Wilson innovation. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Wilson innovation.

With the new EDC series just being released, it's great to see that Bill and the folks at WC are constantly innovating. I remember seeing ads for the spec ops 9 thinking that was my ticket for my ideal 1911 type pistol. It was a double stack, 9mm with 1911 controls, and the fantastic 1911 trigger. On top of all that, it was a Wilson. However, ergonomically it just didn't work for me, and I parted ways with it shortly. I was thinking that if there was some sort modularity to the spec ops, it would be near perfect.

Fast forward a few years and now we have the EDC 9x. It's modular, has all the best features of the 1911, and it's been re-engineered for the 9mm, has the ARS, high-reliability mags the list goes on. Where I was hoping for just a shorter trigger length with the SO9, we got a whole entirely new package. This is a game changer in my book.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM

IMO, it IS a game-changer. It is much more than a simply re-introduced SO9 in metal frame form, it is a unique offering that I personally think will go far. I have shot both, and the SO9 was a nice gun, but the X9 is much more methinks. I personally thought that the X9 was a superb, newly engineered "state-of-the-art" gun, and when I shot it, I was convinced. I had ordered a XTAC Elite in professional size 9mm, and didn't think I needed another 9mm, but after shooting the X9, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to order an X9 as soon as they were offered. To me, this is the next step of evolution of the 1911 in a 9mm design, and I liked it from the get-go. Not everyone will agree with my assessment; heck, we all have different viewpoints and desires/needs, but I firmly believe many will find it the "cat's meow" of a carry gun for SD.
Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Dillon RL550B
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
IMO, it IS a game-changer. It is much more than a simply re-introduced SO9 in metal frame form, it is a unique offering that I personally think will go far. I have shot both, and the SO9 was a nice gun, but the X9 is much more methinks. I personally thought that the X9 was a superb, newly engineered "state-of-the-art" gun, and when I shot it, I was convinced. I had ordered a XTAC Elite in professional size 9mm, and didn't think I needed another 9mm, but after shooting the X9, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to order an X9 as soon as they were offered. To me, this is the next step of evolution of the 1911 in a 9mm design, and I liked it from the get-go. Not everyone will agree with my assessment; heck, we all have different viewpoints and desires/needs, but I firmly believe many will find it the "cat's meow" of a carry gun for SD.
I haven't held one or shot one (obviously), so I can't say for certain how it will work for me. However, I have confidence that it will be amazing for me. I also believe that because of being able to adapt the size to many shooters' hands, it will be a giant success for a great number of people. I agree with you that this will be a game-changer. I have a feeling that this gun will have such popularity that they will see the need from the market to expand the line. Pretty much just like they did with the X-TAC line. It went from one model to being several models. I think the X9 will wind up becoming available in different sizes and even all steel. We will see different variants of it. Not sure how long that will take, but the success of the initial offering will drive the demand of more offerings. I also believe the X9 will make 2011's come across as "out-dated". That's just a personal opinion, though.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
On Order: Wilson EDC X9

Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
I haven't held one or shot one (obviously), so I can't say for certain how it will work for me. However, I have confidence that it will be amazing for me. I also believe that because of being able to adapt the size to many shooters' hands, it will be a giant success for a great number of people. I agree with you that this will be a game-changer. I have a feeling that this gun will have such popularity that they will see the need from the market to expand the line. Pretty much just like they did with the X-TAC line. It went from one model to being several models. I think the X9 will wind up becoming available in different sizes and even all steel. We will see different variants of it. Not sure how long that will take, but the success of the initial offering will drive the demand of more offerings. I also believe the X9 will make 2011's come across as "out-dated". That's just a personal opinion, though.
First bold: if you remember shooting the Sentinel XL at last year's Bash and like it, this one will really float your boat methinks.

Second bold: I don't know how long that will take either, but I truly believe that it will. While my age is increasing, and I will begin to appreciate the LW frame, the next generation (and yours) will appreciate the balance of the all steel frame too, so IMO, it is a win-win.
Dillon RL550B
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM

I'm already saving up for one. Will take me a year... but I will have this pistol.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlabSlide View Post
With the new EDC series just being released, it's great to see that Bill and the folks at WC are constantly innovating. I remember seeing ads for the spec ops 9 thinking that was my ticket for my ideal 1911 type pistol. It was a double stack, 9mm with 1911 controls, and the fantastic 1911 trigger. On top of all that, it was a Wilson. However, ergonomically it just didn't work for me, and I parted ways with it shortly. I was thinking that if there was some sort modularity to the spec ops, it would be near perfect.

Fast forward a few years and now we have the EDC 9x. It's modular, has all the best features of the 1911, and it's been re-engineered for the 9mm, has the ARS, high-reliability mags the list goes on. Where I was hoping for just a shorter trigger length with the SO9, we got a whole entirely new package. This is a game changer in my book.

So did you order one?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
So did you order one?
Not yet. But very soon, inside of this month.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 AM

X9 is a fine offering, but more than anything it is the capacity enhancement which is the game changer. If it only held 10+1 (oh that's right, isn't that the other new 9 they came out with a while ago - with the reliability enhancement), not such a "rush" to buy. The capacity differential with a 1911ish upper is what drives the desire to own this more than anything MO...That is verses other current WC 9mm offerings (including the last WC 9mm offering several months ago with the reliability enhancements). Vs the ops 9, I have no insight.

The PPQish 9 mag on the X9 is indeed innovative (and arguably, when one boils this architecture down, the most innovative part of the gun - i.e., mating this with a 1911ish upper)). There are other "worlds" where one can buy a high-cap 1911ish 9 or 45, but the cost of the mags are somewhat outlandish. Some folks also claim the 1911ish double stack mags aren't reliable enough outside the range, but most owners of these 2x sti and svi mags swear by them and do use them for carry and even duty, but the cost differential is significant. But competition is good, and if Bill does expand the "high-cap" line with cheaper-poly-type mags, perhaps this will induce the 2011 vendors to "innovate" also (as in find a way to make them cheaper with 100 Reliability).

I still hope WC builds a 45 "equivalent" of the X9 in the years ahead. Just like the X9, if they use a PPQ-45 mag tube as a base, they will have another winner...Short of this, once I get my SVI (also a very innovative company and why I choose them for my 1st 1911 2X-stack (and yes also with a premium-price)) this summer (a range beast not a compact) and assuming it meets my expectations and lives up to its reputation, I'll have to look at an SVI for a compactish 2X stack in 45. (they make 2x-stack compactish too as well as single stacks).

Last edited by combat auto; 03-21-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Interesting thoughts...The X-tac line is just some strap checkering - correct? I hope WC does expand the X9 into other sizes and especially calibers, but it will be a much bigger endeavor than changing strap-checkering (if I am correct on what the Xtack offering "differential" is).

On making the 2011 "out-dated" conceptionally possible, but realistically, far from likely. Just think, WC would have to duplicate all the 2011 offerings (sizes, trim, etc.) across all the various calibers the 2011 vendors offer. And people have to be willing to pay-up for the WC versions vs some of the vendors. This would take many-many years of development, and one would have to assume this is the way Bill wants to drive the company (and gives it a high-priority). Don't get me wrong, would love to see a 45 cal incarnation of Bills 2X-stack, but right now he has a "niche" spot with a 2X-stack carry 1911ish gun in 9mm. Where it goes from here, who knows.

Last edited by combat auto; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM

I really liked the look of the gun when I first saw it, but each time I look at this gun, I see something I didn't catch on to before. Wilson really put some time and effort into the design of this gun. I think this new model will be more revolutionary than the firearms industry may realize right now. I think this is a game-changer. I'd bet with the success of this line, eventually different calibers and full-size options will become available.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Really hoping to see, hold and shoot one at the BASH. Won't be able to make a decision until then, but it really is an innovative option for us 1911 guys. Kudos to Wilson for continuing to evolve.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM

The X Marks The Spot

Agree with the OP, the X is a pretty big deal.

