IDPA and other shooting comp questions - STI - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM
peterk12334 peterk12334 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 28
IDPA and other shooting comp questions - STI

So, I am thinking of making a fool out of myself and going to an idpa event. What holsters will work with the marauder and how many magazines will I need to have? Anything else I will need? Thanks Pete
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM
kro77 kro77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 55
Hey Pete,

Take a look at bladetech it is a good option for not crazy money. In terms if mags I would recomend 3 but 2 will work as well just more reloads to start at 11.

I use the gcode mag carriers but it is personal preference. I would also recommend three still idpa mag bases.

Hope to see you out at the club.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Rwehavinfunyet Rwehavinfunyet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,523
Using the STI Marauder in IDPA

I shoot an STI Eagle 9mm in IDPA. What you will need:

holster choices: CR-Speed, Blade-Tech, Double Alpha, Ghost, Comp-Tac

Belt: A good belt that is thick enough to support the weight, and the belt width should be able to fit the belts loops of your shooting pants easily.....I use a 1.25" wide belt that is thick enough to support the weight of the loaded mags and the gun.

Mag Carriers: You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed. I use three 126 mm STI 2011 flush fit mags.

Magazine base plates: You should use 126mm flush fit mags with their thinner base plates, since longer mags with thicker base plates will most likely not allow the gun to fit in the IDPA box, which would make the gun illegal to shoot in IDPA. However, the Match Director may not care at a local match.

You will also want to have good eye and ear protection; you will need a cover garment to conceal the handgun for most stages.

It would be a good idea to read the 2017 rulebook before your first match. You can go to the IDPA web site for the rule book: www.idpa.com
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
kro77 kro77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 55
I meant to say the dawson idpa bases. They fit great and work in the esp box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Dewey43890 Dewey43890 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 294
I’m coming into this discussion late, but by all means, go to an event; perhaps your first one, just to watch. Most folks are very friendly, and if you speak to the people running the match and let them know you are thinking about shooting a match in the future, they’ll be very supportive.

I used my Eagle in IDPA and loved it. Bladtech holster and double mag holster; both paddle attachments.
__________________
STI =
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Jim Watson Jim Watson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florence, Alabama, USA
Posts: 18,231
Quote:
You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed.
Uh, no.
IDPA only allows two reload magazines on your person unless your gun capacity is less than 8. You will never have to get more than 18 hits on one start, surely 31 rounds is enough. Things are different in USPSA or IPSC.

So three will get you by.
You only get ten rounds in each magazine plus one in the chamber to start.
So mark one magazine - I just put a target paster on the bottom - and load it with 11 so you can get to 10+1 with a minimum of gun handling.

As said, for regulation IDPA you will need 126mm magazines.
You might have to narrow that big mag well, too, The Box is 1 5/8" deep.
At a club match, they will probably be glad enough to see you not to hold you to the letter of the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM
v1911 v1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,342
If your marauder came with the proper tactical magwell (has the cutouts on the sides) then you're still legal.
__________________
Paul V.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Rwehavinfunyet Rwehavinfunyet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,523
Extra magazines carried on your person for IDPA competition

Here is the information taken from the new 2017 rule book:

8.1.5 Loading Device Count

A. A “loading device” is a magazine, speed loader, or moon clip.

B. Shooters starting with 8 or more rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus two additional loading devices.

C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three additional loading devices.

D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus four additional loading devices.

E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-05-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM
sstephns sstephns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Age: 30
Posts: 195
Go shoot USPSA. Skip the IDPA phase. You'll thank me later
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 AM
assaultthesalt assaultthesalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephns View Post
Go shoot USPSA. Skip the IDPA phase. You'll thank me later
^^^^^ LOL...Funny, but right on point !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 AM
rbert0005 rbert0005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mass
Age: 67
Posts: 6,045
I tried to like IDPA. The million rules and penalties just wore me out.

Very disappointing when you go and shoot really well, then the proceedurals get tacked on.

Bob
__________________
I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.
COTEP 004
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is online now
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 20,135
If you are shooting well, you are not getting any penalties.
I might not shoot really well, but I doubt I've earned fifteen PEs in fifteen years of IDPA competition.
Read the rules and follow them.
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
rangertrace rangertrace is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephns View Post
Go shoot USPSA. Skip the IDPA phase. You'll thank me later
I disagree. After shooting USPSA for since 2008, I shot my first IDPA match last week. I think it's a great way to start and may even be a better fit for someone who really wants to improve their concealed carry shooting. While hard core USPSA guys with complain about all the rules and not shooting enough rounds per stage/match, it can be a good thing for someone on a strict budget. That, and there really is no reason to spend hundreds on fancy belts, holsters and mag pouches.

So, I would say shoot whichever one is more convenient for you and if possible, both.
__________________
IDPA #A704306
USPSA #A-61090
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Quack Quack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 9,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephns View Post
Go shoot USPSA. Skip the IDPA phase. You'll thank me later
Best advice
__________________
1911 Therapy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
sstephns sstephns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Age: 30
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
I disagree. After shooting USPSA for since 2008, I shot my first IDPA match last week. I think it's a great way to start and may even be a better fit for someone who really wants to improve their concealed carry shooting. While hard core USPSA guys with complain about all the rules and not shooting enough rounds per stage/match, it can be a good thing for someone on a strict budget. That, and there really is no reason to spend hundreds on fancy belts, holsters and mag pouches.

So, I would say shoot whichever one is more convenient for you and if possible, both.
I agree and disagree. It's a bit like golf or any other sport which requires equipment to participate. You can spend a little or a lot.

You can go shoot USPSA Production with your standard Glock 19, bring 5-6 mags and some holsters, and have a blast. Yes, you're going to shoot more ammo. You can shoot from concealment if you want to, nothing says you can't. You can stay behind walls if you want, nothing says you can't. To me, more shooting is more fun, no matter how you spin it.

