I'm a Taurus fan, but. . . - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM
drill sergeant drill sergeant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 186
I'm a Taurus fan, but. . .

I have owned Taurus handguns and enjoyed them (especially the PT1911); however just found out what their service is all about. Returned a Millennium G2 9mm for service. I was informed that I should not expect completed service for 6-8 weeks. Wow!

Not upset that the firearm had to be returned; stuff happens. 6-8 weeks seems like a ridiculously long time for a repair, however. I guess sales are really good or they are grossly understaffed.

Recently sent a Ruger for service and it was returned within 7 working days (no kidding). That is SERVICE.

This will make a difference in my decisions about future purchases. Too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Tsquare4811 Tsquare4811 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 180
It depends on their workload. I had a 9 day turn-a-round on my PT92AF about a year ago.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
RazorBurn RazorBurn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Age: 45
Posts: 1,208
I've experienced four to six week turnarounds from Springfield Armory. So? I've still had excellent service from them, and I knew upfront what the expected time frame would be. Now, if you sent in your pistol for a 2 week turnaround, but it took 6 to 8 weeks then I would expect you to be dissatisfied. So they told you 6 to 8 weeks, so what.

Did they actually do anything wrong? A man wiser than me once said to "underpromise and overdeliver", and I still work by that rule everyday. I'd rather a company tell me it's going to take 8 weeks, but deliver on week 4 than tell me 2 weeks and deliver after 6 weeks.

This thread is glaring proof of someone upset over absolutely nothing other than not hearing what they wanted to hear.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM
mr380acp mr380acp is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 432
Diamondback sent me a slide within a week, so I think 6-8 weeks is quite a while
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2017, 06:18 PM
drill sergeant drill sergeant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
I've experienced four to six week turnarounds from Springfield Armory. So? I've still had excellent service from them, and I knew upfront what the expected time frame would be. Now, if you sent in your pistol for a 2 week turnaround, but it took 6 to 8 weeks then I would expect you to be dissatisfied. So they told you 6 to 8 weeks, so what.

Did they actually do anything wrong? A man wiser than me once said to "underpromise and overdeliver", and I still work by that rule everyday. I'd rather a company tell me it's going to take 8 weeks, but deliver on week 4 than tell me 2 weeks and deliver after 6 weeks.

This thread is glaring proof of someone upset over absolutely nothing other than not hearing what they wanted to hear.
Thank you so much so your cleaver insights. This is the longest that I have had to wait on any repair. It disappointed me. Glad to learn that you are not disappointed.

Please don't answer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 PM
RazorBurn RazorBurn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Age: 45
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by drill sergeant View Post
Thank you so much so your cleaver insights. This is the longest that I have had to wait on any repair. It disappointed me. Glad to learn that you are not disappointed.

Please don't answer. Thanks!
Enjoy living life with unmet expectations!

As long as work is done properly, I don't mind waiting. As the old adage goes, you can have fast, good, or cheap. Pick two!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 PM
JRL003 JRL003 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by drill sergeant View Post
I have owned Taurus handguns and enjoyed them (especially the PT1911); however just found out what their service is all about. Returned a Millennium G2 9mm for service. I was informed that I should not expect completed service for 6-8 weeks. Wow!

Not upset that the firearm had to be returned; stuff happens. 6-8 weeks seems like a ridiculously long time for a repair, however. I guess sales are really good or they are grossly understaffed.

Recently sent a Ruger for service and it was returned within 7 working days (no kidding). That is SERVICE.

This will make a difference in my decisions about future purchases. Too bad.
They will have it back sooner

I've sent a couple in and got 'em back in 7-12 days
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
drill sergeant drill sergeant is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: AZ
Posts: 186
Final thoughts. . .

Just couldn't help yourself, I see. Here's what I've learned about business:

The 'Two Out of Three" concept cited is OK for good companies. In fact, it is my belief that the little ditty was coined by a good company. Good companies are common and easy to find. They will regularly produce only two out of the three. They do only what they believe is expected of them; what consumers have come to expect. Unfortunately, too many of us have come to accept and expect good companies; as we have come to accept good politicians.

Great companies, however, routinely provide "Three Out of Three". They work hard to provide that extra service that others will not, cannot or refuse to provide. Just look at the rental car industry. Why would anyone consider starting an auto rental company and go against the 'Big Three' (you know their names)? Well, that's exactly what one couple did; out of their garage, no less. They offered services that the big guys wouldn’t'. They actually delivered rental cars to clients. They have grown to become the largest company in the rental car industry - Enterprise.

Every company will make mistakes. The value of a company should not be determined by mistakes made; unless, of course everything they do is a mistake or they continue to make the same mistakes over and over. The value of a company should be based upon their actions when they discover that a mistake has been made. Will they simply look up at the “Two Out of Three” quote on their wall, shrug their corporate shoulders and do what all other ‘good’ companies do? Or should they do what the great companies do and ‘make it happen’ for the consumer?

We, as consumers, have become dull to the way great companies used to provide service. The old adage of “The customer is always right” has been altered to what too many consumers are now willing to accept. I get it – profit is the primary motive for the lack of employee training and abuse of consumers. Eventually, however, this motive will fail the company. Just check out all of the billion dollar companies that have closed their doors over the past five years; mostly because they failed at customer satisfaction.

Taurus is a good company. I’ve owned their PT1911 for some time now. It was about $500 dollars when I purchased it new. To me it was acquired as a cheap, knock around piece. It was bought to take wear off my real 1911’s. My thought was to shoot it until it dies and then use it for a paper weight. Well, I was wrong. It is a fine piece of machinery. It does everything my hand-built $3,000+ 1911 does. I have never had a malfunction with the PT1911; with any loading. It is as accurate as I require. Maybe it’s not hand-fitted or as pretty, but it runs. What else can anyone want from a defensive handgun?

Taurus is a good company, but in my opinion they need to become a great company. Just check out the many negatives on the net about Taurus. Most derive from poor quality control or lack-luster service issues. These are just the differentiators that move companies from good to great. So yes, I’m disappointed in such a long turnaround time for service. Just because a pistol is inexpensive (compared to others in the marketplace) does not mean that I should be willing to accept less than stellar service.

Feel free to criticize my disappointment. Feel free to accept whatever you feel as reasonable service; that is your prerogative. And no, this is certainly not what I wanted to hear from Taurus. I wanted a pleasant greeting and to hear my name used in subsequent phone calls. I wanted fast, reliable service. I wanted more. I am the customer and I am always right. Great companies will react accordingly.

Good is no longer enough. A company needs to be great in order to thrive in highly competitive industries. Only the company willing to go ‘above and beyond’ the average will stand out from the rest. Taurus can become an industry leader and shed its negative image, if it is willing to do what others will not do.

Differentiation in products is nice. Taurus certainly designs and manufactures many innovative products; but differentiation in people (employees and consumers) is the key to making companies rise above the rest. Emphasizing employee training and customer satisfaction are the important issues. The 'Two Out of Three' company will never attain to this level. Never.

By the way, always remember that for most things in life good is the enemy of great!

This will end my participation in this thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved