Shock Buff - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Shock Buff

I was having a hard time racking the slide and moving the slide stop on a new Ed Brown KC9. I got the gun apart and an Ed Brown shock buff fell out.

Threw that bastard in the garbage real quick and my problem went away. Much happier.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 PM

Oh, no..... not the dreaded 'shock buff' thread????? Here we go.....

Name:  giphy-downsized_zpsyzplli0v.gif
Views: 291
Size:  273.6 KB
Old 04-12-2019, 05:12 AM

Proving once again that shock-buffs have no place in a 1911.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Oh, no..... not the dreaded 'shock buff' thread????? Here we go.....
Except, it is going to be a small list of people who think that putting a shock buff in a short barrel, 9mm 1911 is a great idea. I haven't even seen them in short barreled Wilsons, and they were one of the proponents of shock buffs long ago.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
I haven't even seen them in short barreled Wilsons, and they were one of the proponents of shock buffs long ago.

The EDC X9 has them. I'm not a fan either, first thing I took out.

S&S Leatherworks
Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Shock Buff (SB) Restrictions

IF you shoot DURING the earthquake. They (SB) should be removed immediately when the shaking is over. After and only AFTER you have completed the (SB) removal, routine first aid, CPR, fire fighting and lesser emergency proceedings may resume. SBs are WITCHCRAFT SNAKE OIL.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovan View Post
Thanks for letting me know that the EDC X9 has them. My Wilson Spec Ops, Sentinel, and Pro came without.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 AM

Interesting. If the KC9 comes with them from the factory, I'd leave them in.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovan View Post
The X9 was designed around using them. Big difference between that putting them in something that wasnít DESIGNED for it.

In theory they should work in every 1911. We all know that isnít the case. I have had mixed results myself over the years. If it works - cool you will help a bit of slide/frame wear. If not, youíve wasted $1. Take it out and move on.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:57 AM

We've been discussing about shock buffers so many times, but one more time doesn't hurt.

Probably if the gun is properly sprung there is no need for a S.B. and after all the M1911s always worked flawslessly without any shock buffer, BUT, for instance WILSON COMBAT has always sold all his 1911s with a blue plastic shock buffer installed. I've owned nine different W.C. guns and in all of them I found a shock buffer and I've always used them on all my 1911s for the range also of different makes and no issues whatsoever.
Some people assert that they cause problems in a 1911, if it's true that they help lengthen the life of my 1911s frames why not to use them?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "colt45acp" View Post
We've been discussing about shock buffers so many times, but one more time doesn't hurt.

Probably if the gun is properly sprung there is no need for a S.B. and after all the M1911s always worked flawslessly without any shock buffer, BUT, for instance WILSON COMBAT has always sold all his 1911s with a blue plastic shock buffer installed. I've owned nine different W.C. guns and in all of them I found a shock buffer and I've always used them on all my 1911s for the range also of different makes and no issues whatsoever.
Some people assert that they cause problems in a 1911, if it's true that they help lengthen the life of my 1911s frames why not to use them?
Depends on what Wilson you have and possibly other factors. As I wrote, I did not have a shock buff in a factory new Wilson Spec Ops, LW Pro, or Sentinel. All these were 9mms. All these were also shorter barreled than Government. 9s are trickier to get to run than 45s in 1911s.

All these Wilson 9mm guns were bought somewhere around 2009 to 2012 when Wilson was trying to optimize recoil springs for 9s. I know, because I corresponded with them on recoil spring weights several times because I was having trouble with failures to feed on 9mm/38S, especially on the Sentinel and worked with the folks at Wilson to use different recoil spring options to get the Sentinel and a 38 S Pro to run. Wilson folks are obsessed with their guns working, and they took the time and effort to get everything going fine. They are very good about this.

That being said, I am not other people's shock buff Nazi. If you like them fine. In terms of battering, a 9mm, to me, is not high energy. You generally run a fairly light spring in a Government 9. I run a 4 inch 38S Pro at some fairly higher velocities than 9mm. At one time, I got up to 10,000 rounds a year in all 1911s. After all this, I just think shock buffs are one more part to possibly go teats up at the wrong time. (In fact, Wilson has recommended using heavier, hotter ammo to use on 9s with the 500 round break in to get good performance, so I am not that worried about damage to the frame.)

I don't even think about using a shock buff. But again, if you like them that is great. God Bless. Have at it. Just describing what happened on my gun and most important, you have good shooting.

Last edited by scw2; 04-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 PM

From what I have read, the Shock Buff originated with Bill Wilson, who still sells them. I'm surprised that they are being used in Ed Browns, especially as their benefit is questionable.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Bill Wilson got the idea from Armand Swenson who used to cut buffs from heavy leather.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
I was having a hard time racking the slide and moving the slide stop on a new Ed Brown KC9. I got the gun apart and an Ed Brown shock buff fell out.

Threw that bastard in the garbage real quick and my problem went away. Much happier.
I haven't removed it yet but at the first sign of a problem, it's gone.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Ordered two EDCX9's, shot one the other is still new in the box.
When cleaning the shooter I noticed the shok buff and pulled it out before it could cause an issue. Took the other one apart and it didn't have one in it.
???????
Old 04-17-2019, 03:10 PM

With or without a buff may surprise you. One time in a match I had a particularly good day. The pistol shot flat and smooth. I hit what I was shooting at. I got home, began to clean the pistol with a field strip. I usually check the shock buff and discovered I hadn't put one in! I recalled then I wanted to try shooting without the buff.

Moral of the story...maybe it would have shot even smoother and softer with a buff?
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 AM

While trying to buy a Wilson Sentinel recoil spring, I found the following on the Wilson Shop site:

NOTE: Shok-Buff buffers are recommended for full size (five inch barrel) 1911s only. Due to space constraints, we do not recommend their use in compact (less than five inch barrel) 1911s.

They also recommend shot-buffs for the EDC x9 pistol.

Maybe this is one reason the KC9 felt so tight with a shot-buff?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM

The KC9 was designed to have one of our #805 Slide Recoil Buffers used on the recoil system. Just to be clear, the clearances for Buffer use was designed in from the beginning. Please treat all Slide Recoil Buffers like cheap insurance and replace them often. If you would like to buy more: https://www.edbrown.com/product/slide-recoil-buffers
Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
Ordered two EDCX9's, shot one the other is still new in the box.
When cleaning the shooter I noticed the shok buff and pulled it out before it could cause an issue. Took the other one apart and it didn't have one in it.
???????
This is concerning considering...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brown Products View Post
The KC9 was designed to have one of our #805 Slide Recoil Buffers used on the recoil system. Just to be clear, the clearances for Buffer use was designed in from the beginning. Please treat all Slide Recoil Buffers like cheap insurance and replace them often.
Since Ed Brown designed the KC9 to be used with the buffer, it should be left in. I would always leave any part in that was delivered with the gun from the manufacturer. I might replace a part with a better one, but I wouldn't just take it out.

Jim,
I suspect that a call to Ed Brown will have a few new buffers winging your way.

www.blackrivertraining.com