1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Banned

Gun case foam

Just bought a used ZERO HALIBURTON suit case with the intent to use it to carry several pistols at the same time to the range.

It came WITHOUT foam. I know that I can go to a fabric store and buy some. the problems are ...

1) the nearest store is an hr drive each way and I don't go to Reno much so that would be some extra cost.
2) I estimate that it would take at least $50 to get enough foam to fill it (its 26"L x 18" T x 8" D.

I'm thinking about getting a can or 2 of the spray expanding foam to fill it then cutting out some slots.

Any other ideas?
Do you think that it would work? Can I spray paint it after it cures and I cut it?
Old 12-09-2018, 10:24 PM

I did something really similar with the case I use to bring some handguns to the range. I ended up collecting a bunch of foam from work. (we were doing a network upgrade so I was able to get a lot of foam from the packaging that the stuff was shipped in. It was the higher density foam that didn't turn to little pieces of foam or break when cut with a knife.
I don't store any of my firearms in the case but it seems to protect and make it easier to bring 5 or 6 at the same time.

I didn't try or think about the spray expanding foam.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

1 of my concerns is that the spray foam looks kinda "pock marked".

I was also wondering if wraping the pistols in plastic, and then immersing them in the fresh spray and then quickly removing them would give me a reasonable impression in the foam without hurting the guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 AM

CAUTION....there are 2 types of spray insulation/foam in a can. One expands and the other does not. I did NOT know this. The plane had a removable, UNINSULATED stainless steel ice bucket which rested inside a pullout wood drawer. It seemed like such a good idea to place the stainless bucket (think rectangle shape) in a plastic bag, fill the teak pull out with spray Great Stuff, a Dow product. What could go wrong? I managed to guesstimate the volume to fill the void between the stainless insert and the air void in the teakwood pullout. I pushed the plastic bagged stainless container into the wet foam, placed the shiney lid on the ice container and closed the wooden drawer with satisfaction. Damn I was smart, this was a stroke of genius, what took me so long to solve the melting ice idea? Remember that big CAUTION I started with? This stuff expands, that’s what it is supposed to do...in cracks. The foam expanded forcing the lid up. I had to dismantle the entire teakwood structure to remove the ice bucket and lid. After getting the cabinet apart and getting the container out the expanded foam was trimmed/sized with a razor knife. The plastic bag used for the stainless insert bonded to and joined the foam....forever. I managed to return the ice bucket and drawer to service but wished I had never tried this until the day we sold the plane. If you decide to use the foam in a can, get the kind that does not expand. It is my understanding it also expands, just not as much. My advice; FIND ANOTHER WAY!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm planning on using the expanding type.
I'll line the rim of 1 half with painters tape, fill it and level it with a straight edge.
I'll try half at a time.
I sent the fabric center an email asking for a price quote.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Go to Amazon or Google and search for "gun case foam."
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM

www.mycasebuilder.com

Measure the internal dimensions of the case, lay out the pattern you want, order foam.
Attached Thumbnails
F4620FE9-3653-4A6D-811A-E4715F8EBA81.jpeg  

Last edited by Jfleisher; 12-10-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfleisher View Post
www.mycasebuilder.com

Measure the internal dimensions of the case, lay out the pattern you want, order foam.
Very nice, Iíve been thinking of adding foam to an old Pelican laptop case to use for pistols. Thank you for sharing this idea.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
www.mycasebuilder.com

Love that place!
Attached Thumbnails
1911 case.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
You must have more income than me. The quote was $180! Thats much $$$ for FOAM? Thats lame.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Go to Amazon or Google and search for "gun case foam."
I tried that too. Still expensive. Guess that I live a different life than y'all. I mean, its frickin foam guys.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Just to verify, the case you have is 8” deep on the bottom half? You only need the foam cut for the bottom, the top part can just be flat/corrugated.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Been using Zero Haliburton cases for years to store and transport handguns. Used Ethafoam, same material archery targets are made from, does not retain moisture. Laid items out, traced around them, used a router bit in a drill press to remove material. Can be stacked, hold contents securely.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
same material archery targets are made from
I thought about that. Problem is that my case is longer than any targets that I found.
I realize that the case is large.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 AM

Since youíre trying to keep to a low budget.
Find someone who got a new flat screen tv. I bought one several weeks back and it had 2 large sheets of foam in the box.
Spray foam just makes a mess.

If you find the firmer foam, cut it yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
D0292679-EAC0-4F43-B4AA-A1F3FDE53380.jpeg   06CE097D-35E8-45E2-A233-8CD1ED15CD8A.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 12-17-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terdog55 View Post
You must have more income than me. The quote was $180! Thats much $$$ for FOAM? Thats lame.
That's weird. My case with foam was only $120 from them.

Here is another option: https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...k%2Cf&q=apache
Old 12-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Nice job Plantar5, that looks professional.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Not all gun case foam is created equal! You're buying quality cases to store and transport quality firearms. Don't skimp on the "protection"! Use instrument quality high density foam.

I transported $3-5,000 in competition guns, often times to out of state matches. Some team members used less than "instrument" quality foam inserts. After travel some results didn't turn out well. My guns always arrived in original condition without damage. the last thing you want is guns hitting together and causing damage especially to the sights!

High density foam for instrument cases is expensive. Depending on thickness may run $10-$40 a square foot!

Smiles,
Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Nice job Plantar5, that looks professional.
Thank you sir...

It took a little while to cut, and then auto ulpolstery spray adhesive to anchor the cut section in the bottom of the case.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
www.mycasebuilder.com

This is the way to go. I believe it is closed cell foam, which is what you need.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Since youíre trying to keep to a low budget.
Find someone who got a new flat screen tv. I bought one several weeks back and it had 2 large sheets of foam in the box.
Spray foam just makes a mess.

If you find the firmer foam, cut it yourself.
That's a nice rifle, but your magazines make me sad
Old 12-22-2018, 01:04 AM

Tonight while at dinner, I mentioned the situation to my GF.
She whipped out her phone and jumped on CL.
I'll be damned if she didn't find someone who was selling exactly what I was looking for.
Bought a sheet of 2" x 50" x 7' for $30, and he wasn't the usual CL flake 😎
Old 12-22-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post
That's a nice rifle, but your magazines make me sad
Thanks, on the rifle. I know, Donít rub it in on the mags...thatís the price we pay living here in liberal run commieland...