Ruger SR1911 Review - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Joe C Joe C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1843 View Post
Thank you sir for your review, it pushed me over the edge to make this purchase. It has been one of the most well written and well thought out reviews i have ever read.

Also just a question, 1 out 10 what would you rate this gun for its price category?

And one last thing im looking froward to seeing what you are going to do to this firearm to make it better.
First off, thank you for the kind words. If I was forced into a corner and had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would say it would be a...hmmm... 8.21579 for the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankfan79 View Post
Nice review.

I do have one question.
After reading your measurements about the sights, do this mean that sights with a "standard" Novak cut WILL NOT fit?
Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Bedford IN View Post
Joe,
When I saw your comments on the VIS and then read the thread "Neat things about the Ruger SR1911" by KenMays, I saw a good picture of the VIS in his post. It looks to have a good amount of relief cut on the face with a bow tie. Did your gun also look like this but still measure out as inadequate based on your measurements? What is the required depth? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Mine measures .0025" deep which while some may think it is adequate, personally I think is a bit shallow. How much is needed is debatable. Personally I think that .005" is enough, however, I know there are others that think more is necessary. All that being said, there are tons and tons of guns out there that have no "bowtie" cut that have lasted thousands of rounds without breaking legs, links or other problems...and then there are the ones I have seen and fixed that did break the legs and links. And it is a show stopper if it happens.

Thank you for your questions. They always challenge me to check and double check!

Respectfully,
__________________
Respectfully,
Joe Chambers
www.chamberscustom.com
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
  #52  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM
MotorSeven MotorSeven is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,525
"Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately."

Actually, I like the higher front sight. For me at least I get the front blade up on target a little quicker, I guess because my eyes pick up the the taller "out of focus" blade easier than my other "low out of focus" blades.
  #53  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
chuntaro chuntaro is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near the Rio Bravo
Posts: 7,730
In youth, I was able to shoot off the corner of the front sight. I now feel your pain about the out focus front sight and agree bigger is better.
  #54  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
SOX.45 SOX.45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: North Carolina
Age: 47
Posts: 280
Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.
__________________
-A reasonable person conforms to the world. An unreasonable person makes the world conform to them. Therefore unreasonable people create all change.-

Last edited by SOX.45; 05-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
  #55  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 PM
GeneticJoe GeneticJoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,485
wow good informative review must be an excellent gunsmith
  #56  
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
speedpower speedpower is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 225
Now, I need to buy me one of these, need to add it to my collection
__________________

1911 sure is addicting!

COTEP
  #57  
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM
kajvid kajvid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Great detailed report. I signed on hoping for a review of this new pistol!

Thanks!
  #58  
Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Joe C Joe C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX.45 View Post
Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.
The grip screw bushings are loctited in with red. A small amount of heat will break the bond. As for reliability, well, while there are things I would suggest correcting, if you read my range report you will see that it was pretty flawless in function for that short test. That being said, I would still correct some minor things if I were going to put my life on it...but then I am a smith.

Respectfully,
__________________
Respectfully,
Joe Chambers
www.chamberscustom.com
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
  #59  
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Joe L Joe L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Texas
Posts: 95
Joe--very interesting report. I read it several days ago, still waiting for my SR1911, which will be my first 1911. I am new to pistols so I really appreciate the detail and your writing skill. I also checked out your web site. May be calling you for some work later on when I have a little more experience with my pistol(s) and know what to ask for. Thanks again.
Joe
__________________
Sig P226/P239, Kahr PM40/CM9, Desert Eagle 1911G
  #60  
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
pj1843 pj1843 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 92
Hey man I can't thank you enough for this review again, it pushed me over the edge to buy it. And while i have said that before yesterday i bought it(about 650 out the door). Took it home last night stripped it down and looked it over, everything looked really good, but like you said, not a 2k gun. Going to take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots, again thanks for the review made me feel good enough to buy it.
  #61  
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Joe C Joe C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Joe--very interesting report. I read it several days ago, still waiting for my SR1911, which will be my first 1911. I am new to pistols so I really appreciate the detail and your writing skill. I also checked out your web site. May be calling you for some work later on when I have a little more experience with my pistol(s) and know what to ask for. Thanks again.
Joe
You are very welcome sir. Call anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1843 View Post
Hey man I can't thank you enough for this review again, it pushed me over the edge to buy it. And while i have said that before yesterday i bought it(about 650 out the door). Took it home last night stripped it down and looked it over, everything looked really good, but like you said, not a 2k gun. Going to take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots, again thanks for the review made me feel good enough to buy it.
No problem sir. I look forward to hearing how it shoots!

Respectfully,
__________________
Respectfully,
Joe Chambers
www.chamberscustom.com
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
  #62  
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Jesters Dead Jesters Dead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3
I was searching for some objective reviews on the SR1911 and came across Joe's post on this forum. Great review. In fact, it was so good, I joined the forum!

I was about 80-percent sold on the Ruger before the review. But after seeing Hickok45's vids and reading Joe's reviews, I'm sold! Somehow, some way, I'm scraping together $650 to get my first 1911. It's going to a Ruger.

Thanks Joe!
  #63  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 AM
MotorSeven MotorSeven is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,525
JD, I think you are Rugers target audience...first time 1911 buyer(and I don't think you will be disapointed). The bad thing for you is all of us "not first time 1911ers" snapping them all up.
  #64  
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
stewj21 stewj21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 63
Get'em while you can....

I tried three different local dealers before I found the gun in stock at KY Gun Co. They had 26 Monday morning and unless they were hiding the things they had four more in addition to the one I bought. I made my purchase at around 0930 hours. ($649.99)

While I have only put a box of 230 gr ball (Aguilla) and 20 rounds of 230 gr Hornady TAP through mine (until tomorrow morning) I am in love with the gun. Two fail to feeds due to shooting the thing out of the box on the way home and after that it was eating the rounds as fast as I could reload. The clean finish and tight fit along with the "Made in the USA" on the slide make it more than attractive to me.

Can't wait to get to the range tomorrow. Have mags loaded and in the pistol bags ready to go. I'll have a better grasp on accuracy in the morning although my quick range trip on Monday showed no obvious problems putting rounds center mass at 15 yards. More to follow....
  #65  
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 AM
SemperFi1977m SemperFi1977m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 752
Joe spent so much time and TLC on this...I felt it needed bumped to the top of our new section for prospective new SR1911 buyers.
__________________
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
  #66  
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Rhyno01 Rhyno01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
An outstanding review. I am waiting for mine as we speak. I am a competitive shooter in the ISSF and Canadian Standard or NRA bullseye venues. I do my own work to make my guns, which are ALL Rugers, so your review will be very helpful.
There is a trigger and spring kit available which will be the start of my mods.

http://www.1911store.com/tunedtrigge...proseries.aspx

And of course Wolff makes buckets full of springs. Randal Fung will take a crack at making me some custom grips. My only hitch is trying to find an adjustable rear site and a plain target type front site. Novak makes a rear site but says some maching will be required which is a pain.
Let me know if you hear about any sites.
Thanks
Rhyno
  #67  
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM
SemperFi1977m SemperFi1977m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno01 View Post
An outstanding review. I am waiting for mine as we speak. I am a competitive shooter in the ISSF and Canadian Standard or NRA bullseye venues. I do my own work to make my guns, which are ALL Rugers, so your review will be very helpful.
There is a trigger and spring kit available which will be the start of my mods.

http://www.1911store.com/tunedtrigge...proseries.aspx

And of course Wolff makes buckets full of springs. Randal Fung will take a crack at making me some custom grips. My only hitch is trying to find an adjustable rear site and a plain target type front site. Novak makes a rear site but says some maching will be required which is a pain.
Let me know if you hear about any sites.
Thanks
Rhyno
Another good place to check out complete trigger group kits is Cylinder and Slide. He has many sets at different trigger pull weights. Excellent parts!
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....ow&ref=1911_HS
__________________
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
  #68  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Rhyno01 Rhyno01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
Another good place to check out complete trigger group kits is Cylinder and Slide. He has many sets at different trigger pull weights. Excellent parts!
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....ow&ref=1911_HS
Fantastic! Thats what I have been looking for. I have found out that the Novak rear adjustable will fit the SR but the mill work they talk about is to make room for the elevation hinge, that makes a bit more sence.
Thanks again!
Rhyno
  #69  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Joe C Joe C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,277
WOW! The SR1911 has it's own section...nice! And thanks for the bump SemperFi1977m.

Rhyno01, there are a number of replacements available from Kensight if you are interested that do not require machining of the slide.

Respectfully,
__________________
Respectfully,
Joe Chambers
www.chamberscustom.com
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
  #70  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 PM
vh20 vh20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 238
What a fantastic, honest, clinical review. It reminded me of reading the transcript of an autopsy (and I mean that as the highest compliment). It was based on measurable and verifiable facts, not biased opinion. What makes it doubly great is that you put the "patient" back together, and revived it at the range where you were able to relate some of your clinical observations into real-world findings regarding performance. What a great service you have done to anyone interested in purchasing this pistol, and what a shame it is that there aren't many more reviews of this caliber for other brands/models.

I can appreciate the amount of time you took out of your personal schedule to do a review like this, and it indicates someone who has a deep and abiding interest in his chosen profession - just the kind of guy I'd want to send a gun to when it needs work. Which brings me to a question - what kind of waiting list do you have for re-working a pistol (no fancy custom stuff, just things for ultimate reliability to make it suitable for duty or everyday carry?)
  #71  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Joe C Joe C is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh20 View Post
What a fantastic, honest, clinical review. It reminded me of reading the transcript of an autopsy (and I mean that as the highest compliment). It was based on measurable and verifiable facts, not biased opinion. What makes it doubly great is that you put the "patient" back together, and revived it at the range where you were able to relate some of your clinical observations into real-world findings regarding performance. What a great service you have done to anyone interested in purchasing this pistol, and what a shame it is that there aren't many more reviews of this caliber for other brands/models.

I can appreciate the amount of time you took out of your personal schedule to do a review like this, and it indicates someone who has a deep and abiding interest in his chosen profession - just the kind of guy I'd want to send a gun to when it needs work. Which brings me to a question - what kind of waiting list do you have for re-working a pistol (no fancy custom stuff, just things for ultimate reliability to make it suitable for duty or everyday carry?)
Thank you for the compliments. It is a bit of a passion for me, working on and building 1911's. ;-) As far as wait times goes, I'll shoot you a pm.

Respectfully,
__________________
Respectfully,
Joe Chambers
www.chamberscustom.com
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
  #72  
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
SemperFi1977m SemperFi1977m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 752
Joe, do you know what radius the grip safety is? Im considering going stainless with mine and would like to know which radius to order if I do decide to swap mine out.
__________________
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
  #73  
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM
SemperFi1977m SemperFi1977m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
Joe, do you know what radius the grip safety is? Im considering going stainless with mine and would like to know which radius to order if I do decide to swap mine out.
nevermind, I see you mentioned that in the thread showing your modified SR1911
.220"radius
__________________
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
  #74  
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Rhyno01 Rhyno01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
WOW! The SR1911 has it's own section...nice! And thanks for the bump SemperFi1977m.

Rhyno01, there are a number of replacements available from Kensight if you are interested that do not require machining of the slide.

Respectfully,
Hey there,
I looked up this front sight, will it fit the SR1911?
http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight...ted/Detail.bok
And the rear
http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight...ted/Detail.bok
Looks like it has the lock down hole as well, just not sure of measurement. And my gun will not be here untill March, have to wait. But I would like to gather my parts.
Thanks for all the info!!!
Rhyno
  #75  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
GlenS GlenS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Does anyone really think a $600 1911 will be as good as a $2-4K custom?
I think it can happen. Just the luck of the draw. I have a Kimber that shoots as good as any gun I have even seen. Other shooters say it has been modified. Nothing has been done to it since I bought it except the installation of night sights. My eyes aren't as good as they once were but at 15 yards the gun will shoot sub 1" groups. Eyes don't do well at 25 yards anymore. I would love to shoot this gun in a machine rest to see what it is actually capable of.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved