Ruger Redhawk trigger job? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Ruger Redhawk trigger job?

I have a SS Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt with a 5.5" barrel. I like it a lot, however the single action trigger pull is very heavy; too heavy for consistent, off-hand accuracy. I have read reports on the internet (and you know that if it's on the internet it must be true) that these triggers cannot be made smooth and light enough to be worth the investment to have a 'smith touch them.

Since advertised prices for trigger jobs run about $175, I don't want to consider making a poor investment. Need first-hand information. Anyone have a trigger job done on a Redhawk with good results?

Thanks, in advance, for the input!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Try Triggershims.com.
They sell an assortment of springs and shims that will help. I find it difficult to credit a single action pull that is too heavy on a Redhawk. There is a lot that can be done to the gun that really doesn't involve trigger parts other than deburring the moving parts. The inner machining on the Ruger revolvers is pretty rough and some fine stoning inside there on the frame can be rewarding. All of this is do it yourself and the parts are pretty cheap. DO NOT attempt to adjust any sear or hammer hook engagement surfaces. You can polish the sides of the components but leave the sliding parts alone except for a little kiss to break sharp edges on the sides.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM

They can be made smooth as silk. A spring helps. The Redhawk uses 1 spring , and most kits contain 3. Use the lightest one that gives reliable ignition and trigger return.