You can go spend tons of money too, if you want to play in those divisions. I did, and I love it. But you don't have to, you can run a leather belt, a paddle holster, and a bunch of cheap uncle mikes mag pouches and shoot and have fun.

If you're shooting either one to be competitive at a high level, you have to put money into it. Period.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 AM
rangertrace rangertrace is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephns View Post
I agree and disagree. It's a bit like golf or any other sport which requires equipment to participate. You can spend a little or a lot.

You can go shoot USPSA Production with your standard Glock 19, bring 5-6 mags and some holsters, and have a blast. Yes, you're going to shoot more ammo. You can shoot from concealment if you want to, nothing says you can't. You can stay behind walls if you want, nothing says you can't. To me, more shooting is more fun, no matter how you spin it.

You can go spend tons of money too, if you want to play in those divisions. I did, and I love it. But you don't have to, you can run a leather belt, a paddle holster, and a bunch of cheap uncle mikes mag pouches and shoot and have fun.

If you're shooting either one to be competitive at a high level, you have to put money into it. Period.
The main difference is, if you shoot USPSA, you will most likely and very quickly feel compelled to spend more money on gear. I did and I don't regret it for a second. But now that I have a kid and a couple grand a month less spending money, I can see how IDPA could be a cheaper alternative.
__________________
IDPA #A704306
USPSA #A-61090
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM
v1911 v1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,342
And realistically, what we compete in may also be determined by work schedule, local clubs and family duties.

IDPA is vastly more available to me than USPSA. If I shot USPSA, with my current work/life balance, I'd shoot 1 match a month tops. With IDPA, I shoot 3-5 times a month.

OP, just take that 1st step and show up to a match, any match. See that the club assigns you a mentor and when you step up to the line, remind the SO/RO that this is your 1st time. Take your time and above all else, follow the safety rules. Focus on what you need to shoot, where you're going next, that you gun is always facing down range and you finger is never in the trigger guard unless you're aiming to take a shot.
__________________
Paul V.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Dewey43890 Dewey43890 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1911 View Post
And realistically, what we compete in may also be determined by work schedule, local clubs and family duties.

IDPA is vastly more available to me than USPSA. If I shot USPSA, with my current work/life balance, I'd shoot 1 match a month tops. With IDPA, I shoot 3-5 times a month.

OP, just take that 1st step and show up to a match, any match. See that the club assigns you a mentor and when you step up to the line, remind the SO/RO that this is your 1st time. Take your time and above all else, follow the safety rules. Focus on what you need to shoot, where you're going next, that you gun is always facing down range and you finger is never in the trigger guard unless you're aiming to take a shot.
^^^
__________________
STI =
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is online now
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 20,135
Quote:
Mag Carriers: You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed.
Quote:
Uh, no.
IDPA only allows two reload magazines on your person unless your gun capacity is less than 8
There have been shenanigans concerning how many mags you are allowed to "carry".
The rules address how many you may use during a string, but not specifically now many you have on your person.
It was common when shooting the classifier, to have two mags on your belt for use on a given string, and three or four additional mags in a pocket, to avoid having to re-charge two or three mags during a 30-round stage.
It was also common to load hi-cap magazines to their physical capacity for the same reason; if you can shoot three, six-round strings with one mag, why bother with three mags?
The rules evolved to allow both the "carrying" of more mags than are going to be used, and loading more rounds than division rules, for the sake of efficiency.
What that led to, was people "carrying" two mags on the belt, and two mags in a pocket, and then mixing and matching to suit specific stages, sometimes drawing from the belt, and sometimes from a pocket.
Now, there appears to be no rule about how many mags you have on your person, but you must be consistent about where the mags are drawn from, making the total number of mags a non-issue.
Virtually everyone shooting CDP will have the mag in the gun, two reloads, and a barney mag in a pocket, and that's legal.
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Jim Watson Jim Watson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florence, Alabama, USA
Posts: 18,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Now, there appears to be no rule about how many mags you have on your person, but you must be consistent about where the mags are drawn from, making the total number of mags a non-issue.
Virtually everyone shooting CDP will have the mag in the gun, two reloads, and a barney mag in a pocket, and that's legal.
Actually, there is a rule:
8.1.5 Loading Device Count
A. A “loading device” is a magazine, speed loader, or moon clip.
B. Shooters starting with 8 or more rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
two additional loading devices.
C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three
additional loading devices.
D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
four additional loading devices.
E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string.


Nobody is going to hassle you about a Barney magazine... until you reload the gun with it during the stage.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is online now
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 20,135
That has already been posted in this thread; doesn't it address only how many you can "use"?
A,B,C, and D don't use that word, but I'm thinking E refers back to them?
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Jim Watson Jim Watson is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Florence, Alabama, USA
Posts: 18,231
Same question, same answer.
The rules are not a marvel of clarity but that is no reason to play bedroll lawyer.
The magazine in the gun and two reloads. Barney is a convenience but don't reload with it.
Just shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM
RickB's Avatar
RickB RickB is online now
1911 Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Not Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 20,135
The barney mag is an example of a mag that you carry, that you don't use.

Because mags may be carried but not used, it might encourage someone who isn't familiar with the rules to think that they can carry as many mags as they want, as long as they use only two.
That's true, but they can't use ANY two, they have to draw reloads from the same place, whether belt pouch or pocket, throughout the match.

It's not lawyering, it's helping someone follow the rules that you admit are not a marvel of clarity.
__________________
If you're not shooting you should be moving. If you're not moving you should be reloading. If you're not shooting, moving, or reloading, you should be taping or picking brass. - Z.C.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved