Time to buy or avoid Colt 1911s? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Time to buy or avoid Colt 1911s?

Sorry for the neophyte question, but I haven't owned a Colt since my TALO NA a few years back. I am considering something basic like the 1991 series, but with the state of Colt and the recent layoffs, I have paused ... is QC a legit concern with the current flux at Colt, or is it nothing to worry about? I realize $700-800 is quite a bit less than many Colt enthusiasts spend, but it is still a good chunk of $ that I don't want to take a big chance with. I'm hopeful Colt weathers the storm and continues to produce solid firearms and doesn't end up like Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, etc. and the Ilion, NY QC fiasco, but a company that is downsizing always endures morale issues as well, and that can lead to shoddy products. Trust in Colt or caveat emptor?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Up to you to determine your risk threshold.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:06 PM

I've been avoiding Colt products for more than a quarter century. I see no reason to change that now.........

Old 03-19-2017, 04:36 PM

I just went thru a decision to buy another Colt. It is a Series 70 Gov't Level 2 By the time it gets into my hands I will have $1.200 total in it.
I would not think twice about buying a bare bones series 70 at $840 since I own one that's a few years old. A great gun.

I don't part with money easily...did not have a lot when I grew up...and now that I am more comfortable. I just view money the same way I did when I was young.

I would not even worry about Colt till after gov't contract goes away in 2020.
There is an entire industry of aftermarket parts as someone here pointed out. Parts going forward are going to be there regardless of what happens to Colt.

The way I see it besides awful management they have a real union problem. Unions almost destroyed the auto industry and it looks to me as though the union at Colt would rather throw the company away, than give concessions.

Colt has a lot of old equipment (expensive to replace) that and the greedy union and stupid management usually is a bad mix for success.

Last edited by FDM1; 03-19-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 PM

Some of the new Colts I seen were ruff.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM

They have gotten better in recent years. I always like to look at any gun I buy before I plop down the money, so rarely buy over the intergoogle. In recent years one is more likely to get a great Colt sight unseen.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:04 PM

I foresee nothing but problems the way Colt has been going. If you want one for history's sake I'd get one quick. They still make a good platform for a custom build.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM

Don't buy any; more for me.
~Jeff Cooper
Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I foresee nothing but problems the way Colt has been going. If you want one for history's sake I'd get one quick. They still make a good platform for a custom build.
I agree.Seems like Colt management are anti gun.Only way I can rationalize an icon like Colt have the problems they have had.With that,I still like Colt ,the current production are some of my favorites.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM

I'm holding until Brent comes back.
My last purchase would have been a dud without his support.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:37 PM

Ibtl
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM

I just bought one and put another on layaway. I'm not even close to having much money, probably few poorer than me but there are things I am willing to give up so that I can swing buying guns and they are pretty much Colts.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM

I know this is more appearance related but Colt is one of the only manufactures beside Metro Arms that still offer a beautiful blued finish on a 1911 ....for less than $700. Although more popular among manufacturers is the stainless steel finish of matt bead blasted rounds and machined flats but Colt is still offering that finish on several of their entry level 1911's and its superbly done.

I predict that some time in the future these finishes may give away to cut costs, remain competitive. Just blued (no final polishing) and plain bead blasted ( no machined flats). I love these two finishes on a 1911! I think there going to be gone soon. The parts in my plane jane 01991 are solid, the gun disassembles and reassembles easier than ANY 1911 I have ever had. People speak of the dreaded sharp edges on the slide but to me, I have always associated sharp edges on any all metal pistol with quality. The edges on my 01991's slide are laser straight, sharp and finely finished.

Just my .02, but get one while you can. I seriously doubt that you will be able to find these things in the near future on a sub $800 1911. If you do, it probably wont be a Colt.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Most of what you will find on the shelf currently was probally produced in the back half of 2016. I don't think quality control was a concern last year.
As far as what to buy that is a personal decison. I will say I see used colts bringing close to what news ones cost. I don't think you will loose any money in the long run.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 PM

I just picked up a stainless 9mm Competition model yesterday. It's well finished. Has a nice slide/frame fit. The thumb safety is properly fit and has no over travel. I ran 200 through it yesterday afternoon with no drama.

I think for someone to proclaim they're not going to buy any Colt products because they had some layoffs is patently silly and a public proclamation that they no absolutely nothing about how a cyclic business is run. I suppose they'll boycott all of the automakers who've had layoffs as well. Ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker50 View Post
I've been avoiding Colt products for more than a quarter century. I see no reason to change that now.........
Yet here you are.....for whatever reason....on the Colt forum.

