Has anyone ever cut themselves with their knives? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 08:35 PM

Has anyone ever cut themselves with their knives?

I am just asking this question because many of the customers and other workers in my knife Dept. have cut themselves, this now includes me.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:40 PM

A knife really isn't yours until it cuts you the first time.

It's how we learn to respect our tools.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 PM

You are kidding us right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot2017 View Post
I am just asking this question because many of the customers and other workers in my knife Dept. have cut themselves, this now includes me.
Everybody cuts themselves on new knives.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Knives are sharp and made to cut. They don't care what.....
COTEP#782
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjed View Post
A knife really isn't yours until it cuts you the first time.

It's how we learn to respect our tools.
Well my new ZT flipper sure is really mine today, as i don't know what i did but i flipped it open, and somehow it must have not fully opened maybe because i was not holding it tightly or had it somewhat side ways in hand but the blade caught the top rear on my right hand thumb and gave it a nasty slash.

Truth is i was not paying enough attention to what i was doing and it was a big mistake, i really should have been giving it a lot more attention as flipper type knives are a new thing to me.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM

A better question would be "has anyone ever not cut themselves"? Of course, the answer would be no.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
A better question would be "has anyone ever not cut themselves"? Of course, the answer would be no.
I am glad we have gotten this out.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:17 AM

I even manage to cut myself with a sheet of paper.
So the answer is yes I' ve cut myself with my knives. Not proud of it, not ashamed either.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I grew up working in my dads butcher shop and was taught early on how to safely handle or be around sharp things, including knives, slicing machines, cleavers, chopping machines, saws,etc. There were a lot of people missing fingertips in his business.
I also use scalpels everyday on virtually every person I see. I can't remember the last time I cut myself.

I'll pass along my dads pearl of wisdom which is:

"A sharp knife has no friends"....be careful..and you won't get cut.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
I grew up working in my dads butcher shop and was taught early on how to safely handle or be around sharp things, including knives, slicing machines, cleavers, chopping machines, saws,etc. There were a lot of people missing fingertips in his business.
I also use scalpels everyday on virtually every person I see. I can't remember the last time I cut myself.

Not everybody gets to be a surgeon.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 AM

^^Was just offering some helpful advice that I grew up with. Firearms aren't the only thing to make safety first...
Old 02-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Like the sharp knife quote.

Yeah, I have bandaids and liquid skin near the sharpening gear. I've used both before.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
^^Was just offering some helpful advice that I grew up with. Firearms aren't the only thing to make safety first...
The advice is sound.

It's not that I'm careless. The right word might be clumsy.

PS. Also like the sharp knife quote. There is wizdom in those words.

Last edited by kurusu; 02-05-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
^this
COTEP #0523
Old 02-05-2017, 08:49 AM

I don't know today the exact reason it happened, i now think it did not fully open and i was trying to snap it open, my thumb was in the wrong place so the swinging blade hit it.
My real mistake was not paying enough attention to the knife, a mistake i will try real hard not to make again.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Have also been taught a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Interesting, I also worked in a meat market in my youth. It was my first job, started as a clean-up boy, went on to do everything else from there, worked there about 8 years. I think I nicked myself 2-3 times in those years.
Unlike you, I didn't go on to become a surgeon. I would suggest that by the very nature of your job, you probably are much more methodical than the average 'Joe' cutting something with his pocket knife.
It's always best to be careful. After the meat market, I went on to work in the woods, both logging and later surveying, using chainsaws. After that construction, so Skilsaws and tablesaws, etc. Been fortunate thus far.
L.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM

There are only two kinds of people, those who have and those who are going to. A better question is, who holds the record for the soonest after taking one out of the box? I scored under 60 seconds, that was many years ago. I still use the story when anyone uses my knife. I ask them if they think they can break my record, the caution seems to work, the record stands.

Last edited by STORM2; 02-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 AM

There is a lot more involved with controlling the fast opening flipper type knives, also closing them.

Another mistake i made was not really understanding there operation before starting to just flip it open.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
There is a lot more involved with controlling the fast opening flipper type knives, also closing them.
You already confessed to not really paying attention to what you were doing. Everything after that is moot. You can't win 'em all if you don't win the first one.
L.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I also worked in a meat market in my youth. It was my first job, started as a clean-up boy, went on to do everything else from there, worked there about 8 years. I think I nicked myself 2-3 times in those years.
Unlike you, I didn't go on to become a surgeon. I would suggest that by the very nature of your job, you probably are much more methodical than the average 'Joe' cutting something with his pocket knife.
It's always best to be careful. After the meat market, I went on to work in the woods, both logging and later surveying, using chainsaws. After that construction, so Skilsaws and tablesaws, etc. Been fortunate thus far.
L.
I won't say my younger days didn't help me learn at a young age. Nothing like working in refrigeration, cold hands, slippery product and a real sharp unforgiving knife to see how fast bad things happen. In those days, no one went to the ER, my dad stitched everyone up...
Today, for me, hepatitis,hiv, amongst others are very good reasons to have good technique with sharps things.
I get asked ( and criticized ) why I use chainsaws, demo saws ,hedge trimmers, etc around my property....full disclosure, nobody's perfect,,,,ruptured my bicep tendon a couple of years ago splitting ( or missing ) too small of a piece of wood with my splitting axe......
Old 02-05-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You already confessed to not really paying attention to what you were doing. Everything after that is moot. You can't win 'em all if you don't win the first one.
L.
I just hope my mistake and telling the forum about it, will somehow help someone else to pay closer attention to how they handle their knives.

Taking care of that healing thumb is a great reminder for me.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I won't say my younger days didn't help me learn at a young age. Nothing like working in refrigeration, cold hands, slippery product and a real sharp unforgiving knife to see how fast bad things happen. In those days, no one went to the ER, my dad stitched everyone up...
Today, for me, hepatitis,hiv, amongst others are very good reasons to have good technique with sharps things.
I get asked ( and criticized ) why I use chainsaws, demo saws ,hedge trimmers, etc around my property....full disclosure, nobody's perfect,,,,ruptured my bicep tendon a couple of years ago splitting ( or missing ) too small of a piece of wood with my splitting axe......
Good stuff, Plantar5. I was at a friends house one October afternoon years ago, cutting up his deer. The neighbor, who was a doctor, happened to stop by. He watched quietly for a while, and then commented something to the effect that perhaps I should be a surgeon. I pointed out my complete lack of experience with the whole 'putting back together' portion of the job, which he got a chuckle out of.
During my time at the market, I only remember one of the times that I cut myself specifically. That was boning hams. Cured in salt.
L.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:28 PM

I try to be carefull, but have to say yes it has happened, doing the final polish on a sharp knife always can be a little touchy.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:

From butcher to surgeon?

AND you're from Jersey?

Glad I moved out of NJ