EDC X9- what am i missing? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Took a little bit to get used to it but very happy at 5 7 & 10yds. Click the picture 2x it rights itself.
Attached Thumbnails
8239574B-ECBF-42E5-8923-F03BB0157BF4.jpeg  
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM

For what it is worth I have been on quest the last three years to find a 9mm CARRY pistol with the least recoil possible. I'm a big advocate of having a carry gun in a major service caliber that affords the shooter the ability to get as many accurate shots on target as quickly as possible.

After carrying Glocks and other Polymer framed double stacks for years, I found I could not tighten up my rapid fire groups as much as I would like to. So the search began. After MUCH trial and error I eventually found my way to the 1911 platform in 9mm. After MUCH more trial and error I have settled on two guns.

One is comped and one is not. The Wilson Combat X-Tac Elite Compact Carry Comp has the least recoil of all 9mm carry pistol period. When something lighter is needed, I have found the Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm, has the least recoil of all the lightweight alloy-framed 9mm Commanders and CCOs out there. It even has less recoil than some of my all steel framed 1911 government pistols! Dan Wesson knows how to build a 9mm 1911 and has figured out the ideal combination of recoil spring weight, mainspring weight, Firing Pin Stop, and whatever other parts that tame recoil. Not even the lightweight Wilson 9mm 1911 Professional or Compacts I have fired had such mild recoil.

That said, this brings me to the EDC X9. One of my best buddies, an instructor, was given an EDC X9 as a gift from one of his students last year. (Nice gift right! The same student also gave him a CZ Czechmate Parrott, and a Nighthawk built Hi Power! Yes his student owns a professional basketball team! I have shot my buddy's EDCX9 many times. In my hands the EDC X9 has as much recoil as my Glock 19. I shoot 6" rapid fire groups at 10 yards with a Glock 19. When I do the same drill with a Dan Wesson Valkyrie or my WC CC the groups shrink to 3" or smaller. This has nothing to do with the accuracy of the guns per say, it is all about the recoil and the ability to get off quick and accurate follow-up shots.

In my hands the EDC X9 is a 6" rapid fire group gun because of the amount of recoil it generates. In my hands the muzzle also doesn't flip up straight, it goes up and to the side, which makes it even harder to get back on target quickly in between shots. I am only interested in 9mm carry guns that are designed to minimize recoil. It is clear to me that the EDC X9 was not designed with minimizing recoil in mind. There is a lot of recoil left on the table to minimize with the current design. maybe if someone spends some time tweaking the springs and some other parts advices can be made. Until that happens, it is not a gun I am interested in owning.

I know I am not the only one who feel this way about the recoil of the EDC X9, my buddy feels the same way about it, and I have read reviews here on this forum where others say the same thing.

I also prefer the thin grip of a single stack pistol these days, and there are no double stack guns on my want list; especially ones that generate too much recoil!

Last edited by Harrish; 12-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
For what it is worth I have been on quest the last three years to find a 9mm CARRY pistol with the least recoil possible. I'm a big advocate of having a carry gun in a major service caliber that affords the shooter the ability to get as many accurate shots on target as quickly as possible.

After carrying Glocks and other Polymer framed double stacks for years, I found I could not tighten up my rapid fire groups as much as I would like to. So the search began. After MUCH trial and error I eventually found my way to the 1911 platform in 9mm. After MUCH more trial and error I have settled on two guns.

One is comped and one is not. The Wilson Combat X-Tac Elite Compact Carry Comp has the least recoil of all 9mm carry pistol period. When something lighter is needed, I have found the Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm (alloy frame), has the least recoil of all the lightweight 9mm Commanders and CCOs out there. It even has less recoil than some of my all steel framed 1911 government pistols! Dan Wesson knows how to build a 9mm 1911 and has figured out the ideal combination of recoil spring weight, mainspring weight, Firing Pin Stop, and whatever other parts that tame recoil. Not even the lightweight Wilson 9mm 1911 Professional or Compacts I have fired had such mild recoil.

That said, this brings me to the EDC X9. One of my best buddies, an instructor, was given an EDC X9 as a gift from one of his students last year. I have shot it many times. In my hands the EDC X9 has as much recoil as my Glock 19. I shoot 6" rapid fire groups at 10 yards with a Glock 19. When I do the same drill with a Dan Wesson Valkyrie or my WC CC the groups shrink to 3" or smaller. This has nothing to do with the accuracy of the guns per say, it is all about the recoil and getting off quick and accurate follow-up shots.

In my hands the EDC X9 is a 6" rapid fire group gun because of all the recoil it generates. In my hands the muzzle also doesn't flip up straight, it goes up and to the right which makes it even harder to get back on target quickly in between shots. I am only interested in 9mm carry guns that are designed to minimize recoil. It is clear to me that the EDC X9 was not designed with minimizing recoil in mind. There is a lot of recoil left on the table to minimize with the current design. maybe if someone spends some time tweaking the springs and some other parts advices can be made. Until that happens, it is not a gun I am interested in owning.

I also prefer the thin grip of a single stack pistol these days, and there are no double stack guns on my want list.
Yep. I'm waiting for a comped barrel then I'll really really like mine.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 12-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:

One is comped and one is not. The Wilson Combat X-Tac Elite Compact Carry Comp has the least recoil of all 9mm carry pistol period. When something lighter is needed, I have found the Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm, has the least recoil of all the lightweight alloy-framed 9mm Commanders and CCOs out there. It even has less recoil than some of my all steel framed 1911 government pistols! Dan Wesson knows how to build a 9mm 1911 and has figured out the ideal combination of recoil spring weight, mainspring weight, Firing Pin Stop, and whatever other parts that tame recoil. Not even the lightweight Wilson 9mm 1911 Professional or Compacts I have fired had such mild recoil.

That said, this brings me to the EDC X9. One of my best buddies, an instructor, was given an EDC X9 as a gift from one of his students last year. (Nice gift right! The same student also gave him a CZ Czechmate Parrott, and a Nighthawk built Hi Power! Yes his student owns a professional basketball team! I have shot my buddy's EDCX9 many times. In my hands the EDC X9 has as much recoil as my Glock 19. I shoot 6" rapid fire groups at 10 yards with a Glock 19. When I do the same drill with a Dan Wesson Valkyrie or my WC CC the groups shrink to 3" or smaller. This has nothing to do with the accuracy of the guns per say, it is all about the recoil and the ability to get off quick and accurate follow-up shots.

In my hands the EDC X9 is a 6" rapid fire group gun because of the amount of recoil it generates. In my hands the muzzle also doesn't flip up straight, it goes up and to the side, which makes it even harder to get back on target quickly in between shots. I am only interested in 9mm carry guns that are designed to minimize recoil. It is clear to me that the EDC X9 was not designed with minimizing recoil in mind. There is a lot of recoil left on the table to minimize with the current design. maybe if someone spends some time tweaking the springs and some other parts advices can be made. Until that happens, it is not a gun I am interested in owning.

I know I am not the only one who feel this way about the recoil of the EDC X9, my buddy feels the same way about it, and I have read reviews here on this forum where others say the same thing.

I also prefer the thin grip of a single stack pistol these days, and there are no double stack guns on my want list; especially ones that generate too much recoil!
This is such a great write up and perspective, thank you!
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Yep. I'm waiting for a comped barrel then I'll really really like mine.
Now that may make some sense! I'm sure that will make shooting the EDC X9 a completely different experience. I remember reading your range report of the EDC X9 a while back and recall you had a similar experience with the X9's recoil. When reading your write-up I remember thinking, "yep, that's exactly my experience!" I always greatly appreciate the thoroughness of your range reports. Not a stop is left unturned

If it was possible to put a one piece barrel/comp on my other pistols, I would be doing the same to lots of my other guns. But because of the design and the way the barrel has to be removed on all my other guns, this is NOT a possibility. The 1911 is the only carry gun I know of where the barrel comes out the front of the slide. So all my other guns need a threaded barrel and a Screw on Comp; and Screw On Comps are just not the same as a one-piece barrel/comp, especially the one piece barrel/comps that Wilson makes.

I do run one of my Glock 19 pistols' with a screw on comp, it does the job, but it constantly needs to be tightened down and different loads require different recoil spring weights. It's just proven to be a Pain in the A**. I don't trust it enough to carry my Glock 19 with a Comp. If the spring weight isn't right for a particular load, I will get Failures to Feed and Jams etc.

One of my Glock 19 Pistols with a Screw-On Comp

A silencer works pretty good to at eliminating recoil! But Just try to stick that in your holster!

Last edited by Harrish; 12-19-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
This is such a great write up and perspective, thank you!
Thank you kindly. I have done a fair amount of writing about recoil reduction and 1911 9mm pistols in the Dan Wesson, Colt, and Range Report sections of this forum. If you are interested, by all means search my post history here.

Also, The Truth About Guns has published several of my reviews under my real name And on other forums like AR15.com my username is "Harrishmasher". Not a common screen name, so my reviews should be easy enough to find.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Now that may make some sense! I'm sure that will make shooting the EDC X9 a completely different experience. I remember reading your range report of the EDC X9 a while back and recall you had a similar experience with the X9's recoil. When reading your write-up I remember thinking, "yep, that's exactly my experience!" I always greatly appreciate the thoroughness of your range reports. Not a stop is left unturned

If it was possible to put a one piece barrel/comp on my other pistols, I would be doing the same to lots of my other guns. But because of the design and the way the barrel has to be removed on all my other guns, this is NOT a possibility. The 1911 is the only carry gun I know of where the barrel comes out the front of the slide. So all my other guns need a threaded barrel and a Screw on Comp; and Screw On Comps are just not the same as a one-piece barrel/comp, especially the one piece barrel/comps that Wilson makes.

I do run one of my Glock 19 pistols' with a screw on comp, it does the job, but it constantly needs to be tightened down and different loads require different recoil spring weights. It's just proven to be a Pain in the A**. I don't trust it enough to carry my Glock 19 with a Comp. If the spring weight isn't right for a particular load, I will get Failures to Feed and Jams etc.

One of my Glock 19 Pistols with a Screw-On Comp

A silencer works pretty good to at eliminating recoil! But Just try to stick that in your holster!

Careful.....if you state facts the Glock uberfanbois might come here in a rage. You are totally correct that the way 1911 comps are done is superior and that the common glock versions are not at all the same in function or even reliability. The only other systems I have seen that I like are the CZ open guns, very very precise thread/taper system that indexes the comp perfectly and the guide rod acts as a "lock" to prevent it from turning. Nice glock though.......I need to customize my Gen5 already.

Silencers are okay but only work since they are so heavy, on rifles a true comp works far better than any suppressor. On my LWRC SPR there is no muzzle rise/disturbance of the aimpoint with just the brake, add the can and the dot jumps up slightly with each shot.

Also thank you for talking my reviews up! I've been really busy lately but I will be doing the CQB-E 9mm next since it has proven to be one of my favorite guns and is killer for IDPA use.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 12-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Not every gun is going to work with every shooter. My first pistol was Bereta PX4 in 45, I can say a lot of nasty about the gun, but better to say it wasn't a good fit for me and I shot it only marginally well. Although I will likely never buy an X9 unless it comes comped and in 45 (now that NJ has a 10R limit), I think I would shoot it well. It has an ergonomic grip similar (not the same) as my 9mm PPQ, the latter which is a fine gun by its own right in the poly class.

PS, just MHO on a swag...If you are a good shooter to start (like everyone here is), if after 3 range session a gun doesn't work for you, probably aren't going to get use to it unless there is something significant you can change (like a back-strap for example, so try that first, maybe it will help, if not move on, don't force it, imo.)
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 12-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM

I've had mine a year and a half with 2,500 rounds fired. Small backstrap/med trigger. First range trip I was underimpressed, shot 300 rounds. Had 4 1/2" groups out of the box. Then did my normal 200 rounds with my 1911 45acp regular carry pistol. Different feel than my 1911's, and at first wasn't sure I had made a good purchase. It took the third range trip (about 700 rounds) to realize it wasn't going to be like my 1911's. I had gotten so used to that feel and grip size, downsizing to the X9 took a while to get comfortable. Recoil wasn't unpleasant with the 9mm since I carry a 45acp. But it was different. I like the roll of the 45acp in my 1911's. I tried six or seven different factory 9mm ammo's. They changed the recoil. I found hand loading produced the lowest recoil and still held accuracy. Not everyone handloads, so I suggest trying some other factory loads to see what you might like. The Wilson reman 135 Berry FN was a good factory load.
The more I shoot it, the more comfortable it has become. But for me I am staying with my commander in 45 acp as my carry. I prefer the grip size and I don't feel I need the extra capacity for carry. But 15+1 does ease some minds.
I am glad I purchased it, but not the second as my wife shot mine and didn't like it. So I have an extra box in my safe. It is well designed and built. And hasn't had any issues in the 2,500 rounds I have fired. I like it a heck of a lot better than any smaller Glock I have shot.
Though with all the talk about changing the backstrap, it would be nice if Wilson shipped it with both.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
I've had mine a year and a half with 2,500 rounds fired. Small backstrap/med trigger. First range trip I was underimpressed, shot 300 rounds. Had 4 1/2" groups out of the box. Then did my normal 200 rounds with my 1911 45acp regular carry pistol. Different feel than my 1911's, and at first wasn't sure I had made a good purchase. It took the third range trip (about 700 rounds) to realize it wasn't going to be like my 1911's. I had gotten so used to that feel and grip size, downsizing to the X9 took a while to get comfortable. Recoil wasn't unpleasant with the 9mm since I carry a 45acp. But it was different. I like the roll of the 45acp in my 1911's. I tried six or seven different factory 9mm ammo's. They changed the recoil. I found hand loading produced the lowest recoil and still held accuracy. Not everyone handloads, so I suggest trying some other factory loads to see what you might like. The Wilson reman 135 Berry FN was a good factory load.
The more I shoot it, the more comfortable it has become. But for me I am staying with my commander in 45 acp as my carry. I prefer the grip size and I don't feel I need the extra capacity for carry. But 15+1 does ease some minds.
I am glad I purchased it, but not the second as my wife shot mine and didn't like it. So I have an extra box in my safe. It is well designed and built. And hasn't had any issues in the 2,500 rounds I have fired. I like it a heck of a lot better than any smaller Glock I have shot.
Though with all the talk about changing the backstrap, it would be nice if Wilson shipped it with both.
I wonder if that is something that could be requested in the order like a extra fitted and finished extractor....I bet it can. I hadn't thought of that before, but maybe that is something that can be spec'd at order time as an added option - not much difference than the gold bead front sight as far as cost goes. Interesting idea.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
I wonder if that is something that could be requested in the order like a extra fitted and finished extractor....I bet it can. I hadn't thought of that before, but maybe that is something that can be spec'd at order time as an added option - not much difference than the gold bead front sight as far as cost goes. Interesting idea.
It's an option as far as I know, I mean considering we can technically order spare barrels and stuff I wouldn't see why not....
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Took delivery on mine this week.