??????
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM

After Colt came out of its dark ages of the 1980s, they gradually came back to a quality level not seen since the 1960s. Their handgun products of the last 10-15 years don't draw any complaints from the aficionados & collectors on the other Colt Forums.

This Series 70 I bought new in late 2015 has nothing shabby about it, and the SAA revolvers are as fine as they've ever been in my lifetime .... if new ones can be found.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 PM

I would buy one if I could hold it in my hand and examine it. Other than that I would say it's a roll of the dice. The last three I purchased I looked them over pretty closely and got a decent (one exceptional) pistol.

If you don't know what you are looking at or buying on line I wouldn't do it. Just too much turmoil in a down cycle. Moral is probably pretty low there right now. Waiting around for a pink slip isn't real conducive to doing a first rate job.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 03-19-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 PM

I have over 30 Colt 1911s bought since the mid 1970s. This last year I purchased seven, and can say all are fine guns. All are tight and shoot well. No rattle and shake like a lot talk about on this forum, or safes that do not work right. The only thing I do to them is a trigger job, the ones bought last year all ran about 4-1/2 to 5 lbs, with a little creap, I adjusted all to 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 lbs. All were ordered for me, so I had no chance to look before I bought, yet they were all still okay. I also would not worry about the layoffs, Colt is not the only one laying off workers. Other gun manufacturers are doing the same. I know Brent was a good guy, but crap happens in industry.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM

If you want one check it out in person and make sure it is as it should be, and make note of any changes or modificati NSA that you want to make and budget accordingly.

I saw a beautiful Railed Combat gun today. Front strap was checkered, really nice gun.

There are a lot of good COLTS out there.

Like I said just make sure you handle it in person and that it passes all of the usual checks.

Please be aware that there is also a member named Tom R. He and I are two different Site Members.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
Don't buy any; more for me.
You are welcome to them. Quality control left the building a long while ago.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma3034 View Post
You are welcome to them. Quality control left the building a long while ago.
Well, it is a production gun like everything else out there that isn't custom or semi-custom.

I just bought new Ruger and it went back a week ago. That doesn't mean I won't buy another one. Just means I know there can be some dogs and they need to stand behind their product. If they fix it or send me a new rifle I'm not going to bad mouth the company.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 PM

I don't have experience with any post-2013 guns. The word I'd heard was that the 2000 era colts were of pretty good quality. I saw a series 80 government model in a shop a few months ago, and Imo it looked and felt fine. I think the key is to look over the gun in person prior to purchase (the same generally applies to all guns).

I think people tend to carry weird expectations with regards to 1911s. As far as 600-1000 dollar 1911s go, colt seems to me to be the go to. Realistically they shoot straight, and are easy to work on (they tend to have good sear/disconnect/hammer arrangement - just buy a bastard file and fit a 30 dollar trigger). From my perspective it doesn't make sense to spend 1800+ on a "custom" gun, when you could buy a baselevel colt and send it off for work at the same price. Different strokes I guess... then again I don't know about the quality on the most recently produced guns.

Last edited by nine; 03-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheOzone View Post
Well, it is a production gun like everything else out there that isn't custom or semi-custom.

I just bought new Ruger and it went back a week ago. That doesn't mean I won't buy another one. Just means I know there can be some dogs and they need to stand behind their product. If they fix it or send me a new rifle I'm not going to bad mouth the company.
Having a lemon now and then happens to everyone now and then. I had a RIA that went back immediately from a chipped crown. Use it as my ccw now. Firing all your CS people doesnt bode well for how that service call is handled, however. It look like they are in the midst of relocation, which tanks every aspect of production.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Colt seems to be the Rodney Dangerfield of gun companies these days. They get no respect. Of course a lot of their reputation has been self-inflicted, but a lot of it is also baloney perpetrated by gunshop commandos and Brand X snobs. The biggest single complaint I have with Colt is that they refuse to sell the guns they make with cosmetic flaws as blem guns, but instead sell them at full retail and act like there's nothing wrong with them. Aside from that huge annoyance the fact is Colt handguns almost always run perfectly straight out of the box, which is more than I can say for a few other brands in the same price range. If you get a good one, and most of them are, you'll be a happy Colt customer. But if you order one sight unseen and it arrives with a finish or machining flaw then you'll probably be in for a rough ride since you won't have Brent to back you up.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1946 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.