Problem with Winchester white box 9mm range ammo running on nighthawk custom 1911 !!! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Constantly hitting a 12" gong at 20 yards one handed with no malfunctions is the only WWB reference I can provide. For inexpensive range ball ammo, what else is there to say?
Actually, there is quite a bit to say. Just try out PMC (for example). Thatís just one alternative. Far more accurate, usually less expensive, cleaner burning, very consistent, great brass, always available, and a partridge in a pear tree. Put the two on paper, youíll see what I mean. You will be amazed at gun cleanup too.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:05 PM

From my experience with an FN 45 which had trouble feeding WWB what I determined is they are loaded longer than most .45 acp. When I seated WWB a little shorter they worked in the FNP45. They are dirty also. I like the winchester brass for reloading so I buy it sometimes when I need brass.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Actually, there is quite a bit to say. Just try out PMC (for example). That’s just one alternative. Far more accurate, usually less expensive, cleaner burning, very consistent, great brass, always available, and a partridge in a pear tree. Put the two on paper, you’ll see what I mean. You will be amazed at gun cleanup too.
I do shoot a lot of PMC and it's good stuff. PMC gets the nod when it's equal or lower in price to WWB.

Speaking of the soot from WWB---it really depends. 20 years ago WWB was pretty clean while UMC left those soot deposits. The last time I tried UMC it was shot much cleaner than I'd remembered, while WWB loaded my .45 (and me) with soot.
I still avoid UMC though!
Lesson: when you're shooting bargain ammo manufacturers will use whatever components that will help meet the expected price point.
I've never had a reliability issue with WWB and the JHP load is pretty darned good (and clean) in my estimation. Of course it costs twice as much as the ball.
YMMV of course.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 AM

it's not the ammo, it's your gun thats finicky on ammo!

Ive been using WWB for over 20 years and never had a problem, except for a couple of dud rounds out of many 1000's fired, this could happen with any brand.

I use WWB, Winchester service Grade, S&B, Federal, MAGTECH , Aguila, Fiocchi , UMC , all work fine in my guns
Old 06-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

Ive been using WWB for over 20 years and never had a problem, except for a couple of dud rounds out of many 1000's fired, this could happen with any brand.

I use WWB, Winchester service Grade, S&B, Federal, MAGTECH , Aguila, Fiocchi , UMC , all work fine in my guns
My experience as well.
I handload so when I do buy factory ball, one feature I want to be getting good brass to augment my collection.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

Some guns will eat anything. Especially those that are ďlooseĒ. Blasting away with a mixed bag of ammo, making dirt fly and chasing cans is one thing. A particular weapon with tight tolerances that may be finicky with junk ammo will far exceed the accuracy of the before mentioned rattletrap, especially with premium ammo. Some of the finest things on the planet are ďfinickyĒ, but you canít touch them when they do what they are supposed to do.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsingh View Post
I am no expert on 1911 .. i have used em in the past and buy them in bulk ... no problems with my Wilsonís but yesterday took my brand new never fired safe queen nighthawk t4 to the range planned to run at least 500 rounds but got tired after running 200 rounds with multiple jams failure to extract from the pipe ...called nighthawk today explained the problem . The 1st thing they asked surprisingly are u running Winchester white box 9mm and not to run those ... apparently they mention thatís just about the only ammo they are aware of that does not work well with nighthawk customs .
Well didnít had anything else to ask until i run other brands Thru this pistol to draw my conclusion if something is wrong with this brand new pistol ...
Not sure if you guys have similar experience ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been a week, have you got a different brand of ammo and gone back to the range?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Some guns won't cycle with WWB. My guns love it tho.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Winchesters ammo QC has dropped a lot in last couple of years.

We quit using it at work, lack of QC was the reason. We are a large Dept. and our range spoke to Winchester several times about issues. Winchester did not care.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Ya know, you would almost think that the opposite mind frame would make sense. Pay attention to the manufacture of our lower price point stuff. The volume stuff that everybody buys. They will be happy with it and become brand loyal. When it comes time for them to buy premium, they will stick with the brand that got them there. Pretty sad........Remington has already lost the war.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
Winchesters ammo QC has dropped a lot in last couple of years.

We quit using it at work, lack of QC was the reason. We are a large Dept. and our range spoke to Winchester several times about issues. Winchester did not care.

Winchester products started taking a dump when they started selling off parts of the company. That means this has been a continual problem for a long time, and extends over their entire line of products to some degree or another.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2019, 06:13 PM

+1 for inconsistent powder charge.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM

A tighter 5" pistol might indeed have issues with ammo a bit lighter in the power spectrum...

Try an 8-10 lb recoil spring if/when using ammo that struggles to avoid stovepiping...; once you fire 3,000 rounds thru a given 16 lb spring, it's now 12 lbs anyway...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 AM

When you buy cheaper line of ammo with in a brand and try to run it in handguns with tight chambers you should expect some kind of problems can show up .

With any new to you or new lot number of ammo check some randomly picked ammo in a case gauge and or plunk test that stuff before going to a range .

