Ed Brown's new Addition to the Evolution Series the E9. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Ed Brown's new Addition to the Evolution Series the E9.

Just a few months ago the Evolution Series was born with the KC9 being the first. The raving success of the launch and continued interest in the Evolution Series has moved up the introduction of the second model ahead of schedule. The E9 while also completely optimized for 9mm shares the same smaller, thinner, and lighter slide of its predecessor, but that is where the changes begin. The second in the series does not wear the Ed Brown Bobtail it is instead outfitted with a full size grip that is finished off with their latest magazine well that is fully blended and machined from one piece of bar stock. While offering an exceptional opening for speedy mag-changes it was engineered to be lean and trim and perfect for a carry pistol with nothing extra on the outside and well matched to the radius of the grips. No way around it, this mag-well is hard to beat. The new pistol retains the comfortable and proven 1911 controls, so there are no new muscle memories to develop. The E9 also retains the standard 1911 grips, but they look best when matched to the magazine well. This pistol is also provided with the Ed Brown Exclusive Labyrinth Grips to make for a great looking package. Some parts were completely re-designed to take advantage of modern improvements such as the new external extractor, easy-to-change front sight, smaller ledge-style rear sight, bull barrel, and a flat wire recoil spring system. The re-engineered slide has been shortened to 4", thinned substantially for weight reduction, and includes a unique 7-top custom cut, with special front and rear serrations. A recessed slide stop completes the package, making for the perfect custom 9mm 1911 carry gun.

The E9, like all other Ed Brown 1911's is hand-built from fully machined components, loaded with custom features, and backed by a written Lifetime Warranty. What is also unique is the ground-breaking price, first established by the KC9, this pistol while a little more clearly has added features and is still an outstanding value pistol for the money. . These pistols will be built in small, custom, identical batches, utilizing all latest in machining equipment and techniques to get every last bit of efficiency from the build process. The result is an MSRP under $2300, which is a deal that is inviting to new 1911 converts and long time users alike. For more information www.edbrown.com
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Thatís a good lookin pistol. The magwell is a great addition, some extended base pads would be in order.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Says, but doesn't show a recessed slide stop.

Try and find another bull barrel with these features for $2,300. You won't. Paying at least another $1,000-$1,400 from the other quality makers. Lots of nice features at an surprisingly impressive price. If I wasn't having health issues, I'd be adding this to my other Ed Browns.
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Sounds like this won't fit in a standard holster?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 AM

I hope the next one is no mag well, no bobtail... and back down in price...

Two tone looks good...
Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post

Try and find another bull barrel with these features for $2,300. You won't. Paying at least another $1,000-$1,400 from the other quality makers. Lots of nice features at an surprisingly impressive price. If I wasn't having health issues, I'd be adding this to my other Ed Browns.
The KC9 fits a standard leather holster just fine. Given that the slides on these appear to be identical I think you'll be good to go if that's what you're using. Kydex I am unsure of.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 AM

If it's like the KC9, the frame is the same dimensions as a Kobra Carry as far as thickness. It's the slide that is slightly slimmer. In my hand, it feels no different than my 9mm Kobra Carry so I suspect holsters should not be a problem.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Jim, the rep above mentions recessed slide stop but specifications on the website do not.
I suspect he got a bit carried away.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Jim, the rep above mentions recessed slide stop but specifications on the website do not.
I agree. Curious, though, why they omitted the slide stop recess on this gun, compared to the nearly identically framed KC9. It canít be that much more cost or actual work, and I think it is a very popular option shooters choose.

Additionally, it seems there was a time when a bobtail cut would actually cost more. Granted, the magwell is a nice touch.

Great offering, but Iím a compact, or commander guy, primarily. Most of my pistols reflect that preference.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 PM

Their new E9 peaks my interest the most from the Evolution Series-I'm tempted. To me, there's a lot of gun for the money with this series.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM

I just hope they reach into the box that says "Extended" mag release, drop the trigger weight, lighten up the safety so it can be flipped on and off with "One" thumb and make sure the mags drop free. I'm very disappointed with the two I have.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Hope it's a health issues that will pass, Jim. Brown needs you to keep adding to your amazing collection!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM

I really like this pistol. A little different spin on a carry gun than the KC9 and more choice is a great thing. I like magwells and have them on all my 1911s. For what it’s worth Brown charges $300 to add a blended 1 piece magwell to a new pistol, Wilson charges $250 and Guncrafter gets $375. So, the E9 is an excellent value, even at msrp.
I’d love to see a 5” bull barrel version that takes an optic.
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 05-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 AM

If I hadn't recently bought my KC9 I would be looking for this pistol.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 AM

I like this one better than the first one.

I never could warm to the bobtail. I just bought a new pistol about two weeks ago. But we will see going forward.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
I believe the website specs also fail to mention a magwell, though it is in all the photos I have seen.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

You are correct it does not have a recessed slide stop, sorry for my error...
Old 01-04-2020, 06:39 PM

The E9 seems like a reasonable choice for IDPA. Has anybody tried it in competition? Do WC ETM 10-rd mags fit ok?