innocents and at the good guys. Not a sight nor optic on it. LOL
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Have you noticed . . .

Have you noticed though that it's always the older, more experienced, senior level, AND most knowledgable characters in the shows all have 1911's.

Like Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) and David Rossi (Criminal Minds), etc. etc.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. All in good fun
Old 11-26-2019, 09:15 PM

I don't watch much TV, but did watch a show called "Longmire". It was about a Sheriff in a made-up county in Wyoming. However, I while I loved the main character's choice in a sidearm (looked like a well worn Colt 1911 with barked stag grips) I really struggled with some of the gun handling / gun related scenes.

First, the Sheriff carried the gun hammer down on a live round.
Second, he fired a round in the air and when the camera cut to him the gun was still pointing up with his hand no-where near the hammer ... but ... the hammer was down on a closed slide.
Third, the Sheriff hears the distinct "shuck shuck" sound of a shotgun behind him. He turns around and the guy is holding a double barrel break action.

I guess this isn't as bad as shows in the 1980's wherein people could fire 100 rounds without reloading... or ... maybe its worse.

Back to reading history books for me.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:43 PM

And why is it that every other "1-shot" 1911 gunfight by the good guy results in a locked slide?

Now I know what I'm doing wrong. Seems like you are only supposed to carry one in the pipe.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 PM

For starters, no cheap ass Chicago cop would bring his WC out on a run. Secondly, et me tel you from living here they shoot those Glocks without a second thought. Toughest gun laws in the country, best police i have ever met, severa are good friends, but our murder rate is going to break 500 in a week or two.
Hello to a of my old and new friends. Let me just mention Tressa at WC, Grandpa 50 and BigDaddy mike. All solid people. Will be back on the board now that junior has his homework down.
WD!
God Bless America, the greatest country on earth.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 PM

Let me add the dog pee'd on my keyboard so the L does not always work. Ahh, the joys of family!
God Bless America, the greatest country on earth.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Well apparently the "P" still works.

Hollyweird is never going to get all the details right in any movie or TV show about cops, soldiers, or anything else involving guns for that matter. I still remember people saying how Bruce Willis in the original 1988 Die Hard should've been carrying a K-frame .38 revolver since he was an NYPD cop, but then again it's pretty hard to say "Yippee-ki-yay" throughout the film if you're having to stop and reload halfway through each "Yippee..."
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back brother.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well apparently the "P" still works.
I saw that...

(+1911)

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself