Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1843 View Post
Thank you sir for your review, it pushed me over the edge to make this purchase. It has been one of the most well written and well thought out reviews i have ever read.

Also just a question, 1 out 10 what would you rate this gun for its price category?

And one last thing im looking froward to seeing what you are going to do to this firearm to make it better.
First off, thank you for the kind words. If I was forced into a corner and had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would say it would be a...hmmm... 8.21579 for the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankfan79 View Post
Nice review.

I do have one question.
After reading your measurements about the sights, do this mean that sights with a "standard" Novak cut WILL NOT fit?
Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Bedford IN View Post
Joe,
When I saw your comments on the VIS and then read the thread "Neat things about the Ruger SR1911" by KenMays, I saw a good picture of the VIS in his post. It looks to have a good amount of relief cut on the face with a bow tie. Did your gun also look like this but still measure out as inadequate based on your measurements? What is the required depth? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Mine measures .0025" deep which while some may think it is adequate, personally I think is a bit shallow. How much is needed is debatable. Personally I think that .005" is enough, however, I know there are others that think more is necessary. All that being said, there are tons and tons of guns out there that have no "bowtie" cut that have lasted thousands of rounds without breaking legs, links or other problems...and then there are the ones I have seen and fixed that did break the legs and links. And it is a show stopper if it happens.

Thank you for your questions. They always challenge me to check and double check!

Respectfully,
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 AM

"Hankfan79, actually, the standard Novak sight will fit just fine. What they did was they did not set the sight as deep as normal which necessitates a higher than normal front sight unfortunately."

Actually, I like the higher front sight. For me at least I get the front blade up on target a little quicker, I guess because my eyes pick up the the taller "out of focus" blade easier than my other "low out of focus" blades.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Banned

In youth, I was able to shoot off the corner of the front sight. I now feel your pain about the out focus front sight and agree bigger is better.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.

Last edited by SOX.45; 05-27-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 PM

wow good informative review must be an excellent gunsmith
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Now, I need to buy me one of these, need to add it to my collection

1911 sure is addicting!

COTEP
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Great detailed report. I signed on hoping for a review of this new pistol!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX.45 View Post
Very interesting read, thanks for taking the time to post it. I wish I understood most of the specs. Just two questions. The grip screw bushings, are they staked or just loctite'd? I prefer slimline grips and was wondering how hard it would to switch them out? I know I don't understand a lot of the specs, but there seemed to be a list of issues you addressed. Would this model need to be worked on by someone to make it carry worthy? Thanks for the post and explanations.
The grip screw bushings are loctited in with red. A small amount of heat will break the bond. As for reliability, well, while there are things I would suggest correcting, if you read my range report you will see that it was pretty flawless in function for that short test. That being said, I would still correct some minor things if I were going to put my life on it...but then I am a smith.

Respectfully,
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Joe--very interesting report. I read it several days ago, still waiting for my SR1911, which will be my first 1911. I am new to pistols so I really appreciate the detail and your writing skill. I also checked out your web site. May be calling you for some work later on when I have a little more experience with my pistol(s) and know what to ask for. Thanks again.
Joe
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Hey man I can't thank you enough for this review again, it pushed me over the edge to buy it. And while i have said that before yesterday i bought it(about 650 out the door). Took it home last night stripped it down and looked it over, everything looked really good, but like you said, not a 2k gun. Going to take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots, again thanks for the review made me feel good enough to buy it.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Joe--very interesting report. I read it several days ago, still waiting for my SR1911, which will be my first 1911. I am new to pistols so I really appreciate the detail and your writing skill. I also checked out your web site. May be calling you for some work later on when I have a little more experience with my pistol(s) and know what to ask for. Thanks again.
Joe
You are very welcome sir. Call anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1843 View Post
Hey man I can't thank you enough for this review again, it pushed me over the edge to buy it. And while i have said that before yesterday i bought it(about 650 out the door). Took it home last night stripped it down and looked it over, everything looked really good, but like you said, not a 2k gun. Going to take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots, again thanks for the review made me feel good enough to buy it.
No problem sir. I look forward to hearing how it shoots!

Respectfully,
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 PM

I was searching for some objective reviews on the SR1911 and came across Joe's post on this forum. Great review. In fact, it was so good, I joined the forum!

I was about 80-percent sold on the Ruger before the review. But after seeing Hickok45's vids and reading Joe's reviews, I'm sold! Somehow, some way, I'm scraping together $650 to get my first 1911. It's going to a Ruger.

Thanks Joe!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 AM

JD, I think you are Rugers target audience...first time 1911 buyer(and I don't think you will be disapointed). The bad thing for you is all of us "not first time 1911ers" snapping them all up.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Get'em while you can....

I tried three different local dealers before I found the gun in stock at KY Gun Co. They had 26 Monday morning and unless they were hiding the things they had four more in addition to the one I bought. I made my purchase at around 0930 hours. ($649.99)

While I have only put a box of 230 gr ball (Aguilla) and 20 rounds of 230 gr Hornady TAP through mine (until tomorrow morning) I am in love with the gun. Two fail to feeds due to shooting the thing out of the box on the way home and after that it was eating the rounds as fast as I could reload. The clean finish and tight fit along with the "Made in the USA" on the slide make it more than attractive to me.

Can't wait to get to the range tomorrow. Have mags loaded and in the pistol bags ready to go. I'll have a better grasp on accuracy in the morning although my quick range trip on Monday showed no obvious problems putting rounds center mass at 15 yards. More to follow....
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 AM

Joe spent so much time and TLC on this...I felt it needed bumped to the top of our new section for prospective new SR1911 buyers.
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM

An outstanding review. I am waiting for mine as we speak. I am a competitive shooter in the ISSF and Canadian Standard or NRA bullseye venues. I do my own work to make my guns, which are ALL Rugers, so your review will be very helpful.
There is a trigger and spring kit available which will be the start of my mods.

http://www.1911store.com/tunedtrigge...proseries.aspx

And of course Wolff makes buckets full of springs. Randal Fung will take a crack at making me some custom grips. My only hitch is trying to find an adjustable rear site and a plain target type front site. Novak makes a rear site but says some maching will be required which is a pain.
Let me know if you hear about any sites.
Thanks
Rhyno
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno01 View Post
An outstanding review. I am waiting for mine as we speak. I am a competitive shooter in the ISSF and Canadian Standard or NRA bullseye venues. I do my own work to make my guns, which are ALL Rugers, so your review will be very helpful.
There is a trigger and spring kit available which will be the start of my mods.

http://www.1911store.com/tunedtrigge...proseries.aspx

And of course Wolff makes buckets full of springs. Randal Fung will take a crack at making me some custom grips. My only hitch is trying to find an adjustable rear site and a plain target type front site. Novak makes a rear site but says some maching will be required which is a pain.
Let me know if you hear about any sites.
Thanks
Rhyno
Another good place to check out complete trigger group kits is Cylinder and Slide. He has many sets at different trigger pull weights. Excellent parts!
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....ow&ref=1911_HS
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
Another good place to check out complete trigger group kits is Cylinder and Slide. He has many sets at different trigger pull weights. Excellent parts!
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....ow&ref=1911_HS
Fantastic! Thats what I have been looking for. I have found out that the Novak rear adjustable will fit the SR but the mill work they talk about is to make room for the elevation hinge, that makes a bit more sence.
Thanks again!
Rhyno
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM

WOW! The SR1911 has it's own section...nice! And thanks for the bump SemperFi1977m.

Rhyno01, there are a number of replacements available from Kensight if you are interested that do not require machining of the slide.

Respectfully,
Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 PM

What a fantastic, honest, clinical review. It reminded me of reading the transcript of an autopsy (and I mean that as the highest compliment). It was based on measurable and verifiable facts, not biased opinion. What makes it doubly great is that you put the "patient" back together, and revived it at the range where you were able to relate some of your clinical observations into real-world findings regarding performance. What a great service you have done to anyone interested in purchasing this pistol, and what a shame it is that there aren't many more reviews of this caliber for other brands/models.

I can appreciate the amount of time you took out of your personal schedule to do a review like this, and it indicates someone who has a deep and abiding interest in his chosen profession - just the kind of guy I'd want to send a gun to when it needs work. Which brings me to a question - what kind of waiting list do you have for re-working a pistol (no fancy custom stuff, just things for ultimate reliability to make it suitable for duty or everyday carry?)
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh20 View Post
What a fantastic, honest, clinical review. It reminded me of reading the transcript of an autopsy (and I mean that as the highest compliment). It was based on measurable and verifiable facts, not biased opinion. What makes it doubly great is that you put the "patient" back together, and revived it at the range where you were able to relate some of your clinical observations into real-world findings regarding performance. What a great service you have done to anyone interested in purchasing this pistol, and what a shame it is that there aren't many more reviews of this caliber for other brands/models.

I can appreciate the amount of time you took out of your personal schedule to do a review like this, and it indicates someone who has a deep and abiding interest in his chosen profession - just the kind of guy I'd want to send a gun to when it needs work. Which brings me to a question - what kind of waiting list do you have for re-working a pistol (no fancy custom stuff, just things for ultimate reliability to make it suitable for duty or everyday carry?)
Thank you for the compliments. It is a bit of a passion for me, working on and building 1911's. ;-) As far as wait times goes, I'll shoot you a pm.

Respectfully,
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM

Joe, do you know what radius the grip safety is? Im considering going stainless with mine and would like to know which radius to order if I do decide to swap mine out.
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
Joe, do you know what radius the grip safety is? Im considering going stainless with mine and would like to know which radius to order if I do decide to swap mine out.
nevermind, I see you mentioned that in the thread showing your modified SR1911
.220"radius
COTEP #0443 USMC#0311
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
WOW! The SR1911 has it's own section...nice! And thanks for the bump SemperFi1977m.

Rhyno01, there are a number of replacements available from Kensight if you are interested that do not require machining of the slide.

Respectfully,
Hey there,
I looked up this front sight, will it fit the SR1911?
http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight...ted/Detail.bok
And the rear
http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight...ted/Detail.bok
Looks like it has the lock down hole as well, just not sure of measurement. And my gun will not be here untill March, have to wait. But I would like to gather my parts.
Thanks for all the info!!!
Rhyno
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Does anyone really think a $600 1911 will be as good as a $2-4K custom?
I think it can happen. Just the luck of the draw. I have a Kimber that shoots as good as any gun I have even seen. Other shooters say it has been modified. Nothing has been done to it since I bought it except the installation of night sights. My eyes aren't as good as they once were but at 15 yards the gun will shoot sub 1" groups. Eyes don't do well at 25 yards anymore. I would love to shoot this gun in a machine rest to see what it is actually capable of.
Closed Thread