I don't know the all encompassing vision of those involved with the creation of the original X-Tac. Perhaps the purpose was just to have something different in the lineup, while developing an anti-slip grip treatment.

In its basic form, the X treatment is just a simple front strap and slide treatment. But, in many ways, it serves as a bold, artistic, non-traditional, modern looking and fully functional enhancement. Indeed, it's become the foundation for future WC offerings.

The power of the X cannot be denied, the force is substantial, the X will leave a mark.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlabSlide View Post

this new edc X9 is the updates spec ops I have wanted for years. so glad WC listened to us and mad e this happen

thanks WC!!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Really hoping to see, hold and shoot one at the BASH. Won't be able to make a decision until then, but it really is an innovative option for us 1911 guys. Kudos to Wilson for continuing to evolve.
come on MAN-- you know you want one--just do it!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Size, capacity, ergonomics, maker, made this a must buy for me. Caliber not so much, I wish it was in .38 super. But you get what you get and you don't get upset. Maybe down the line sometime we'll see other caliber choices.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
X9 is a fine offering, but more than anything it is the capacity enhancement which is the game changer. If it only held 10+1 (oh that's right, isn't that the other new 9 they came out with a while ago - with the reliability enhancement), not such a "rush" to buy. The capacity differential with a 1911ish upper is what drives the desire to own this more than anything MO...That is verses other current WC 9mm offerings (including the last WC 9mm offering several months ago with the reliability enhancements). Vs the ops 9, I have no insight.

The PPQish 9 mag on the X9 is indeed innovative (and arguably, when one boils this architecture down, the most innovative part of the gun - i.e., mating this with a 1911ish upper)). There are other "worlds" where one can buy a high-cap 1911ish 9 or 45, but the cost of the mags are somewhat outlandish. Some folks also claim the 1911ish double stack mags aren't reliable enough outside the range, but most owners of these 2x sti and svi mags swear by them and do use them for carry and even duty, but the cost differential is significant. But competition is good, and if Bill does expand the "high-cap" line with cheaper-poly-type mags, perhaps this will induce the 2011 vendors to "innovate" also (as in find a way to make them cheaper with 100 Reliability).

I still hope WC builds a 45 "equivalent" of the X9 in the years ahead. Just like the X9, if they use a PPQ-45 mag tube as a base, they will have another winner...Short of this, once I get my SVI (also a very innovative company and why I choose them for my 1st 1911 2X-stack (and yes also with a premium-price)) this summer (a range beast not a compact) and assuming it meets my expectations and lives up to its reputation, I'll have to look at an SVI for a compactish 2X stack in 45. (they make 2x-stack compactish too as well as single stacks).

CA have you asked out WC rep or WC CS if they plan to make it in 45 acp? or could they do it for you sinc et he mags are walther copies. it might be possible
Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Agree with the OP, the X is a pretty big deal.

I don't know the all encompassing vision of those involved with the creation of the original X-Tac. Perhaps the purpose was just to have something different in the lineup, while developing an anti-slip grip treatment.

In its basic form, the X treatment is just a simple front strap and slide treatment. But, in many ways, it serves as a bold, artistic, non-traditional, modern looking and fully functional enhancement. Indeed, it's become the foundation for future WC offerings.

The power of the X cannot be denied, the force is substantial, the X will leave a mark.

Another great picture C, and I still love those custom panels you had made for the X.

I found that the X pattern had the perfect width, depth, radius, etc to hold a hand to the gun, not the other way around. When I first wrote about it I commented that there had to be a lot of science / R&D behind it, to which WCR said "Bill designed it one afternoon. That's how he is."
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
CA have you asked out WC rep or WC CS if they plan to make it in 45 acp? or could they do it for you sinc et he mags are walther copies. it might be possible
Hi Boat, I asked Bill Wilson when he was posting last week...He gave me an honest answer, something to the affect that WC needs to get through the X9-launch and see how things go...Next up he indicated is a rifle project...So he left it "open", but didn't give a warm fuzzy that it will happen, though. We can "hope" but my assessment reading some articles he wrote in Combat Hanguns last year, and looking at where the newer batch of innovative products landed, he is in to the 9mm platform these days.

If 45 ever does happen, it will be a couple of years away I suspect...Don't get me wrong, one can go to SVI or STI to get compactish and commander sized 2011 double stacks in 45, but I wouldn't mind getting one with the unique WC "style". -Got to keep up with the "Joneses" you know ;-).
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 PM

I have to be totally honest, the hybrid guns combining the best aspects of "striker-fired, 1911, pre-cocked hammer fired, high-capacity, etc etc" have never held much appeal. To me, it seemed that the best route to go was to simply buy and carry the platform that you like the best with so many quality offerings these days. There has always been just something a little off about most of the "Frankenstein" guns I have handled. However, I am incredibly interested in the X9. I cannot wait to see and handle one in the future. It looks from my vantage point that Wilson Combat has a homerun product here.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Interesting thoughts...The X-tac line is just some strap checkering - correct? I hope WC does expand the X9 into other sizes and especially calibers, but it will be a much bigger endeavor than changing strap-checkering (if I am correct on what the Xtack offering "differential" is).

On making the 2011 "out-dated" conceptionally possible, but realistically, far from likely. Just think, WC would have to duplicate all the 2011 offerings (sizes, trim, etc.) across all the various calibers the 2011 vendors offer. And people have to be willing to pay-up for the WC versions vs some of the vendors. This would take many-many years of development, and one would have to assume this is the way Bill wants to drive the company (and gives it a high-priority). Don't get me wrong, would love to see a 45 cal incarnation of Bills 2X-stack, but right now he has a "niche" spot with a 2X-stack carry 1911ish gun in 9mm. Where it goes from here, who knows.
Yes, the X-TAC is basically a CQB with an "X" pattern on the frame and slide. Also, it comes parkerized as it's standard finish. It was originally the "entry level" Wilson when it came out. But the X-TAC model became quite popular. The finish was being upgraded, and other options were being added to it by customers also. Then new models were requested. Over time, more models became available with the "X" pattern. That's what I meant by the X-TAC line being expanded. I believe we could see the same thing happen with the EDC X9 over time.

I'm going to have to disagree about your points on the 2011. Wilson doesn't have to offer all the calibers and sizes available in a 2011 to make the 2011 seem like an "out-dated" design. Wilson essentially "made a better mousetrap" with the X9. A 2011 in 9mm is larger than the X9. The X9 is a bit more customizable in regards to hand sizing than a 2011. I think the design of the X9 is what makes the 2011 seem more "out-dated". It's a more modern and optimized version. I don't think the X9 has out-dated the 2011 yet. That would be crazy talk. The X9 would need to grow more, prove itself, and get a foothold in the market. If the X9 line expands, grows with a lot of popularity, and eventually is manufactured by other companies (obviously after Wilson's patent runs out) to get different price points, I think the 2011 will lose a whole lot of marketshare to the X9 (or X9 variants from other companies).

I'm not knocking the 2011. Just giving my opinion on what I think the X9 is capable of doing to the market.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, Tactical Supergrade, Tactical Elite .38S, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact .38S Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Exec Carry, Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom: Full Custom, Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that this will be a game-changer. see the need from the market to expand the line. I think the X9 will wind up becoming available in different sizes and even all steel.

I don't care what else they do to it. I don't care about other calibers or other sizes. To offer an all steel gun shouldn't be more difficult than offering it for sale and putting steel forgings in the CNC instead of aluminum forgings. I want one, but won't pull the trigger until it's all steel. At $3K, I want steel. At $1k, I can live with aluminum.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, the X-TAC is basically a CQB with an "X" pattern on the frame and slide. Also, it comes parkerized as it's standard finish. It was originally the "entry level" Wilson when it came out. But the X-TAC model became quite popular. The finish was being upgraded, and other options were being added to it by customers also. Then new models were requested. Over time, more models became available with the "X" pattern. That's what I meant by the X-TAC line being expanded. I believe we could see the same thing happen with the EDC X9 over time.

I'm going to have to disagree about your points on the 2011. Wilson doesn't have to offer all the calibers and sizes available in a 2011 to make the 2011 seem like an "out-dated" design. Wilson essentially "made a better mousetrap" with the X9. A 2011 in 9mm is larger than the X9. The X9 is a bit more customizable in regards to hand sizing than a 2011. I think the design of the X9 is what makes the 2011 seem more "out-dated". It's a more modern and optimized version. I don't think the X9 has out-dated the 2011 yet. That would be crazy talk. The X9 would need to grow more, prove itself, and get a foothold in the market. If the X9 line expands, grows with a lot of popularity, and eventually is manufactured by other companies (obviously after Wilson's patent runs out) to get different price points, I think the 2011 will lose a whole lot of marketshare to the X9 (or X9 variants from other companies).

I'm not knocking the 2011. Just giving my opinion on what I think the X9 is capable of doing to the market.
The X9 has the advantage of cheaper mags over a 2011, that is for sure. And I do want an "X-45", but put aside the cool WC aesthetics because this is a subjective matter (which some shooters gravitate too and some shooters aren't so concerned with), and the reliability enhancements because that is just bringing the functionality on par with everyone else that claims 100% reliability (although it does make good copy), the X9 capacity with a semi-poly mag derivative is the main benefit. WC has a nice little carry package in the X9, to speculate its "decedents" will supplant all the 2011 guns from commanders, to 5" guns, to limited competition guns, to open competition guns, etc., etc., takes a leap of faith. In M.O., it will be another buy option, but 2011's will be around for a very long time (as will the traditional 1911 of course).

One might make an analogy with the WC-45-FW mags. In the 1911 world, these are the best mags around, but as much as I promote them ;-) on the 1911 forum every time the question comes up, folks still buy regular ETMs and a host of mags from many other vendors. One might think the FW mags made the other mags "outdated", they are certainly a superior technology (better mouse trap), but rather than out-dating the other mags they settled in as just another option.

Last edited by combat auto; 03-21-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipes View Post
I don't care what else they do to it. I don't care about other calibers or other sizes. To offer an all steel gun shouldn't be more difficult than offering it for sale and putting steel forgings in the CNC instead of aluminum forgings. I want one, but won't pull the trigger until it's all steel. At $3K, I want steel. At $1k, I can live with aluminum.
In the long run, they may indeed make it in an all steel; but remember that this iteration is for a CARRY gun, so the alloy frame is for reducing weight to make it an improved carry gun. All steel is a bit harder on the machining bits, but technically is no more difficult than offering the alloy - the alloy just reduces wear on the bits and makes the gun functionally more attractive for carry purposes for most folks. I still have a preference for all steel myself, but as I age and discover how much easier the alloy makes my carry mission, this model as offered becomes more significant. Just an observation.
Dillon RL550B
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The X9 has the advantage of cheaper mags over a 2011, that is for sure. And I do want an "X-45", but put aside the cool WC aesthetics because this is a subjective matter (which some shooters gravitate too and some shooters aren't so concerned with), and the reliability enhancements because that is just bringing the functionality on par with everyone else that claims 100% reliability (although it does make good copy), the X9 capacity with a semi-poly mag derivative is the main benefit. WC has a nice little carry package in the X9, to speculate its "decedents" will supplant all the 2011 guns from commanders, to 5" guns, to limited competition guns, to open competition guns, etc., etc., takes a leap of faith. In M.O., it will be another buy option, but 2011's will be around for a very long time (as will the traditional 1911 of course).

One might make an analogy with the WC-45-FW mags. In the 1911 world, these are the best mags around, but as much as I promote them ;-) on the 1911 forum every time the question comes up, folks still buy regular ETMs and a host of mags from many other vendors. One might think the FW mags made the other mags "outdated", they are certainly a superior technology (better mouse trap), but rather than out-dating the other mags they settled in as just another option.
By "out-dated", I don't mean the 2011 would disappear. I don't even want them to disappear. They are still different enough to justify a place in the market. I like there being more options.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:34 AM

Well if Wilson does make a 45 acp version of the X9, what does that look like exactly? Is it a single stack or a double stack?