IDPA and other shooting comp questions - STI - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM

IDPA and other shooting comp questions - STI

So, I am thinking of making a fool out of myself and going to an idpa event. What holsters will work with the marauder and how many magazines will I need to have? Anything else I will need? Thanks Pete
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Hey Pete,

Take a look at bladetech it is a good option for not crazy money. In terms if mags I would recomend 3 but 2 will work as well just more reloads to start at 11.

I use the gcode mag carriers but it is personal preference. I would also recommend three still idpa mag bases.

Hope to see you out at the club.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 05:34 AM

Using the STI Marauder in IDPA

I shoot an STI Eagle 9mm in IDPA. What you will need:

holster choices: CR-Speed, Blade-Tech, Double Alpha, Ghost, Comp-Tac

Belt: A good belt that is thick enough to support the weight, and the belt width should be able to fit the belts loops of your shooting pants easily.....I use a 1.25" wide belt that is thick enough to support the weight of the loaded mags and the gun.

Mag Carriers: You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed. I use three 126 mm STI 2011 flush fit mags.

Magazine base plates: You should use 126mm flush fit mags with their thinner base plates, since longer mags with thicker base plates will most likely not allow the gun to fit in the IDPA box, which would make the gun illegal to shoot in IDPA. However, the Match Director may not care at a local match.

You will also want to have good eye and ear protection; you will need a cover garment to conceal the handgun for most stages.

It would be a good idea to read the 2017 rulebook before your first match. You can go to the IDPA web site for the rule book: www.idpa.com

Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM

I meant to say the dawson idpa bases. They fit great and work in the esp box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM

I’m coming into this discussion late, but by all means, go to an event; perhaps your first one, just to watch. Most folks are very friendly, and if you speak to the people running the match and let them know you are thinking about shooting a match in the future, they’ll be very supportive.

I used my Eagle in IDPA and loved it. Bladtech holster and double mag holster; both paddle attachments.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed.
Uh, no.
IDPA only allows two reload magazines on your person unless your gun capacity is less than 8. You will never have to get more than 18 hits on one start, surely 31 rounds is enough. Things are different in USPSA or IPSC.

So three will get you by.
You only get ten rounds in each magazine plus one in the chamber to start.
So mark one magazine - I just put a target paster on the bottom - and load it with 11 so you can get to 10+1 with a minimum of gun handling.

As said, for regulation IDPA you will need 126mm magazines.
You might have to narrow that big mag well, too, The Box is 1 5/8" deep.
At a club match, they will probably be glad enough to see you not to hold you to the letter of the rules.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM

If your marauder came with the proper tactical magwell (has the cutouts on the sides) then you're still legal.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 AM

Extra magazines carried on your person for IDPA competition

Here is the information taken from the new 2017 rule book:

8.1.5 Loading Device Count

A. A “loading device” is a magazine, speed loader, or moon clip.

B. Shooters starting with 8 or more rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus two additional loading devices.

C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three additional loading devices.

D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus four additional loading devices.

E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-05-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Go shoot USPSA. Skip the IDPA phase. You'll thank me later
Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephns View Post
^^^^^ LOL...Funny, but right on point !
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 AM

I tried to like IDPA. The million rules and penalties just wore me out.

Very disappointing when you go and shoot really well, then the proceedurals get tacked on.

Bob
Old 03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
1911 Aficionado

If you are shooting well, you are not getting any penalties.
I might not shoot really well, but I doubt I've earned fifteen PEs in fifteen years of IDPA competition.
Read the rules and follow them.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I disagree. After shooting USPSA for since 2008, I shot my first IDPA match last week. I think it's a great way to start and may even be a better fit for someone who really wants to improve their concealed carry shooting. While hard core USPSA guys with complain about all the rules and not shooting enough rounds per stage/match, it can be a good thing for someone on a strict budget. That, and there really is no reason to spend hundreds on fancy belts, holsters and mag pouches.

So, I would say shoot whichever one is more convenient for you and if possible, both.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Best advice
Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangertrace View Post
I disagree. After shooting USPSA for since 2008, I shot my first IDPA match last week. I think it's a great way to start and may even be a better fit for someone who really wants to improve their concealed carry shooting. While hard core USPSA guys with complain about all the rules and not shooting enough rounds per stage/match, it can be a good thing for someone on a strict budget. That, and there really is no reason to spend hundreds on fancy belts, holsters and mag pouches.

So, I would say shoot whichever one is more convenient for you and if possible, both.
I agree and disagree. It's a bit like golf or any other sport which requires equipment to participate. You can spend a little or a lot.

You can go shoot USPSA Production with your standard Glock 19, bring 5-6 mags and some holsters, and have a blast. Yes, you're going to shoot more ammo. You can shoot from concealment if you want to, nothing says you can't. You can stay behind walls if you want, nothing says you can't. To me, more shooting is more fun, no matter how you spin it.

You can go spend tons of money too, if you want to play in those divisions. I did, and I love it. But you don't have to, you can run a leather belt, a paddle holster, and a bunch of cheap uncle mikes mag pouches and shoot and have fun.

If you're shooting either one to be competitive at a high level, you have to put money into it. Period.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
I agree and disagree. It's a bit like golf or any other sport which requires equipment to participate. You can spend a little or a lot.

You can go shoot USPSA Production with your standard Glock 19, bring 5-6 mags and some holsters, and have a blast. Yes, you're going to shoot more ammo. You can shoot from concealment if you want to, nothing says you can't. You can stay behind walls if you want, nothing says you can't. To me, more shooting is more fun, no matter how you spin it.

You can go spend tons of money too, if you want to play in those divisions. I did, and I love it. But you don't have to, you can run a leather belt, a paddle holster, and a bunch of cheap uncle mikes mag pouches and shoot and have fun.

If you're shooting either one to be competitive at a high level, you have to put money into it. Period.
The main difference is, if you shoot USPSA, you will most likely and very quickly feel compelled to spend more money on gear. I did and I don't regret it for a second. But now that I have a kid and a couple grand a month less spending money, I can see how IDPA could be a cheaper alternative.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM

And realistically, what we compete in may also be determined by work schedule, local clubs and family duties.

IDPA is vastly more available to me than USPSA. If I shot USPSA, with my current work/life balance, I'd shoot 1 match a month tops. With IDPA, I shoot 3-5 times a month.

OP, just take that 1st step and show up to a match, any match. See that the club assigns you a mentor and when you step up to the line, remind the SO/RO that this is your 1st time. Take your time and above all else, follow the safety rules. Focus on what you need to shoot, where you're going next, that you gun is always facing down range and you finger is never in the trigger guard unless you're aiming to take a shot.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1911 View Post
And realistically, what we compete in may also be determined by work schedule, local clubs and family duties.

IDPA is vastly more available to me than USPSA. If I shot USPSA, with my current work/life balance, I'd shoot 1 match a month tops. With IDPA, I shoot 3-5 times a month.

OP, just take that 1st step and show up to a match, any match. See that the club assigns you a mentor and when you step up to the line, remind the SO/RO that this is your 1st time. Take your time and above all else, follow the safety rules. Focus on what you need to shoot, where you're going next, that you gun is always facing down range and you finger is never in the trigger guard unless you're aiming to take a shot.
^^^
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Mag Carriers: You will need at least two mag carriers, and extra mags may be placed in your pockets if you think they may be needed.
Quote:
Uh, no.
IDPA only allows two reload magazines on your person unless your gun capacity is less than 8
There have been shenanigans concerning how many mags you are allowed to "carry".
The rules address how many you may use during a string, but not specifically now many you have on your person.
It was common when shooting the classifier, to have two mags on your belt for use on a given string, and three or four additional mags in a pocket, to avoid having to re-charge two or three mags during a 30-round stage.
It was also common to load hi-cap magazines to their physical capacity for the same reason; if you can shoot three, six-round strings with one mag, why bother with three mags?
The rules evolved to allow both the "carrying" of more mags than are going to be used, and loading more rounds than division rules, for the sake of efficiency.
What that led to, was people "carrying" two mags on the belt, and two mags in a pocket, and then mixing and matching to suit specific stages, sometimes drawing from the belt, and sometimes from a pocket.
Now, there appears to be no rule about how many mags you have on your person, but you must be consistent about where the mags are drawn from, making the total number of mags a non-issue.
Virtually everyone shooting CDP will have the mag in the gun, two reloads, and a barney mag in a pocket, and that's legal.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Now, there appears to be no rule about how many mags you have on your person, but you must be consistent about where the mags are drawn from, making the total number of mags a non-issue.
Virtually everyone shooting CDP will have the mag in the gun, two reloads, and a barney mag in a pocket, and that's legal.
Actually, there is a rule:
8.1.5 Loading Device Count
A. A “loading device” is a magazine, speed loader, or moon clip.
B. Shooters starting with 8 or more rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
two additional loading devices.
C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three
additional loading devices.
D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
four additional loading devices.
E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string.

Nobody is going to hassle you about a Barney magazine... until you reload the gun with it during the stage.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:57 PM
1911 Aficionado

That has already been posted in this thread; doesn't it address only how many you can "use"?
A,B,C, and D don't use that word, but I'm thinking E refers back to them?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 PM

Same question, same answer.
The rules are not a marvel of clarity but that is no reason to play bedroll lawyer.
The magazine in the gun and two reloads. Barney is a convenience but don't reload with it.
Just shoot.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM
1911 Aficionado

The barney mag is an example of a mag that you carry, that you don't use.

Because mags may be carried but not used, it might encourage someone who isn't familiar with the rules to think that they can carry as many mags as they want, as long as they use only two.
That's true, but they can't use ANY two, they have to draw reloads from the same place, whether belt pouch or pocket, throughout the match.

It's not lawyering, it's helping someone follow the rules that you admit are not a marvel of clarity.