Lubriplate Experience - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 04:38 PM

Lubriplate Experience

If you have used Lubriplate in your firearms what was your experience. Good, bad or indifferent? I would love to get your take on the product. I personally have never used it, but do have an interest in it based on the article in the link below. Thanks for your input.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...brication-101/
Old 07-30-2019, 05:59 PM

I don’t use lubriplate. I use a moly anti seeze or a moly paste. There is an application to follow.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM

I have not used Lubriplate on firearms. However, I would give serious consideration to any recommendation from Mr. Cunningham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 PM

Its the go-to lube for the M1A.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 PM

I use it to hold small springs and other parts in place during assembly. The Lucas grease works but sometime I want something a little lighter.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 PM

I use Lubriplate L0034-094 No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease some in the summer. It seems to tighten up an old 1911.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 PM

Seems to me we used it in USMC boot camp in the 60's. Surely there are better lubes now.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Its the go-to lube for the M1A.
...and M1s.

It just seems natural.

I've never had an issue with it, never had it dry out, melt out, or fail to provide lubrication.

I'm sure there are many synthetic products on the market that work as well and probably better. I will admit to using those products on more modern gun, but the old stuff gets the real thing.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K38 View Post
...Surely there are better lubes now.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Weaponshield/videos

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:28 PM

There are different formulation of Lubriplate. I haven't used any on firearms but I do use one formulation that's a special order on my camera ---it has the consistency of peanut butter.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:28 AM

I sent a guy who complained about the finish wearing off on his m14 op rod. I sent him some moly to test. He reblued his op rod and used moly to lube it, after a few outings the blueing was still there thus no wear it’s eliminated.

To test any lube disassembly your 1911, ( no ammo present on the table) empty the slide, remove the mag. Clean and dry the 1911, make sure the frame rails are squeaky clean and dry. Apply your lube to the rails and grooves. Work the slide on the rails. Now wipe it completely dry and run the slide on the rails again. It’s dragging now right?

Try the same thing with moly. The slide and rails will be smooth even after the moly is wiped off after lapping the moly in. Moly gets into the pores of the metal and wears against itself. Thus no wear, less friction, prevents galling, fights corrosion.

Last edited by 1911crazy; 07-31-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 PM

Lubriplate 105 assembly lube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit View Post
If you have used Lubriplate in your firearms what was your experience. Good, bad or indifferent? I would love to get your take on the product. I personally have never used it, but do have an interest in it based on the article in the link below. Thanks for your input.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...brication-101/

Lubriplate 105 is about the same consistency as Wilson's Ultima Lube that some people swear by. I've used both and can't tell any difference except in price. The Ultima lube was about $6 per ounce. The Lubriplate 105 was about $6 for 8 ounces!

Most people "over" lube their guns and use lubricants that are too thick.

Regular ATF or 5W20 or 5W30 automotive oil is all that is necessary for rotating parts and "thin" greases like "105" are fine for slides and barrel contact areas in warm weather. Below about 40 degrees ATF works just fine on slides and barrels too

Shooting at ranges in AZ when it's 105 degrees and the PNW in winter at 20 degrees has proven the value of changing lubes when appropriate.

There are plenty of threads that offer advice on every snake oil out there...!

Smiles,
Old 08-01-2019, 02:36 AM

One more benefit for assembly grease (Lubriplate 130-A or other brand) is when that small spring or part/pin does get away from you, the grease will take much of the bounce out. You can hear that splat sound and know it stuck. Use the brand of your choice...but many of us love the Lubriplate. Both plungers and the spring got away from me just hours ago. Splat on the floor, plungers and spring were together where they hit! When I heard the sound, I smiled. One more note: Because a can will last forever (almost) they decided to become marketing savvy and politically correct. There is now an expiration date labeled on the tin! I call BS. Ask any mechanic (auto or aircraft), it last until empty or borrowed and/or not returned. Get some, you’ll love the sound.

Last edited by STORM2; 08-01-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM

After skin reactions to atf and other auto and gun lubes, I sought out something new... That article resonated with me and the oil itself seemed like a better product, and I bought into the food grade idea may not cause a reaction from my skin. Best oil I've used. [been using it since that article was first posted on the forum, many years ago] It stays put, thick enough that it won't dry up and guns run like a sewing machine.

Sure, it may be expensive for oil but still less than a single Rx co-pay for the creme to clear up the rash from the other oils, not to mention the trip to see the Dr. And if you don't overlube it lasts a long, long time.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:38 AM

1911 crazy - steel does not have "pores".
Old 08-01-2019, 12:01 PM

My dad was a competitor & had a number of 1911's, he swore by his Lubriplate,
I tried it when I started shooting, BUT NOW, I use mostly 40w MOBIL 1 on all moving parts, & now as substitute for dads RIG on exterior surfaces. WORKS great for ME.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:55 PM

The auto lubes irritate my skin.

I use Lubriplate grease on firearms bolts and cam surfaces...and whatever decent CLP I can get cheap or free for everything else.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Ahhhh… Nothing better than yet another lube thread on 1911Forum. The stickie Lube thread of 33 pages is not enough?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=353412

How bout a moratorium on lube threads?

Oh.. by the way... what's better... 9 or 45?

Last edited by pyunker45; 08-01-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
Ahhhh… Nothing better than yet another lube thread on 1911Forum. The stickie Lube thread of 33 pages is not enough?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=353412

How bout a moratorium on lube threads?

Oh.. by the way... what's better... 9 or 45?
In the voice of Sgt Hulka- "Lighten up, Francis!"

It's in the gunsmithing forum... which I'm sure a lot of people don't visit. (and it's up to 49 pages now!)

You could just not click on lube threads?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
In the voice of Sgt Hulka- "Lighten up, Francis!"

It's in the gunsmithing forum... which I'm sure a lot of people don't visit. (and it's up to 49 pages now!)

You could just not click on lube threads?
Yeah, you are right, but my insane desire to troll is very strong today.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 PM

Ruger has a video on how to lube their 1911 but I'm willing to bet it'll serve just fine for others. They even mention specific areas in which to add grease such as the inside of the bushing. Lubriplate is good stuff and I like Lucas as well. So many to choose from.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:59 AM

I found a white waterproof bearing grease at the automotive store that is a perfect match with the Wilson grease. It now resides in the tube that was an empty Wilson item. $6.00 for a tub and it will last several lifetimes.

Oils are various Mobile 1 synthetics. A gun doesn’t even come close to a 12,000 RPM bike. If it will keep it together it will do fine in your gun.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:26 AM

I have a 14oz can of 130-A Lubriplate in my cabinet. I wrote 8-13-09 on the bottom of it. I've only used it on my firearms and with good results, I may add. There is about 1/3 left in the can after 10 years. I will buy another
Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
1911 crazy - steel does not have "pores".
It has micro pores