I prefer to start any new to me pistols with a top quality ammo , +P if the handgun is rated for it . Most times my first rounds fired are what I plan to carry .

Once you find a reliable ammo practice ammo 50 or 100 rounds set aside to use it as a proof load if you do you have problems in the furture like you have with this WWB fodder . You can load a mag full or two of your know reliable ammo to check if the problem is the handgun or the ammo .
Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
A tighter 5" pistol might indeed have issues with ammo a bit lighter in the power spectrum...

Try an 8-10 lb recoil spring if/when using ammo that struggles to avoid stovepiping...; once you fire 3,000 rounds thru a given 16 lb spring, it's now 12 lbs anyway...
Probably the top reasons we see handguns returned to the place of purchase! Of course that excludes the obvious junk.
Whadda ya mean I gotta clean it first, didnít it come clean?
I hafta break it in? How do I do that?
I used the ďMega PackĒ (not to be confused with MAGA hat) from UMC.
Limpwristers
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post

Try an 8-10 lb recoil spring if/when using ammo that struggles to avoid stovepiping...; once you fire 3,000 rounds thru a given 16 lb spring, it's now 12 lbs anyway... [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Probably the top reasons we see handguns returned to the place of purchase! Of course that excludes the obvious junk.
Whadda ya mean I gotta clean it first, didn’t it come clean?
I hafta break it in? How do I do that?
I used the “Mega Pack” (not to be confused with MAGA hat) from UMC.
Limpwristers
I’ve had many frustrating conversation with good ol boys at work who insist that (insert brand here) is junk because they had a jam of some type on their first putting. Usually followed by a “why would I clean a new gun?” And of course they didn’t bother to read up on break in, they have been shooting their whole life. It’s like talking to a wall. And WWB functions fine in all of my pistols but that is some incredibly dirty ammo. I hate cleaning after a Range day using that stuff
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 AM

So many of these guys have inherited guns that are totally broken in from their relatives. They have no idea how to work a new gun in. I have seen people drag a brand new Henry lever back in and say it doesnít load very well. They shot 20 rounds through it! It took me probably 1000 rounds of cycling mine to get it nice and smooth. Same guys stomp on the accelerator of a brand new car. Not that most canít take it, but címon........
Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Well in this case gun itself is a culprit .... used 5 other brands monarch American eagle Remington blaser all 50 rounds each with several fail to eject and feed . Surprisingly Barnes shot two boxes of 20round hollow self defense went very smoothly and little to no recoil felt . 1st time shot Barnes very impressed .... nighthawk was nice enough top notch customer service to send me shipping label and fixing my gun right now ... canít wait it get it back !!!
Will update

Old 06-13-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well in this case gun itself is a culprit .... used 5 other brands monarch American eagle Remington blaser all 50 rounds each with several fail to eject and feed . Surprisingly Barnes shot two boxes of 20round hollow self defense went very smoothly and little to no recoil felt . 1st time shot Barnes very impressed .... nighthawk was nice enough top notch customer service to send me shipping label and fixing my gun right now ... canít wait it get it back !!!
Will update

Barnes ammo is exceptionally well feeding and soft shooting while maintaining excellent terminal performance. One of my two favorites with the other being HST.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Will update

That is an amazing happenstance. It will work perfectly when you get it back. They will track down the corner cutter when they find out who did the QA.
He will be fed to the pigs!!
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Problem with Winchester white box 9mm range ammo running on nighthawk custom 1911 !!!

Cannot wait to get it back ..... as per nighthawk rep last week he mentioned the gunsmith tuned the extractor or replaced not sure might take another week or so canít wait
Ran about 1000 rounds of same ammo thru my Wilson and Ed brown no hiccups what so ever

Old 06-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Cannot wait to get it back ..... as per nighthawk rep last week he mentioned the gunsmith tuned the extractor or replaced not sure might take another week or so canít wait
Ran about 1000 rounds of same ammo thru my Wilson and Ed brown no hiccups what so ever

Yep........probably didn't need to lube them the whole time too.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 AM

It is a little disheartening that a hawk flew out of its nest with an extractor problem. That price point should come with better testing. Wouldnít sway me from a purchase though.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM

I have shot a lot of WWB without any issues in a number of different guns, but it may not be hot enough for your Nighthawk. It is new (not broken-in) hence the springs are stiff and it may need to be given a little time.

Let me explain what my experience has been. I have one NH commander that I have run thousands of my 124/125 gr. cast loads through that runs like a sowing machine. I ordered another one in a light weight version and it would not cycle with these loads even after being well broken-in. I upped the load to max and installed 2 new recoil springs in both guns. My older gun ran great with strong ejection and the new one ran ok but with much weaker ejection. My guess is maybe the extractor is tighter on my new NH than the older one. All factory defensive ammo I have tried runs fine in both. Go figure.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Personally I don't use it because it's not accurate in my guns, on the other hand I just got a couple STI's and the test targets said WWB was used. My brother ran the firearms program for his PD for years before he retired and said that's all he used, literally truck loads of it, for training and never had a problem.
One comment on all cheap ammo I have used is I can't believe how dirty it is.