Had the opportunity to shoot several while attending the Hackathorne class in November. Finally bit the bullet and order mine last week. I’m anxious to get to the range and break it in.
Attached Thumbnails
FA14AA81-E3F8-49B1-ABEB-73CDEFED79A8.jpeg  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselph View Post
Finally bit the bullet and order mine last week. I’m anxious to get to the range and break it in.
Somebody crawled out of his hiding hole. Lol.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Yah think

Only been about 12 or 13 years since I was here last.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselph View Post
Only been about 12 or 13 years since I was here last.
Then - welcome back!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-25-2018, 06:21 AM

Been reading all the threads and finally ran across one that I could work a deal on, picked it up last week and took it to the range Sunday.
Really happy with it, shot well for me for the first time out.
I will definitely be sending it in to get the long trigger installed. Also will have the large backstop and orange outline tritium sight installed.
Do you know if Wilson can change out the medallions for black ones while it's there?
Old 12-25-2018, 01:44 PM

^^^^

"Do you know if Wilson can change out the medallions for black ones while it's there?"

Almost certainly so. But also easy to do yourself. And/or simply add another set of grips/medallions to your collection. I'm generally a proponent of adding to the collection.

Very, very nice 1911 in your photo. That's my favorite of the two, but both very nice.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-25-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:54 PM

I would think all their medallions are the same size. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
If so then an all black set of 2 sell for $14.95
A second set of grips for the EDC X9 are $109.95 but I didn't see any with the all black.

The black on green would look nice. But buying a second set of black grips with black medallions would look nicer.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Grip-Me.../products/408/

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Grips/products/961/
Old 05-18-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
A- My X9 came with the large backstrap and it was worse. Replaced it with the smaller one and a long trigger which is better.
B- We are not giving up on the X9 as we like the pistol generally; it's just that we don't shoot it as well as our other current carry guns (GI CCO, a Wilson ULC Compact Commander and a Colt WC CCO). But, it's kind of like getting a new horse. Having shot 1911s for quite some time, the X9 just has a distinctly different feel; it hasn't thrown us yet so we will persevere.
C-We just now judiciously dabbed some wing walk paint under the trigger guard and at the top of the backstrap to gain a bit of traction; We'll see how that works.

Thanks all for the input.
What is 'wing walk paint'?

Nice shooting!

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 05-18-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigDog View Post
Been reading all the threads and finally ran across one that I could work a deal on, picked it up last week and took it to the range Sunday.
Really happy with it, shot well for me for the first time out.
I will definitely be sending it in to get the long trigger installed. Also will have the large backstop and orange outline tritium sight installed.
Do you know if Wilson can change out the medallions for black ones while it's there?
I just love how the Magazine 'fits' on the EDC-X9. It doesn't look like an appendage!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigX9 View Post
What is 'wing walk paint'?

Nice shooting!

Wing walk paint is what the aviation industry uses to coat areas of the upper surface of wings to enable pilots or maintenance personnel to walk safely on top of an otherwise slick, and potentially very slippery surface, especially when wet or worse, icy. It is the rough textured, usually black in color “paint” you see in mostly small squares or strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 07:07 PM

Just Right

Mine is perfect both in feel and appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Barrel Shot.jpg   Serrations.jpg  
Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 PM

Grip it and Shoot.

Sanded the Black Cherry Aggressive Starburst Pattern. Feel perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
WC Medallion.jpg   Trigger & Serial Number.jpg  
Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 PM

Sights

Very Nice Gold Dot.
Attached Thumbnails
Battle Sight & Barrel.jpg  
Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 PM

Sights very Nice

Easy to fine gold bead.
Attached Thumbnails
Both Sights.jpg   Rear Sight.jpg